It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sodas Banned From California Schools.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I think it's getting really stupid and rediculous. Because I was reading the newspaper the other day and it was saying that starting the year 2005 that sodas and soda machines will be banned from all elementary, junior high, and high schools in California. The state wants to ban them because they say that it promotes child obesity. I think this is really dumb of the state to do, what do you think of this?

P.S. I'm too lazy to look for a link, but it's true.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 11:02 PM
link   
To tell you the truth... I dont think its such a bad idea. Soda drinks are bad for you. And they do make you fat if you drink a lot of it because of all the sugar they contain. They also have a lot of caffeine. But hey its a "free" country so I see how you can think its stupid. I used to drink a lot of soda but I quit like 5 months ago and Im not sorry I did.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 11:28 PM
link   
On question:

Without a ready source of caffine, how are the kids going to stay awake in class?

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I drink like 6 sodas a day (caffeinated of course), and i'm skinny as hell......... It's not quite the soda that is causing obesity, it's most likely that the kid eats (eats not drinks) a bunch of junk fast food (which I too eat a lot of, yet im still skinny). Maybe these kids just sit on their asses all day (well maybe not, I sit on my ass all day and im still skinny). I don't really know what's causing their obesity? But surely it can't be due to their soda intake only?

[Edited on 2-6-2003 by Attero Auctorita]

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Without a ready source of caffine, how are the kids going to stay awake in class?

Good question. Ok I change my mind. Soda's for all the kids!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 07:04 AM
link   
This surprised you how?

California, the Orwellian Re[ublic of California, banned smoking in all restaraunts AND bars. Many cities have banned smoking period.

Remeber the movie demolition man? I rest my case

Be Well!

LMAO

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I never had pop in school. It was milk or water. Actually we weren't allowed to leave the school, you had 15 minutes to eat the govt. food or what you brought to school. Kids are way to spoiled these days, especially in the larger cities. School started at 8:30 and ended at 3:40 Monday - Friday. Not like schools in larger cities where you get out at 1 or 2 o'clock some days, and then you have people talking about year round school. Just keep them in school during the school year - geeez.

As far as the pop goes, it's all about glucose. Your body will use the sugar for energy instead of using body fat. Instead of pop, they should have green tea.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I absolutely hate this! paranoid parents blaming everything but themselves for thier childs weight/health.

Another thing that bothers me is 'fat free' foods, the majority of people think they can eat them and lose weight... U have to work out to lose weight, u have to practically kill urself physically to burn off that stuff and build muscle.

But maybe i think differently from a fat kid cos i'm reasonably well built, take part in sports and work out regularly...

If u wanna lose weight without medical assistance then exercise!!!, dont blame it on soda's and tv.

Argh! Dieters really annoy me with thier moaning!

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 01:47 PM
link   
California lawmakers are idiots,I know,I live here.The soda is not the problem.Its the lazy kids.Most kids don't play like we did when we were younger.They sit inside and play video games and watch t.v.And the kids get tons of homework.So time that could be used for playing outside is spent inside doing homework.I;m willing to bet getting rid of soda in school will do nothing to help obesity in kids.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 03:12 PM
link   

banned smoking in all restaraunts AND bars. Many cities have banned smoking period.

I agree with the smoking ban. There's nothing that pisses me off more than somebody smoking next to me. If you want to smoke at home hey fine by me. But not when you're in public among other people.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Great idea

Banning caffine and suger products from schools can only serve to help kids.

Lower caffine levels make it easier for students to learn without gettting hyper s coming of suger in a down time.

Schools should be in the role of providing nutritious food and drinks for kids when they are there. They have a moral obligation to teach kids the difference between healthy eating and junk eating.

Its a no lose sitation, except for the soda suppliers and who cares about them?

