It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TIPS !

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: Denoli

originally posted by: Lysergic
a reply to: Denoli

Please stay home if you don't understand the dining experience.

Ooh I saw a rock move and it must of been you crawling from underneath it !

I do understand it !
Just like to have a meal and a drink !
Do you get that ?
Like earlier poster put !
As long as it's on a plate and warm I don't give a # !
And if any bad manners by the staff who's taking my money then I'll tell them or the manager !

If all you want is a warm meal on a plate, stick to buffets. They were made for people like you. Then nobody has to kiss your butt and you can grumble at the sneeze guard all you like and ask the serving tongs about the ingredients used in a particular item or about your allergies, etc.

I don't go to have my butt kissed !
I don't go to be asked about allergies !
Buffets ain't that bad to be honest !
Actually at least with a buffet you get what u want !
As much or little as you want !
And it's better then some guy who has his head so far up his arse he can chew his own collar bone !
Chefs deny ignorance !
You tell them it's wrong and they just can't hold there hand up and say I #ed up ,

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: Lysergic

Please stay home if you don't understand the dining experience.

Ooh I saw a rock move and it must of been you crawling from underneath it !

I do understand it !
Just like to have a meal and a drink !
Do you get that ?
Like earlier poster put !
As long as it's on a plate and warm I don't give a # !
And if any bad manners by the staff who's taking my money then I'll tell them or the manager !

If all you want is a warm meal on a plate, stick to buffets. They were made for people like you. Then nobody has to kiss your butt and you can grumble at the sneeze guard all you like and ask the serving tongs about the ingredients used in a particular item or about your allergies, etc.

I don't go to have my butt kissed !
I don't go to be asked about allergies !
Buffets ain't that bad to be honest !
Actually at least with a buffet you get what u want !
As much or little as you want !
And it's better then some guy who has his head so far up his arse he can chew his own collar bone !
Chefs deny ignorance !
You tell them it's wrong and they just can't hold there hand up and say I #ed up ,

Good! Problem solved! It works better for everyone. Please tell your friends who like to receive welfare from waitstaff that buffets are your preferred choice and maybe they should consider it, as well.

There's nothing wrong with buffets and it's actually where I go when I don't feel like getting waited on. I have to admit, though... I tip there, too.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

In time they will. Robots will become cheaper and more widespread, employers (ultimately the corporate heads) will see how robots are cheaper than workers in the long run. Will every field be replaced by robots? No. But the ones that we rely on like checkout people, waiters, all the small services we encounter will be robotic. People are being phased out, but it will not be a utopian paradise with billions sitting around and robots doing everything.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

I dont think so.

There was a noodle robot made for Japan. Some restaurants tried it and they liked it initially. The only problem? Tourists refuse to go to them since they didnt go to japan to eat noodles a robot made.

I wouldn't go to a place with robots serving me. I also like to cook my meals at home and when I DO eat out I dont go to fast food places unless the kid REALLY insists. Maybe artificial and dumb people who wouldnt know good even if it smacked them in the face would go to have a robot serve them.

The people at the top have been talking about this for some time, just like other trans-humanist ideals. In the end I see it like the flying cars of the 50s....BS.

edit on 11 24 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
What part of I live in the uk don't you get !
In the uk it works !
Pay them at least minimum wage and they don't have to kiss your arse !

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: tadaman

In time they will. Robots will become cheaper and more widespread, employers (ultimately the corporate heads) will see how robots are cheaper than workers in the long run. Will every field be replaced by robots? No. But the ones that we rely on like checkout people, waiters, all the small services we encounter will be robotic. People are being phased out, but it will not be a utopian paradise with billions sitting around and robots doing everything.

The need for the human touch will be eliminated from the service industry but it will never just be completely "replaced by robots". There will always be a market for people who want that interaction. Whether for nostalgia, or a some hipster street cred, human service will always be around.

Many people enjoy helping and being helped by other humans even if it's unnecessary. It's just something that makes us feel good and in-touch with our species. I totally dig the prospects of transhumanism and the future we have before us but there are certain things I think will surprise us down the road like our willingness to hang on to comfortable paradigms.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

I imagine I will charge more if my competition is a robot....bring it on. Fast food and microwave dinners were supposed to close us down, they only strengthened our demand.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

I imagine I will charge more if my competition is a robot....bring it on. Fast food and microwave dinners were supposed to close us down, they only strengthened our demand.

Agreed. I think there's plenty of room for innovation and old-fashioned coexisting profitably. It's been happening for decades now.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Hey if it works then cool.

