It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarcasm Tags

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Would it be possible to add a sarcasm tag that works like the external quote tags? In real life we have tone of voice and facial expression cues to tell whether one is joking or not, on the internet it's not that easy. Even a sarcasm and joke emoticon would be helpful. Anyways, just thought I would toss that out there.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

In real life, we also have context. That continues to operate fine in a text medium.

I wonder if people just aren't doing sarcasm right.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: CrikeyMagnet
It's hard to tell. Some people are completely serious, and they seem like they are being satirical or sarcastic lol.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
This sounds like an amazing idea.

Oh wait you couldn't tell I was being sarcastic.

Seriously though it could help but eventually we will work out a way to integrate more communication methods into technology and social media, it is only a matter of time.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
It's hard to tell. Some people are completely serious, and they seem like they are being satirical or sarcastic lol.

actually I do that quite a bit, I think a lot of us do....I just write the word in, if I think someone wouldn't know if I was being sarcastic.....sometimes NOT notifying readers can cause others to think that's the true way you feel......that's good for an eyeroll

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I've seen people do their own.
[sarcasm] text [/sarcasm]
Will that not do, for the moment?

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Acronychal

Doesn't it interfere with the intended purpose of sarcasm, though? Sort of like a suspenseful movie that explicitly spells out every plot device intended to increase tension? Done correctly, there should be no need to explain...

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I think that is a good idea!

If I have a doubt, I usually ask the person right away- were you serious, or was that sarcasm?

Because it is sometimes hard to tell without voice inflection and facial expression.

But it also ruins some of the humor in it, to be explicit about it.

I've never been a big fan of sarcasm in general, because it seems like it so often used as a way of avoiding responsibility and accountability for what one says. But the french culture thrives on this principle, and calls it being "subtle" (instead of implicit) and considers it a show of intelligence to use it and understand it. So I try to adapt and mimic.

One of the things they like about it is that interpretting correctly relies heavily on shared cultural references, so that foreigners with a different upbringing will not be able to interpret correctly, and so then can be catagorized as "stupid".
It's like having a secret code within a club.

Usually, it suffices to say, "I didn't understand that. Can you say it more clearly please?" Or "you misunderstood my sarcasm, I will say it in a more concise way _____".

I am not totally sure that some sort of *sarcasm* indication would do away with misunderstandings though.
Readers might understand it was being sarcastic, but not necessarily what it was actually eluding to.
We might still have to ask for clarification from time to time.
And any momentary misunderstanding can always be exploited as a means of distraction when the discussion has become uncomfortable, or when one does not want to hear the real message underneath- those problems would still happen.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Exactly what I mean, there will be increased communication methods that won't require a giant label saying "this post is sarcastic". It will be more like talking, where social ques need to be picked up by the person, and not spelt out to them

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Acronychal

Exactly what I mean, there will be increased communication methods that won't require a giant label saying "this post is sarcastic". It will be more like talking, where social ques need to be picked up by the person, and not spelt out to them

The smileys used to be good for that- the rolling eyes one often worked to cue in on irony and sarcasm. But the ones we have now don't include that one anymore.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI
I try to remember to /sarcasm or /joke things, I forget sometimes though. If there was a visual cue like the box that ex and quotes get, or even an emoticon, it would be easier to see if it is left out.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma
Oh how I miss the eyerolley emoticon.
test?

Feel free to steal that code and use. I wish I thought of that before, uploading gifs works

edit on Tue, 25 Nov 2014 07:17:27 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
a reply to: Bluesma
Oh how I miss the eyerolley emoticon.
test?

Feel free to steal that code and use. I wish I thought of that before, uploading gifs works

Oh yay! Thanks!
I think I have missed that one the most!

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   

I think we both know that sarcasm is a subtle art and those that don't get it won't even notice the emoticon.

I'm beyond caring whether people recognize my sarcasm or not. As T. Petty said...."you believe what you wanna Believe"

but just in case...Thanks

edit on 25-11-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Boxes would be too intrusive. Imagine me talking, and suddenly punching in a sarcastic remark, it would look something like this:

"You think the Uncertainty Principle means that reality is purely subjective?

Sure, that makes sense.
Well let me tell you reality is very much objective, for every subjects are made of objects. "

See how it just doesn't flow right?

Emoticons would be just weird, too:

"You think the Uncertainty Principle means that reality is purely subjective?
Sure, that makes sense.
Well let me tell you reality is very much objective, for every subjects are made of objects. "

I agree with you that sarcasm should have an indicator, but I would suggest something like a simple text format:

"You think the Uncertainty Principle means that reality is purely subjective? Sure, that makes sense. Well let me tell you reality is very much objective, for every subjects are made of objects. "

Perhaps the format could be italic-to-the-left tags? You know, so that the text looks slanted to the left, like this:

That way we could differentiate sarcastic text from non-sarcastic text in normal italic.

Just my 2 cents.

edit on 25-11-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

originally posted by: Acronychal

The smileys used to be good for that- the rolling eyes one often worked to cue in on irony and sarcasm. But the ones we have now don't include that one anymore.

I used to use the little rolly eyed Icon to show I was thinking about the subject, looking up to the ceiling as I was deep in thought. I wasn't aware it was a sarchasm icon. I miss that little guy that I could misapply..

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
We used to have the eyeroll emoticon for that, but sadly that is no longer here... RIP eyeroll emoticon...

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
[sarcasm]What a great idea! [/sarcasm]

Seriously, though... how would the text appear to indicate sarcasm? I mean, bold appears bold, italics appears italicized and underline appears underlined. How would sarcasm appear? I think the above gets the point across without ambiguity.

I do miss the old emoticons. The eyeroll was perfect. RIP old emoticons...

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Seriously, though... how would the text appear to indicate sarcasm? I mean, bold appears bold, italics appears italicized and underline appears underlined. How would sarcasm appear?

I told you... left italic.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Or could use a different color to indicate it. I agree that the box idea doesn't look right now that I see it lol. I forgot that the box always takes up the whole width, and doesn't shorten itself to fit the length.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join