It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protest used to mean something in this country!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Where's our god-forsaken righteous indignation these days?!

The day of the jackboot dawned upon us a long time ago, and we just accepted it. A country founded on rebellion, completely anesthetized and dulled out with bread and circuses. Poison in the water, the air, the food, blatant disregard for human life as long as it makes money.

Back in the seventies, we had groups like the Weather Underground, the Symbionese Liberation Army, the Black Panthers, organized platoons of dedicated individuals who actually knew what it meant to fight for freedom. Now, the only people out there fighting the government are terrorists with poorly justified ideologies and half baked plots.

The Symbionese Liberation Army managed to kidnap Patty Hearst, and instead of just holding her for conventional ransom, they convinced her to see their side of things. The public relations backlash against Hearst's father was enormous, especially when the SLA made demands for millions of dollars of food to be distributed to poor neighborhoods in need of some assistance in the here and now. Of course, Hearst Sr. cheaped out, and delivered sub-par slop. His own daughter then called him out on his cheapskate behavior. At no point was Patty hurt. They were professionals, up until the point the cops murdered them in the middle of their revolution.

Unfortunately, the original Black Panthers dissolved after inner turmoil, and the organization that calls itself the Black Panthers currently is more interested in furthering the interests of the Nation of Islam than actually promoting any sort of civic change.

Weather Underground has all but disappeared aswell.

It seems that civil disobedience has been bred out of the population. How, I can't exactly pinpoint. Probably a combination of factors, including left-over pharmaceutical chemicals in the drinking water, vapid media intent on dumbing down the masses, and so on and so forth.

We've still got plenty of psychos, but unfortunately, it seems revolutionaries have pretty much died out. Sad times.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
The majority of people here are too comfortable to rebel. Even in poverty most have cell phones, food, water, clothing, a bed. Yes we whine about "first world problems" (that stupid hipster media phrase invented to pacify us further by making us grateful we don't live in the "third world") but no one will do anything about it because the internet's still on, the beer is still around and our minimum wage paychecks still arrive.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Exactly. I will freely admit to being mostly satisfied with my life. I'd still rather be where I'm at than anywhere else. But it astounds me the number of people who get completely irate and spout off all sorts of drivel about "what's coming" and what they're "gonna do" and so on yet....nobody seems to want to actually do it.

edit on 24-11-2014 by Shamrock6 because: Reasons

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I'm mostly happy and I'm mostly comfortable. But seeing people oppressed, locked up under unfair laws, all the stuff we see on a daily basis makes me uncomfortable. We have so much by way of materialistic goods but we've lost so much when it comes to our rights and our freedoms.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Grifter42

That was before.

The days of domestic terrorism

The days of rubber bullets

The days of riot police

The days of cops indiscriminately dousing peaceful protestors with pepper spray

That was before the days of LRAD cannons

The days of agent provacateurs

The days of tear gas

The days of fear.

We need to face our fears. Stand up against them. Throw of the weights of our complacency. Fight.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

You know I often wonder what happened to the anti-war protester's so prevalent during the two Bush's admin's who have been totally absent now that Obomba is in office.

Maybe their thinking is "My guys in office so it must be right". I find the hypocrisy telling.

Before I get flamed, I find all three admin's despicable.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
people use to do a lot of drugs back then so I guess getting killed so that some poor people could get some food seemed like a good idea.

When you have little or nothing to lose,you lose little or nothing by revolting.Today most people have to much to lose by trying to upset the apple cart with protests and revolutions.most people realize that things could be better but they could also be a lot worse.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: dezertdog

I noticed it too. So Obama's protected in ways other presidents aren't? Of course and the hypocrisy is astounding.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

the only modern phenomemon you cite is LRAD

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: Grifter42
we had groups like the Weather Underground, the Symbionese Liberation Army, the Black Panthers, organized platoons of dedicated individuals who actually knew what it meant to fight for freedom..

They weren't dedicated individuals fighting for freedom. They were murderers, thieves, racists, kidnappers and thug terrorists.

