It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
originally posted by: MyEyesSeeTooClear
So, earlier this year we were discussing arguments for/against the existence of God.
One of the arguments for it was St. Aquinas 3rd way of existence.
"Thomas Aquinas, also Thomas of Aquin or Aquino, was an Italiam-Dominican friar and priest and an immensely influential philosopher and theologian in the tradition of scholasticism, within which he is also known as the "Doctor Angelicus" and "Doctor Communis". "Aquinas" is from the county of Aquino, an area in which his family held land until 1137. He was born in Roccasecca, Italy."
Here it is,
If someone does not know the term contingent,
1.subject to chance:
You can imagine the opposite of something contingent. Unlike necessary truths like math.
Some things are contingent.
2. Either everything is contingent or at least one thing is necessary.
3. If everything is contingent, then everything had a beginning in time.
4. But if everything had a beginning in time, then there would have been a time when nothing was.
5. And if there had been a time when nothing was, then nothing would ever have come into existence.
6. Yet, there is a universe.
7. So, it is false that there was a time when nothing was (from 5 and 6).
8. So, it is false that everything had a beginning in time (from 7 and 4).
9. So, it is false that everything is contingent (from 3 and 8).
10. So, at least one thing is necessary (from 2 and 9).
What do you all think of this, and how would an argument against this be given?
What you are actually is beyond words, but it would be not untrue to say you are nothing whatsoever other than pure, infinite, disembodied consciousness/intelligence; a field of miraculous infinite light; God dreaming itself; an infinite point of pure potential; or the infinite implications of nothing whatsoever.
The immediate presentation of this unspeakable actuality is the field of your experience, which is an instantaineously appearing virtual field of Radiant Presence as apparent qualities. This is the actuality of which every/ and any/ thing that you think exists consists. This is inclusive and complete; nothing whatever other than this field exists. In short, the entirety of Reality is the "bubble" of YOUR experience, the field of Radiant Presence, which alone exists.
This is the totality of Reality. This is not theoretical, but is actually, immediately real; always the case right here right now.