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I agree that taking sodas out of schools is really just another attempt to distract people from any real problems while acting like some action to help kids. The truth is the schools here in Calif. are so backasswords anyway who cares about sodas and soda machines. I live in Ca. and have my whole life. I went to public schools my whole life too. Kids aren't fat cause of soda, they are fat cause they are lazy bastards, just like the huge % of fat lazy bastards that are everywhere in this country. If they really wanted to help kids in school, how about teaching them the truth about how the government and society works. How about cleaning up the inner city schools so they don't get shot by gang-banging idiots that are only at the school to sell drugs, pick-up high school chicks and to annoy everyone else who might actually want to learn so they have the chance at improving themselves. Teachers get paid sh*t wages, our great leaders cut funding for education to fund war, classes increase in size every year while losing teacher aids and faculty to support em. I mean come on....that is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to problems in public shcools in Calif. and you're telling me the top of thier list is the f**king soda machines!!!!

Just one more thing....Ocelot, I respect your opinion on the smoking thing....But the whole anti-smoking crap in california is getting out of hand seriously. I'll even respect the fact that they should keep it out of anywhere where you're eating or buying food, or even places where it may have an ill effect on someone for health reasons....But a bar?????? What the hell is going on here????? It's not a f*cking health club, or a gym people...It's a bar where you go and drink the most uncontrolled and accepted poison there is. If you are such a wuss as to go into a bar and drink and then wine about some smoke, then next time go hang out with the old folks and play bingo and drink with them and let us big kids play at the big kids table. I mean in some places you can't even smoke outside anymore???? That is the biggest sell out cry baby campain to ever hit this country, when this country was built on the tabbacco industry. Didn't mean to pick on you or anything Ocelot, but I hate this whole anti-smoking movement...If people don't like it fine, but let's not go nuts here people.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I think it�s a good idea to ban sodas in school. You should have seen the halls of my high school; every wall was plastered with coca-cola posters/flyers. There was a soda machine on every floor of every building too. Clearly, coke and the wake county public school system had become business partners. I felt this gave the coca-cola corporation an unfair influence over the education system. Sodas are extremely addictive and soda corporations target young children with the same mentality that cigarette corporations do.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 04:24 PM
link   
You people seem like the banning of the sodas will actually help the kids get more education, please snap out of it.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Bring up people in the way they should go and they will not depart from it (much)

Bad food with kids is more dangerous than bad food with adults.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot

banned smoking in all restaraunts AND bars. Many cities have banned smoking period.

I agree with the smoking ban. There's nothing that pisses me off more than somebody smoking next to me. If you want to smoke at home hey fine by me. But not when you're in public among other people.

LoL ocelot, come out here and say that...while I don't smoke myself, I'm not going to stop anyone who does from puffing a nice fat smoke ring in your face.

By the way cigarettes are for sissys, and probably do more harm than cigars or pipe...in fact, pipe tobacco smells really good, and clean

Ban the cigarettes those things are just nasty piles of deadly chemicals.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Oh PS, I am just more or less jokin with ya Ocelot, but the government shouldn't govern moralities.

Anyways...

Why doesn't the California School Districts focus on Banning and Getting rid of Drugs before they try to get rid of Sodas?

California's priorities are so messed up, it wouldn't be a shame if the whole state sank into the sea like Atlantis.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 11:17 PM
link   

ocelot, come out here and say that...while I don't smoke myself, I'm not going to stop anyone who does from puffing a nice fat smoke ring in your face.

He that happened to me once about 2 years ago. In Puerto Rico it is illegal to smoke in public places like in malls or restaurants. I was in the mall eating with my gilrfriend at the time and this a$$hole in the table next to us lights up. I respectfuly told the guy he couldn't smoke in here because it was illegal. The guy smiled right at me and blew smoke right in my girlfriends direction just to piss me off. So I slapped the ciggarette outta the guys mouth and I punched him right in the face. I left really quickly with my girl b4 mall security got there. But you can bet your ass that he will think twice before he tried that again with somebody else.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 11:22 PM
link   
See, that's ok because I know for a fact Cigarettes are disgusting, you shouldn't have slapped it out of his face, you should have smashed it into his face

Also when it is illegal don't do it...that whole "civil disobediance" thing will only make things worse in such matters lol

But if you could smell that sweet tobacci from my friend's pipe, man you'd be saying "Let them smoke"

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 11:28 PM
link   

But if you could smell that sweet tobacci from my friend's pipe, man you'd be saying "Let them smoke"

Sounds like its not tobacco he's smoking.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join