It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Taiwan Opposition Wins Parliamentary Vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
The opposition Pan Blue party has claimed a slim victory in the Taiwanese parliament elections today. The Pan Blue party based on calculations has won 115 seats in the 225 seat body and thus retains a majority over the pro independence party.

story.news.yahoo.com< br /> TAIPEI (Reuters) - Taiwan's opposition parties, which favor closer ties with China, claimed victory in the parliament elections on Saturday, beating President Chen Shui-bian's pro-independence party after a tight race.

"According to our calculations, the pan blue has won 115 seats and we have a majority," said Chang Jung-kung, spokesman for the Kuomintang (Chinese Nationalist) party, referring to the opposition color.

Parliament has 225 seats in total, of which 176 are directly elected and 49 are awarded to parties based on the percentage of the popular vote they win.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This election if it stands will no doubt allow the Chinese to breath a sigh of relief. If the pro independence party had won, there could have been the specter of rising tensions across the straight. China has threatened to invade the island nation if it moves towards independence. While I have no doubt that they could destroy the island nation, they would risk a greater conflict and perhaps more importantly to the, the 2008 Olympic games.

[edit on 12/11/04 by FredT]

[edit on 12/11/04 by FredT]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Actually, this relieves me a bit for now, too. I was thinking, man if the pro-independence party wins, and they do indeed push for independance, things could blow up there overnight. With our commitment by treaty to defend the nation, we could have easily been in some deep doggy doo doo, and at a very inopportune time. Maybe at least we can look forward to a period of relaxation over there.

new topics

join