The Symbionese Liberation Army managed to kidnap Patty Hearst, and instead of just holding her for conventional ransom, they convinced her to see their side of things.

Listen to yourself. They "managed to kidnap' an innocent woman, terrorize her, hold her for ransom. They used extortion from her relatives. They robbed banks. They threatened to kill people. She wasn't 'convinced to see their side of things'. She was TERRORIZED and brainwashed using terror and rewards and lies. She suffered from Stockholm Syndrome. You claim she wasn't hurt. That's absolutely not true.

Gawd ...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I was going to say you just won this thread, but then I noticed you're a flyers fan....*shakes head* best I can do is star it

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Modern as in?

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Imagine if reincarnation is true. I was a bank robber in my last life, gunned down in the streets like a dog. Can you imagine how relieved I am to be here in this world? No puritans, no kings, no inquisitions, no crusades, no blood sacrifices in secret death cults. I'm almost afraid to shake the tree at this point. ;p Yes we could have better, but much of history has been much worse. I think our souls are taking this age with a collective sigh of relief. Everyone needs a vacation from time to time.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

What happened? Occupy? Tea Party? Ferguson? Nope.

Apathy. Non-committment, and resolution to the fact that no matter what....it doesnt do any good. Think it does?

I guarantee you that a lot of those protestors had parents of loved ones at home saying "Youre PROTESTING today? Oh. Thats nice. When youre through, I put a nice meatloaf in the oven. Oh. And Kevin needs a ride to soccer."

Its what we found in the 60's and 70's. I was at the Detroit Riots, Kent State, Chicago...and we all were into White Panthers, Weathermen, S.D.S. (Students for a Democratic Society).

And you know what all that protesting, jail, deaths got us to? To this thread here...all it can possibly do? Is bring some minor, non lasting significance until another news story bumps the issue at hand. And Bill Cosby has another victim come
forward..........MS
edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

What happened? Occupy? Tea Party? Ferguson? Nope.

Apathy. Non-committment, and resolution to the fact that no matter what....it doesnt do any good. Think it does?

I'm not so sure. I think surveillance tech, tightly controlled media and perfected subterfuge techniques are keeping ALL of us from knowing if new activist groups are springing up. I'd argue the government today, nips such movements in the bud, sending participants to jail will-nilly, no due process like they got in the 60's and in turn and then giving them horrible plea bargains in the end. I think people ARE indeed trying to take action, but are quickly stomped out, rounded up by LEO's and NONE of it gets to the media, including blogger and Instagram journalists.

I'll give a simple example of something I thought for sure I would see in the streets during riots, but have yet to see it happen. During Occupy, protesters from EVERY city were easily dispersed by tear gas and flash bangs. Why? Didn't Occupy participants have knowledge that such tactics would be used against them? Did they not prepare to neutralize the effects, especially with some ex-military people participating? The rioters is Greece and Spain were not as easy to disperse, in fact they were not dispersed at all by LEO's.

So I'm supposed to believe that most protesters in the USA, NEVER, thought to prepare and have Goggles/eye-protection, shields, or safety/chemical respirators with them at all times? ALL OF THIS STUFF IS OVER THE COUNTER, but NONE of the protesters I have seen since the 1990's prepare with such equipment.

Another example, imagine if the cop at UC Davis that started pepper spraying the student protesters, only to find out that they ALL had respirators and goggles. Would he have started beating them with his night stick out of frustration? I would say, most likely, yes.

If you know you're going to get shot with rubber bullets and bean bag shotguns a defensive formation like the Ancient Roman/Greek Phalanx should be Standard Operating Procedure, but nope, they just stand around until the SHTF and then start running in every direction like being shot at by LEO's was an impossibility.

So whats different about American protesters versus Europeans? My guess is anyone that could teach them proper tactics to counter LEO's are quickly arrested on trumped up charges and threatened to never return to help the activists again "or else". American protesters are so poorly organized that I can't imagine them EVER having an ounce of success, but at the same time I think surveillance tech, tightly controlled media and perfected subterfuge techniques are ENTIRELY responsible for said poor organization and preparation
edit on 24-11-2014 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
They weren't dedicated individuals fighting for freedom. They were murderers, thieves, racists, kidnappers and thug terrorists.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

What about William Calley? What about them brave soldiers at Kent State, who shot all them vicious students? They murderers?

