It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Castro's Cuba: Is The End Near?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
US Interests Section Chief James Cason, a top American diplomat in Cuba, reports that Castro supporters are preparing for a transition to democracy. Castro dissidents as well are dream planning for a Cuba that is different from ages past. But Cuban leaders are confident that the island will retain its current political system for many years to come, with an aging but capable 73-year-old brother and Defense Minister Raul Castro in line at #2.

ap.tbo.com
HAVANA (AP) -There was no immediate reaction from Castro's government, which traditionally takes several days to respond to statements by American officials. In the past Castro has accused Cason of being a "bully with diplomatic immunity" charged by Washington with trying to provoke the island.

Bush has steadily tightened the long-standing U.S. trade and travel restrictions on Cuba. Earlier this year, the Bush administration issued new rules based on recommendations by a presidential panel, which outlined the role the United States could play in a transitional, post-Castro Cuba.

Cuban officials say the recommendations amount to a blueprint for overthrowing their government, a charge American officials deny.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have always wondered how a communist dictatorship could have existed for so long, so close to US shores. You really gotta hand it to Castro for hanging in there somehow despite all the US pressure, the missile crisis, Bay of Pigs, and trade embargoes. Unless major action is taken by the US, I don't see any changes anytime soon to Cuba. Bush has much bigger fish to fry over in the axis of evil.

Related News Links:
www.google.com
www.google.com
www.cia.gov

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Cuba rejects US hurricane relief
Cuba to end circulation of U.S. dollar by Nov 8th

[edit on 11-12-2004 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 01:21 AM
link   
The real question is who is Castro's heir apparent? I am actually quite surprised that Cuba has managed to limp along after most of the Soviet Era support was pulled. The question is is it going to be a real demoacracy. Saddam also "ran" for office every few years as well

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I always wondered who was in line after Castro because I never knew of any children he had. A 73-year-old brother and Defense Minister Raul Castro answers my question
But that guy is no spring chicken either so who knows if Castro will out last him too.

I have to give Castro credit how many US presidents has he lived to see come and go?

Sep

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I always wondered who was in line after Castro because I never knew of any children he had.

I always thought he had afew kids. This is just off the top of my head, but I remember in an interview where he talked about how he couldnt spend as much time with his kids as he wanted.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I hope that decrepit thug dies tomorrow. I have a special cigar that I am saving for that very special day. I can hardly wait.

[edit on 04/12/11 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I think you are right I search quick on google and it says he has a daughter Alina Fernandez.

Heres a interesting story about her

When Alina Fernandez first met Fidel Castro, he gave her a little guerrilla doll version of himself, complete with olive-green fatigues, facial hair and a military cap.

Only a toddler at the time, she instantly hated the toy and tried to rip off its tiny beard.

It was 1959 and Ms. Fernandez didn't yet know that the newly installed Cuban dictator was her biological father, or that she was the love child of his tryst with a married Havana socialite.

Not sure about other kids but I doubt she could take over control of Cuba after him.

havanajournal.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
From what I know, Fidel's son, Fidelito, who is seen with him in pretty much all of his public appearances, is being groomed by Fidel himself to take over when Fidel either dies or relinquishes power. Fidel has 3 sons, and one daughter.

Fidelito...

Alejandro and Antonio

Alina

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I hve never given cuba much thought except for those times when refuges came in their boats and of course the bay of pigs.

What I will say though, if who ever follows in Castro's footsteps maintains the country like the people maintain their vintage cars, Cuba will be the same for many years to come.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I hope the slimey SOB drops dead of a painful death as he flashes back to view all the harm he caused millions.
SOB and slime are words too good for him. Perhaps a resounding "Hijo de Puta" is a better term.

I will never forget being at the Havana Airport when i was 8 years old with my parents who were well to do in Havana, having to give up our home and businesses to the SOB so we could leave. We were only able to leave with the clothes on our backs and they took my mothers wedding rings off her at the airport.

May your agony be long and prolonged.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I hope the slimey SOB drops dead of a painful death as he flashes back to view all the harm he caused millions.
SOB and slime are words too good for him. Perhaps a resounding "Hijo de Puta" is a better term.

May your agony be long and prolonged.

Is the Spanish Language used in Spain the same as that used in Cuba?

I have always understood that both SOB and "Hijo de puta" meant the very same thing.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I hope that decrepit thug dies tomorrow. I have a special cigar that I am saving for that very special day. I can hardly wait.

[edit on 04/12/11 by GradyPhilpott]

If is a "Cuban" cigar you could be arrested for just for having it in your possession

Well now that Cuba, could be free and "democratic" perhaps the Cuban community will invest their time and present back in their country and take back the best interest of their fellow Cubans at hart and help them get back to their feet and into a better Cuba.

I hope they just don't forget about their own.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Shots, YES, only in Spanish, it sounds ten times wose!

