It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spiral City - A home beneath the waves.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Would you like to be under the sea in a giant metal spiral in the shade?

ith dry land increasingly at a premium, a Japanese construction company has come up with a plan to sink a spiralling city into the depths of our oceans.
Each Ocean Spiral will be home to about 5,000 people, according to Shimizu Corp., with each structure also incorporating business and office facilities, hotel and entertainment facilities.
A blueprint for the city of the future was unveiled in Tokyo this week, with Shimizu confidently predicting that the first of its underwater cities would be ready for residents to move in as early as 2030.

The major drawback of “Ocean Spiral” is, predictably, the logistics. Construction of the structure would take five years and cost over three trillion yen (US$25.4 billion). Scientists involved in the project, however, are confident that the idea for “Ocean Spiral” can be made into a reality sometime between the years 2030-2050.

For further details and illustrations, please take a look at this downloadable PDF file from Shimizu Corporation. Even if you can’t read Japanese, you can still marvel over the gorgeous conceptual artwork. Also, although the project’s English language site is not up yet, you can read about Shimizu’s previous two “Dream Series” entries here, which include a plan to use a “Luna Ring” to generate lunar solar power.

The previously mentioned spiral-shaped tube will actually reach 3,000-4,000 meters (9,843-13,123 feet) down to the depths of the ocean floor and connect to a resources development plant which will mine mineral resources on the ocean floor. In addition, the structure would also support deep sea fish farms and be equipped with a water processing facility to convert seawater into fresh water, among other exciting features.

Telegraph
Sounds fantastic, and frankly I want one now, but it looks like one will have to wait till 2030 before they can move in.

Still, what a way to retire.

Rocket News

On Tuesday, engineering company Shimizu Corporation announced the third entry in its “Shimizu Dream Series”–an idea for a futuristic deep sea underwater city named “Ocean Spiral.” The concept was developed over a period of two years through collaboration with Tokyo University, Saga University, the Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology [JAMSTEC], and other leading research partners.

Although the project has a hefty price tag, officials also say that the proposed colony has the potential to become a reality in the not so distant future. Science fiction fan or not, you’ve got to take a look at these conceptual designs–this may be what’s in store for the future of our species!

According to an official statement by Shimizu Corporation, “Over 70% of the Earth’s surface is ocean. Utilization of the deep ocean is indispensable for the durability of human society.” This belief is the underlying reasoning behind their latest innovative engineering blueprint known as “Ocean Spiral.”

The “floating city” will consist of a spiral-shaped tube beneath the water connected to a spherical residential area that’s 500 meters (1,640 feet) in diameter with a capacity to house 5,000 people. The residential area will achieve its stability through a careful balance between buoyancy and gravity. Furthermore, the sphere can be fully submerged in the event of a tsunami, typhoon, or other natural disaster.

edit on 22-11-2014 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-11-2014 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

rather odd thing to read considering that I read recently that Japan is sinking or will be sunk for disobedience.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I think it's an interesting idea, and the conceptual renderings are gorgeous, although I don't see it becoming a reality anywhere near as soon as suggested. One thing confuses me, though...Either I'm misreading (I am tired), or there's something being lost in translation. How are 5,000 people going to live in a 500 meter diameter sphere? Awfully close quarters....

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
And you tell me there will be no pollution ? How do you prevent accidents ? How do you keep away whales/ships/subs ?

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

It does say 500, and to be honest I think it is a translation thing. My guess is the residences in the sphere are high rent and it gets lower the further down you live..

There is a beautiful pfd file on rocket news ( second link) but its all japanese...

As for protection, well wouldnt some sort of sonar beacon work to drive off whales and alert subs?

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Wow, it is beautiful!
Don't know if I'd want to live there, but for vacations, or work and travell...
Awesome, I'd like to see some more models of that! Are there already plans for the interiour? Design!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

May look great as a sight-seeing Tourist adventure but to live there permanently... na, too close to EQ's, Volcanoes & Typhoons!

In calmer waters and area's it could work but do we really want to start building in the Sea's now?? We've already laid Concrete over much of the land, to build stuff in the Sea will just cause more probs.
edit on CSTSun, 23 Nov 2014 10:10:21 -06000000003010x021x0 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

At 5000 residents it wouldn't work for much but tourism, research or mining. Now take this concept further, place it in alien waters on some distant planet. As for the danger, well so what? Few places are perfect.

However, we could start our own off the coast of Hawaii...

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

To use on other planets? Yes, I suppose so...

For me it would just be too risky where those 'dangers' I mentioned occur quite regularly.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Those dangers happen everywhere, all the time, and as such I am relatively certain that all appropriate safety measures would be taken. :p

Seriously tho, its not as risky as Space Tourism and id love to do that too...

top topics

join