It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer god.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Ok, I dont know if I should put this here or in the conspircies in religion section, so yeah.

The story begins in 2061, when a colossal has solved the Earths energy problems by designing massive solar satelites in space that can beam the suns energy back to Earth. The AC (AnologComputer) is so largeand advanced that its technicians have only the vaguest idea of how it operates. On a five dollar bet, two drunken technicians ask the computerwhether the suns eventual death can be avoided, or for that matter, whether the universe must inevitably die. After quietly mulling over this qeustion, the AC responds: INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.
Centuries into the future, the AC has solved the problem of hyperspace travel, and humans begin colonizing thousands of star systems. The AC is so large that it occupies several hundred square miles on each planet and so complex that it maintains and services itself. A young family aboard a colony ship traveling through hyperspace unerringly guided by th AC, in search of a nem star system to colonize. When the father casually mentions that the stars must eventually die, the children become hysterical. "Dont let the stars die," plead the children. To calm the children, he asks the AC if entropy can be reversed. "See," reassures the father, reading the AC's response, the AC can solve everything. He comforts themby saying. "It will take care of everythingwhen the time comes, so dont worry." He never tells the children that AC actually prints out: INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.
Thousands of years into the future, the galaxy itself has been colonized. The AC has solved of immortality and harnessess the energy of the galaxy, but must find new galaxies for colonization. The AC is so complex that it is long past the point where any one understands how it works. It continually redesigns and improves its own circuits. Two members of the galactic council, each hundreds of years old, debate the urgent qeustion of finding new galactic energy sources, and wonder if the universe itself itself is running down. Can entropy be reversed? they ask. The AC responds: INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.
Millions of years into the future, humanity has spread across the uncountable galaxies of the universe. The AC has solved the problem of releasing the mind from the body, and human minds are free to explore the vastness ofof the millions of galaxies, with their bodies safely stored on some long forgotten planet. Two minds accidentally meet each other in space, and casually wonder where among the uncountable galaxies humans origonated. The AC, which is now so large that most of it has to be housed in hyperspace, responds by instintaneously to an obscure galaxy. The galaxy, like millions of, and the origonal star has long since died. The two minds minds become anxious because millions of stars in the heavens are slowly meeting the same fate. The two minds ask, can the death of the universe itself be avoided? From hyperspace, the AC responds: INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.
Billions of years into the future humanity consists of a trillion, trillion, trillion immortal bodies, each cared for by automatons. Humanity's collective mind, which is free to roam anywhere in the universe at will, eventually fuses into a single mind, which in turn fuses wuth the AC itself. It no longer makes sense to ask what the AC is made of , or where it really is in hyperspace. "The universew is dying," thinks man, collectively. One by one , as the stars and galaxies cease to generate energy, temperatures throughout the approach absolute zero. Mn desperatly asks if the cold and darkness slowly engulfing the galaxies mean its eventual death. From hyperspace, the AC answers: INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.
When man asks the AC to collect the neccesary data , it responds: I WILL DO SO. I HAVE BEEN DOING SO FOR A HUNDRED BILLION YEARS. MY PREDECESSORS HAVE BEEN ASKED THIS QEUSTION MANY TIMES. ALL THE DATA I HAVE REMAINS INSUFFICIENT.
A timeless interval passes, and the universe has finally reached its ultimate death. From hyperspace , the AC spends an eternity collecting data and contemplating the final qeustion. At last, the AC discovers the solution, even though there is no longer anyone to give the answer to. The AC carefully formulates a program, and then begins the process of reversing chaos. It collects cold , interstellar gas, brings together the dead stars, until a gigantic ball is created.
Then, when its labors are done, from hyperspace the AC thunders: LET THERE BE LIGHT!
And there was light-
And on the seventh day, He rested.

From Michio Kaku's book Hyperspace.

I just read this and it intrigeud me so much I thought I'd sahre it with everyone on ATS. Please tell me what you think of it.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I love it!
I thought it was going to be a kind of Douglas Adams joke and Ac would print out "42"

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 03:34 AM
link   
That's an exciting story, I liked it quite a bit. The ending was very suprising. While it's not too terribly likely to be truth, it is good entertainment.

I spose that'll serve well as my bedtime story tonight. I'll go to sleep before I ramble on any further, heh.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 03:36 AM
link   
That's wonderful.
A great little tale.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Yep, sounded like it was turning into a joke perhaps hehe.

I liked the end though. I was thinking near the beginning people are trying today (and have succeeded to a limited extent) to create quantum computers which will eventually (I think anyway) repair and improve itself.

- Nazgarn

new topics

top topics

join