It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Value of Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   
We all have flaws. Even the most righteous, heroic and legendary figures throughout history have had character faults and succumbed to human weaknesses. But how do you measure up in terms of righteousness, nobility and altruism in the context of modern times and current societal values?

I think most people believe they are relatively good people with only minor character flaws. While this is probably the case, I think the vast majority underestimate their potential to commit evil when their loved ones or the status quo are threatened.

For example: would you approve the death of 1000 complete strangers if it meant saving the life of your own child? Of course you would choose to save the life of your child. But what about those of the 1000 strangers with parents? Your child, to them, is but a statistic standing in the way of saving their child, just as theirs is to you.

A stranger with no family, friends, fame or possessions could die and you wouldn't care at all. This is not because you are heartless, but because you do not know them or have anything to lose from their death.

The worth of life lies in the value we place upon it, it has no inherent value.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I would willingly die knowing it would save thousands of people, yet, may kill thousands to save my children. You got me there.

If you don't look at things as good or bad, instead positive and negative perhaps it may shed some light. Further, considering the butterfly effect, sometimes bad things are necessary so the greater good can emerge.
edit on 24-11-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Life is breathing, that is all it is about.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Value is in the eye of the beholder.

But generally value is based on the availability of a thing. There is no shortage of people on this planet or life in general. So outside of the personal value one puts on their own life or that of their loved ones, life really has no intrinsic value.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

I profoundly disagree. One only has to look at Ferguson to know that life does have inherent value... at least, to most people.

I know neither Darren Wilson nor Michael Brown personally, nor do most of the protestors -- peaceful or otherwise -- but all share a common respect and sanctity for life. Most people find the thought of killing someone abhorrent. Most people are horrified to see a violent death. Most people grieve at the loss of life. Most people who kill someone for whatever reason -- even self defense -- do not walk away patting themselves on the back; they do spend the rest of their lives in a mental and emotional torment.

Our founding documents declare the right to life to be an inalienable right, not to be sold, given away, taken away, or otherwise transferred. If we don't have the most fundamental of rights, the right to life, then we have nothing. And that's pretty much where we are right now, as some people think they have the right to decide who deserves to live or die.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Since I think of existing on earth as "a PVP game with a story twist that most will not experience until the end", leaving this place is not such a big deal. I do think that the value I put on my life on earth is lower than it would be if I was in a all symbiotic existence where all worked together for the good of all beings.

I do have people that I need to be here for but if I did not I would probably have died long ago. I can only find reason for being in a place like this if I learn something, like the experience of being the player in the human game, or need to be here to help others.

So in a way from my point of view other peoples life are more valued than my own if they have a greater need to be here than I have, since my need is very low from my point of view.

Namaste
edit on 24-11-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

You'd kill thousands to save your children? I'm glad I never had any. I'd kill only to defend myself or another innocent from unwarranted attack. That's it. If civilization collapsed and it became dog eat dog out there, I'd have to find a good hiding spot fast, because I would not have the endurance to kill random strangers day after day just because they decided to try to become predatory towards myself or the people I loved. I'm very happy to say I've never killed anyone, and I'd like to leave this lifetime never having done so.

I don't know if I would die for others. I'd have to evaluate the situation. Even just one other person. Would I step in front of a bus to push a toddler out of the way? I don't know. I know I would have a hard time living with myself if I didn't.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

This is the internal conflict of humanity. When does the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nechash
a reply to: Rosinitiate

You'd kill thousands to save your children? I'm glad I never had any. I'd kill only to defend myself or another innocent from unwarranted attack. That's it. If civilization collapsed and it became dog eat dog out there, I'd have to find a good hiding spot fast, because I would not have the endurance to kill random strangers day after day just because they decided to try to become predatory towards myself or the people I loved. I'm very happy to say I've never killed anyone, and I'd like to leave this lifetime never having done so.

I don't know if I would die for others. I'd have to evaluate the situation. Even just one other person. Would I step in front of a bus to push a toddler out of the way? I don't know. I know I would have a hard time living with myself if I didn't.

I have a tendency to throw caution to the wind in general. I don't fear death, never really have. I do want to live of course and would prefer to do so happily and without bloodshed. This nonsense of bloodletting is something I rail agaisnt heavily on this site and not something I take lightly.

You never really know until the time comes and since I have never killed anyone, I can't honestly say how Id react in such a situation. All I know is when I see a dangerous situation I'm not the type to freeze, instead I generally find myself tilting. Let us both hope we will never have to be confronted with such realities.

edit on 24-11-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Sorry. Gotta post this:

The Button

edit on 24-11-2014 by gottaknow because: trying to post video

edit on 24-11-2014 by gottaknow because: (no reason given)

top topics

join