It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top-tier espionage malware 'Regin' has been spying on targets since 2008

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
One must consider that this may have been another Chinese hack job or possibly, though unlikely, some uber rich Corp. trying to grab power via information.
edit on 26-11-2014 by BadwolfBratton because: Quote woes

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: stirling

This is why I think it was a surveillance device from day one.

You may be right. I worked for a company who maintained their own copy of the TCP/IP stack for their products (a large block of software going all the way from the device drivers to NIC's (network cards + connectors) to the actual sockets library used for applications development. Many of the source code modules, even senior engineers and architects were just not allowed to touch or even to try and understand, especially routing and encryption. Fixing memory leaks and faulty inter-process synchronisation that was OK.

Any new ideas to TCP/IP were/are introduced through RFC's (Request for Comments) and only universities like Berkeley and Stanford, who did all the research in conjunction with the NSA.

Then time and time again, we find some fundamental obvious bug that should have been fixed ages ago, still lurking there.

I agree that the stack is a primary infection point that the rest of it depends on. However, TCP/IP is an open source protocol where the entire source code is exposed to the developer. Companies that port it to their OS or controllers (legitimately) modify only the portions where their hardware and software must comply with the specs. On BCSD implementations, modifications to the BIND (DNS) are held close to the vest, and these are the most likely places to put the rest of the bug.
edit on 26-11-2014 by charlyv because: s

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Yea, I guess as long as people are aware the cameras
can be hijacked, and place them appropriately, like
not in their kids bedrooms and such.

It just really creeps me out that people can be accessing
cameras like that.

I would probably have outside surveillance cameras.

The only reason I brought it up is I was looking for apps
for my phone one night about 2 years ago, and there was
an app that would seek out any wireless cameras and attempt
to access them.

I never downloaded the app so I can't tell you if it worked
or not, it just creeped me out that there even was such an app.

Rebel 5

edit on 26-11-2014 by rebelv because: syntax

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: rebelv

Buddy given the security issues we face in today's society and the unwillingness and or lack of aptitude Police show regarding crimes like petty theft, vandalism, burglary, and even assault i have to say im considering purchasing an outside IP cam for my residence.

www.lightinthebox.com...

A couple of the above to be more precise. There dirt cheap and will offer endless peace of mind to both myself and family members.

I'm with you buddy. Outside cameras I would definitely consider getting,
if I owned my own home, but I live in an apartment, and the owner
would not like cameras in the hallway.

Rebel 5

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: rebelv
I'm with you buddy. Outside cameras I would definitely consider getting,
if I owned my own home, but I live in an apartment, and the owner
would not like cameras in the hallway.

It all depends on the layout of your apartment and where you're parked. When I lived in an apartment I put a camera on my car. In my current place I have a deal with my neighbor that we have a camera set up outside of his window so that we can have our cars covered.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: rebelv

I only rent a flat from a local housing association but given the fact that crime in the area is definitely on the rise despite the statistics to the contrary(Obviously doctored) i intend to mount an outside IP cam above the close entrance and outside my front door. Its a listed building(Outside anyway) but to be quite frank i dont give a dam considering the amount of bikes that have been stolen and houses that have been screwed by the influx of refugees into the area needs must im afraid. If "they" dont like it tuff, should they take the things down i will only put them back up.
edit on 27-11-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
How intriguing and shocking at the same time!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join