No, says the court of government opinion. They were doing their jobs. They were soldiers.

The SLA, the original Black Panthers, they weren't racist. The Weather Underground was overzealous, but the U.S. was conducting atrocities on ten thousand times the scale. And thug terrorists really sounds sort of racist in and of it's self. Like something an estranged relative would accuse the president of being in a FWD:FWD:FWD email.

You got me on the kidnapping thing though.

Listen to yourself. They "managed to kidnap' an innocent woman, terrorize her, hold her for ransom. They used extortion from her relatives. They robbed banks. They threatened to kill people. She wasn't 'convinced to see their side of things'. She was TERRORIZED and brainwashed using terror and rewards and lies. She suffered from Stockholm Syndrome. You claim she wasn't hurt. That's absolutely not true.
Gawd ...

Terrorism, terrorism, terrorism. That's all you ever talk about. They weren't terrorists. They were freedom fighters. Reagan funds death squads in South America to eradicate left wing intellectuals and dissidents, and those guys, you call freedom fighter, oh sure. But the people who targeted major banks and corporations, they're just terrorists.

And Hearst participated in bank robberies along with the SLA. If they're crooks, then so is she. Way I see it is that she was enlightened by the experience. And of course her rich ol' father is gonna pay to have the best "deprogrammers" turn her into another Rosemary Kennedy zombie husk.

The original Black Panthers was no terrorist group, either. They were founded as a watchdog against police brutality. Hoover sent his men in to sabotage the movement from within. There's reports of violence from the original Black Panther party later in it's existence, but this is after the government infiltrated it. Agent provocateurs are not unlikely to be the cause of this increased violence. Anyway, they disbanded soon after. Sabotage works, folks!

And by the way, the organization currently going by the name of the Black Panthers is almost entirely comprised of Nation of Islam . They disbanded the original organization for progressive leftist change in the community, and the Nation of Islam folks took it. Now, there's your target. Take your shot. You see anything wrong with the Nation of Islam? I am entirely neutral. I want your opinion.

But moving on from the people of the Islamic faith, I wish you a happy thanksgiving and may you have a wonderful weekend with your family.

edit on 24-11-2014 by Grifter42 because: Errors

edit on 24-11-2014 by Grifter42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grifter42
The funny thing is, the organization going by the name of the Black Panthers is almost entirely comprised of Nation of Islam radicalists. They disbanded the original organization for actual progressive change in the community, and the Nation of Islam folks took it. Now, there's your target. Take your shot. You see anything wrong with the Nation of Islam? I am entirely neutral. I want your opinion.

The FBI said Friday it has deployed about 100 agents to the St. Louis area ahead of the decision, in case demonstrators take to the streets

This number certainly doesn't include secret agents. Make no mistake surveillance tech, tightly controlled media and perfected subterfuge techniques are keeping ALL of us from knowing if new activist groups are springing up.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

The Symbionese Liberation Army managed to kidnap Patty Hearst, and instead of just holding her for conventional ransom, they convinced her to see their side of things.

Anyone wants to kidnap my daughter gets a bullet to the brain. "Nice" or not.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Anyone wants to kidnap my daughter gets a bullet to the brain. "Nice" or not.

Sure. You're you. You have sense, and morality, and reasoning beyond lust for money.

But Hearst's father was a combination between the Monopoly man and William Howard Taft after killing and eating the Monopoly man.
This man was a monster, who almost literally fed off the blood of the poor. The SLA saved Patty from a life of monotone grey upper-class drudgery. She woke up. That's a priviledge few get.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Yeah,back then they handled it like Kent state Ohio. Oh and don't forget the Chicago Democratic convention,and Watts and all the other places. They were all so peaceful and the cops didn't do things to hurt them. Right,they got out in the street knowing they were gonna get hurt.But they believed in what they were doing and that it would make things better.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join