Having worked in Europe, I would prefer an american dining experience any day. I never met greater under achievers than European servers (not all but many). I would take every table and customer they refused. When I started getting crazy tips they followed suit and the business actually picked up and did better. Who would have thought that people spend their money where they are most appreciated?

EDIT TO ADD:
I once got 100 euro tip on a bill of 5 euros and that was for always being willing to get the guy cigarettes from the machine, always kept his ashtray and table clean, made his drinks myself the way he liked them even though we had a barman, always kept his favorite wine in stock and would hide bottles for him so he was never without...on mothers day I would buy his mother a flower ect...and the best thing I did? I was truly his friend even though we were just server and customer. I talked to him and got to know him. He could walk in and just sit down. I would walk up to the table with his exact drink or coffee or what ever the exact way he liked it before I even first approached the table because I knew what he wanted depending on the time of day. Thats why he always tipped me and thats why one day he just gave me 100 euros even though he would always tip me well.

He was just ONE customer. I did this sort of thing for everyone. I memorized every customers preference, what they drank, how they liked things and how they wanted to be treated. Even the hard asses liked our place better just because I knew who wanted to be ignored and how. They felt that love and care. They responded accordingly. Its not even about the tips either. Customers deserve that. Servers deserve consideration too. Respect is mutual.

Thats why a robot will never replace me.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
It's pretty basic for me. Average service gets the 15%. Excellent service gets more. Poor service gets none.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

That's interstellar BS you're spewing that has no basis in reality whatsoever.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

That's interstellar BS you're spewing that has no basis in reality whatsoever.

I'm not going to look it up for you. Ask any wait staff if there is a minimum they must claim (thus paying for part of your meal if you don't tip) regardless of what they actually get tipped. It's a safeguard the IRS put in place to make sure they get a certain amount of tax revenue that servers can't cheat them out of.

When you don't tip, you are taking money out of their pockets.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Because some waitresses make only $2-3 an hour....and count on tips to exist. So...you sir...are the lowest...but Im sure that doesnt bother you?

Now...better wonder about that funny looking burger you get next time...

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The rant is from a meber of the UK.

It's a little different over here and our tip system is different, I have said this a few times on this thread but it seems to get missed.

Our waiting staff have the same minimum wage as any other industry. to us tipping is in simple terms optional.

Given the level of service we recieve it is not that hard to understand that the OP has an issue with tipping.

Please do not confuse this with the US way of doing things and act accordingly.

a reply to: mysterioustranger

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Because some waitresses make only $2-3 an hour....and count on tips to exist. So...you sir...are the lowest...but Im sure that doesnt bother you?

Now...better wonder about that funny looking burger you get next time...

I haven't called anyone a dumbass yet but you can have the trophy !

I was talking about the uk !
What's wrong with people earning 2-3 ?
Everything ! that is slave labour !

If I had to rely on tips is do something else !
Seriously sometimes you've just got to evaluate yourself and say NO MORE !

And it doesn't bother me that your all just watching it happen !

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
Please do not confuse this with the US way of doing things and act accordingly.

I'm Canadian.
I've worked in the service industry and I think my equation above is fair. It's said that you get what you pay for. This is the opposite. you pay for what you get. Great service = great gratuity(that the base term. Look it up all.
) Poor service = none. Trust me. There 2 people that servers remember. The good tippers and the bad. Guess who's getting preferential treatment?

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
That was the point I was tring to make, the OP is English, so we have a completely different way of doing things. We have no service charge so expect poor service.

When we are expected to pay extra for poor service it is annoying.

If I went to a country that had a service charge I would pay it but here we do not and any tip is for the "Extra" value we may recieve and not obligiotary.

With 12 years as a chef I should really champion this cause but when I got tips I earned them I did not recieve extra money because someone was obliged to give it to me.
a reply to: intrepid

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Nah, that's extortion.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
A gratuity is a "thank you for good service." That is remembered by the server. Maybe you guys don't get good service is because you don't tip. I get amazing service where I frequent.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Wow what different lives we must live?

You tip the barman? we tell the barman the beer is too expensive, agree that he has to deal with that pay, and that lifes a bitch.

Then we both nod at each other and move along, If regular we may offer to get the barman a drink and if they choose to "put it in" (keep the cash) we tend to refuse and demand they drink with us.

This is by no means a given thing and an act of friendship and acceptence.

a reply to: intrepid

edit on 1120141141pAmerica/Chicago2014-11-24T16:36:41-06:0036f36 by nonspecific because: unintentionally swore

edit on 1120141136pAmerica/Chicago2014-11-24T16:39:36-06:0039f39 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join