Yes, Cuban Spanish is the closest to real Spanish.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Shots, YES, only in Spanish, it sounds ten times wose!

Yes, Cuban Spanish is the closest to real Spanish.

I was told once by a Spanish Colonel it was the worst thing you could call a Spanish Male. I lived in Spain for 8 years 2 near Zaragoza and 6 on Mallorca and loved every darn minute.

Ah send me back to Puig Major, I can take another 8 years any-time.

The British used to call it (Mallorca that is) the poormans French rivera.

Need I say any more?

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Personally I don't think Castro is that bad, for a dictator. I have to give him credit for surviving the capatialists idiots in Washington. I can imagine that Cuba will thrive if we open trade with them. They survive without our trade and just think how much money they would make out of cigars and sugarcane. Before Cuba went communist it was a popular tourist attraction, so I can see an economy with lot's of American vacationers spending big bucks on their island. Watch the movie for McHael's Navy, it's pretty funny.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Castro is not that bad as a dictator?..... Why in the hell do people talk about things they obviously know nothing about?.....

DG...I too remember when I was 8 years old and was in the airport saying goodbye to half of my family in Cuba with my parents....everyone that leaves Cuba does so very poor, but the change is always for the better.

Shots, i lived in Spain for 10 yeasr, with my other half family members including my parents, i think nearly all Cubans can trace their descendants to Spain, the Canary Islands etc. That i remember even in Spain they call it Mayorca, I am not sure how they call it in the island, but people in the mainland call it Mayorca, it is part of what is called "Las Islas Baleares." It is a shame I never visited those islands.

I loved it in Spain also, of course it was better than in Cuba, but I missed/miss my family including my two sisters who stayed behind with their mother in the country of that $^$&^$#%*..... Cuba is not the country of Cubans..it is the country of Fidel Castro unfortunately.

BTW, quite a few members of Castro's family, including his daughter, hate the despot sob...and know what he truly is....a murdering bastard who keeps getting rich as the Cuban people go through the worse hardships anyone could imagine. I do hope like most Cubans, and Cuban-Americans that the bastard of Castro and his entourage find a rapid and cruel destiny....... Better yet, he and his followers should suffer what he/they made the Cuban people suffer.

[edit on 11-12-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Castro is not that bad as a dictator?..... Why in the hell do people talk about things they obviously know nothing about?.....

DG...I too remember when I was 8 years old and was in the airport saying goodbye to half of my family in Cuba with my parents....everyone that leaves Cuba does so very poor, but the change is always for the better.

Shots, i lived in Spain for 10 yeasr, with my other half family members including my parents, i think nearly all Cubans can trace their descendants to Spain, the Canary Islands etc. That i remember even in Spain they call it Mayorca, I am not sure how they call it in the island, but people in the mainland call it Mayorca, it is part of what is called "Las Islas Baleares." It is a shame I never visited those islands.

I loved it in Spain also, of course it was better than in Cuba, but I missed/miss my family including my two sisters who stayed behind with their mother in the country of that $^$&^$#%*..... Cuba is not the country of Cubans..it is the country of Fidel Castro unfortunately.

BTW, quite a few members of Castro's family, including his daughter, hate the despot sob...and know what he truly is....a murdering bastard who keeps getting rich as the Cuban people go through the worse hardships anyone could imagine. I do hope like most Cubans, and Cuban-Americans that the bastard of Castro and his entourage find a rapid and cruel destiny....... Better yet, he and his followers should suffer what he/they made the Cuban people suffer.

[edit on 11-12-2004 by Muaddib]

I know what you are saying the LL is pronounced like a y which comes out sounding like Mayorca in English. Kind of like prornouncing Paella. pa�el�la (p�-�l��, p�-��ly�, -��y�)

Honestly that was the easiest part of spanish to pick up on when pronouncing the words. If the had a double ll you pronounced it like a y. and J's of course where pronounced like an H or close to it.

My main problem was usage of the verbs Estar or is it Estoy, hey how about Estamos? Ah forget it that was over 40 some years ago anyhow.

Now insert
to my butt for forgetting all I learned in Spain.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Muaddib, we can disagree on a lot of things, but you and i will never disagree on this monster.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I don't nessesly like Castro, I just think that theres a lot of dictators worse than him. I'm sorry for what you guys had to go through, but think of it this way. If Castro dies there will be some chaos and chaos makes dictators make even more brutal desicions. If Castro dies, somebody worse could come into power.

Anyhow why do we have an embargo on Cuba, Chinas communist and they make virtually everything the US owns. Just because Cuba has a dictator nobody likes doesn't mean we should punish the Cuban people.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
shots:

Fidel es malo- he is bad

Fidel esta malo- he is sick

estamos mal- things are bad

Fidel estuvo malo- he was sick

El estara malo- he will be sick

with any luck all of the above will apply.

new topics

top topics

join