It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mountain squatting?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
sit tight until the die off has run its course, then take your pick of places to live-you'll have plenty to pick from.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Mountain people tend to think of those who have "vacation" cabins and second homes near them as squatters already. Many will not abide the legal owners arriving to occupy their own houses in a SHTF case. Real squatters will have no chance at all. They would be regarded as a new nest of poisonous snakes and eliminated for self-protection.

Don't even try.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I would say it's possible, just depends on what you're looking for. Finding a fully stocked cabin with all the comforts would be nice but chances are if it's in good condition/well stocked it has frequent visitors.

When the economy tanked many vacation homes in my neck of the woods were taken over by banks. Some were left unfinished and the majority aren't maintained. Weather/animals takes a toll so they're pretty rough.

There's several abandoned campers/trailers out here. The old guy across the road camped/hunted on weekends but he's in a nursing home now and the camper just sits there.

Buying a camper/squatting it might be a better option. One land owner/squatter lived in an old converted school bus for awhile. It could be packed ahead of time and quickly moved if someone hassled you.

If the sheriff/locals accidentally find you, squatters claim they own it or a family member does. As long as there's no complaints and you don't look like a criminal no one, except the owner, will question you or bother searching court records for proof.

A lot of the land out here is owned by out of state residents. Owners can have a tough time establishing ownership. Land changes hands, gets passed down/traded, paperwork gets lost and possession is 9/10 of the law LOL.

One eccentric guy claims his family still owns all the land out here, our place included. He shuts up when we mention the taxes.

If you're looking for a fully stocked mountain chalet in Aspen you'll be disappointed. We're at altitude but not so high we can't garden. I would say finding an isolated area first is key. A place with little to attract city types/developers.

We have two lakes nearby and a spring, plenty of fish and water can be hauled. Do your homework and good luck.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: earthart

Well, seems most people think about the mountains when they think about survival..which leads me to one conclusion...

I think I will start researching on how to survive in the desert.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: earthart

We are in the mountains, and the area is perfectly defensible from the likes of your kind. Don't expect not to get shot should SHTF..

just saying..

As my husband enjoys saying... "We got 75 miles of armed hillbilly's"... we do know who belongs, and who is an intruder.
edit on 24-11-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Montana
Mountain people tend to think of those who have "vacation" cabins and second homes near them as squatters already. Many will not abide the legal owners arriving to occupy their own houses in a SHTF case. Real squatters will have no chance at all. They would be regarded as a new nest of poisonous snakes and eliminated for self-protection.

Don't even try.

To be perfectly honest, they wont be getting that far most likely. If S really HTF, then entire areas will simply become inaccessible to the outside world.

edit on 24-11-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
once the power is off, no deliveries to the shops and no fuel, just how far will anyone WALK? in my country not very far. anywhere that is a decent distance from a large city will be a good place to be. give it a month + the few days worth of food that most people have and they'll either be dropping like flies or be too weak to go further than the garden gate or the front door.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
yep and while all of yous are fighting for the mountain cabins I will be in the least desirable place on the mountain hidden away somewhere where no one really would want to be. On the eastern side of the mountain since most of the radioactive rain will fall on the western side.

mother nature provides plenty of food but those who seek the mountain cabins will probably just pass by that kind of food while searching for the good stuff.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
i'll be sitting tight and not leaving my isolated rural area.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Most of the people with cabins near me in the mountains aren't mountain folk like the Appalachian ones.
There's rich folks who have them as a holiday cabin and only come up on the weekend. Most of them are also old and all the land is sold. My self and maybe six to ten others are hardcore enough to weather out a winter. We won't be wasting anytime if it's a bad collapse in blocking off the only road in.

While it's good though they like some folks who can keep an eye on things and are armed. We don't run into any problems from drifters and squatters. The Sheriff makes a little drive nearby once a year and all is well.

One of the old rich republican-types actually said he wouldn't have a problem if we raided his food for emergency supplies (if we were in trouble). Interesting people.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
380,000,000 people in the United States. Most of them living within 100 miles of the coast.

SHTF?

Move to Kansas.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Montana

Don't even try.

You dang skippy, we don't allow no city folk in these parts.

All y'all low landers need not try.

Just funnin,

If anyone is going to squat in a unknown cabin it may be hazurdes to their health.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join