It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Country Stars Come Out...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
So, Billy Gilman and Ty Herndon... two big western music stars, just came out of their closets and decided to live openly as gay country artists. This is really going to tear at the heart of the heartland. I think this will do a lot of good with tolerance among those who most likely need it, country western fans. Billy Gilman isn't a surprise and I always thought he was gay but Ty Herndon? His story is interesting and he even dropped some hints in some of his latest songs.

Some of the conflict between Herndon's sexuality and his faith bled through a song he published last year -- "Lies I Told Myself." A sign with the word "Equality" has the most prominent place in the music video.
"Yeah, praying's just a waste of time, so why even start," the last verse begins. "The good Lord ain't got time for guys like me. Forgiven's something you won't ever be."
A handwritten sign appears in that verse. It reads, "I'm a sinner."

He also has a sad story about his discovery when he was a child and I'm glad he told it:

"I was 10, sitting in church and horrified that I might be a homosexual. Whatever that word meant, I knew that I probably was one," Herndon told "People." "And I know there's a lot of those kids still out there. Telling my story is an opportunity to help just one of them."

He said he decided to live more openly about it after attending a Tony Robbins seminar. That Tony guy rocks so I can see that happening.

So, there you have it. Not even the freedom-fry-sexy-tractor-truck-boat-truck way of life is excluded from the gay demographic. These are two guys who would never have been able to get their music out to their fans if they were openly gay to begin with. I hope that fact opens some eyes.

Linkydink

(I was going to put this in the "music" section but it's not really about their music.)
edit on 22-11-2014 by Cuervo because: added video

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Yawn

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinkortwim
Yawn

Thanks buddy! Because this was all about entertaining you, not anything important about equality in the music industry or anything.

Next time I'll post a video of somebody dangling some keys for you.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Why is this Social Issues and Civil Unrest?

Peace

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
Why is this Social Issues and Civil Unrest?

Peace

Because it's a social issue? Where would you have put it? It's not about their music and it's not exactly "breaking" news. It's about a demographic succeeding in an industry that's famous for harboring hate towards said demographic.

This isn't a typical celebrity coming out story.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Speaking as someone from a poor, backward Asian country, I find it depressing that something like this should still be an issue in a rich, advanced country like America.

We have our homophobes too (and even a never-enforced anti-sodomy law still on the books, a relic of the colonial era), but very few people see homosexuality as anything but natural and widespread, and gay-bashing is nearly unheard of.

The only exceptions are born-again Christian churches (mostly funded from America) and Wahabist Muslim preachers (all funded from Saudi Arabia) and their congregations. Both, I'm sorry to say, have growing congregations.

edit on 22/11/14 by Astyanax because: it's not just about country music, but about countries.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I find it so strange that country stars, or rap stars, or anyone has to hide "in the closet" about who they love, who they really are...Still, in this day and age.

edit on pSat, 22 Nov 2014 22:11:44 -0600201422America/Chicago2014-11-22T22:11:44-06:0030vx11 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

These are two guys who would never have been able to get their music out to their fans if they were openly gay to begin with.

You would be surprised how little these folks actually care.

I grew up in Nevada where these things are so common no one even bats an eye.

But I live in the midwest now as part of my enlistment and I have found many openly gay folks here and no one seems to really be bothered by it. To include openly gay soldiers.

Lets not paint with broad brushes. My experiences travelling the country and the world since joining the army has opened my eyes to different cultures and ways of life that I didn't even know existed. I used to believe that the "country bumpkin" stereotype was far more valid because of the loud voices that came from these places...But that's all they are...Loud.

Reserve judgement my friends.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Well, good for them. I could care less either way, won't make me start listening to country! Now that is something they should have kept in their closet, their guitars! Haha.

But one thing struck me odd, he claims he was in church worried about "being a homosexual", "whatever that meant". How can you be afraid of something if you don't know what it is? Maybe it's semantics, I've been out of the U.S. for quite a while now and as each year slips by, so does my English.

Anyways, going to listen to some death metal now to get the taste of icky country music out of my mouth!

edit on 22-11-2014 by Auricom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
So now ask me if I give a sh*t anymore who in the limelight comes 'out' of the closet?...Answer - I DON'T!

I'm so sick of having that cr*p shoved down our throats - just give them the 'equal' rights of heterosexual people and shut them the he11 up. OH and BTW I want my ' I'm a straight person parade!"....I promise to wear hetro appropriate apparel..... and not parade around in rainbow colored tutus or rainbow colored briefs.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: wilhelmina
So now ask me if I give a sh*t anymore who in the limelight comes 'out' of the closet?...Answer - I DON'T!

I'm so sick of having that cr*p shoved down our throats - just give them the 'equal' rights of heterosexual people and shut them the he11 up. OH and BTW I want my ' I'm a straight person parade!"....I promise to wear hetro appropriate apparel..... and not parade around in rainbow colored tutus or rainbow colored briefs.

Wow, I didn't see this response coming from a mile away.

It's like everybody's distant relatives on Facebook come out just to pipe in with the same rhetoric anytime the word "gay" comes up.

Rabble rabble rabble, off mah lawn, yer gonna make mah grass gay! Anyway, this has nothing to do with a gay agenda and I normally don't care when celebrities "come out". This is an exception because they play country-western music. This isn't somebody from Hollywood.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
So in a way, they have to act like politicians and hide things until people like them and buy their music. After they make the money they come out. Not saying that it's bad to be gay but why hide it until you get the big payday? Shows that all is still driven by greed.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JHumm
So in a way, they have to act like politicians and hide things until people like them and buy their music. After they make the money they come out. Not saying that it's bad to be gay but why hide it until you get the big payday? Shows that all is still driven by greed.

No, it shows somebody who has a passion for their craft and does not want to let the ignorance of others stand in their way.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

It's like everybody's distant relatives on Facebook come out just to pipe in with the same rhetoric anytime the word "gay" comes up.

Rabble rabble rabble, off mah lawn, yer gonna make mah grass gay! Anyway, this has nothing to do with a gay agenda and I normally don't care when celebrities "come out". This is an exception because they play country-western music. This isn't somebody from Hollywood.

Why should it be an exception just because they are country western musicians???? If some one in what ever arena ,Tv, music, Hollywood, sports, 'comes out'...Why do they have to make a public display of it? Why do they all feel like the world needs to know? If they are a good actor, athlete, musician etc....I DON'T GIVE A SH*T IF THEY ARE GAY!!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JHumm

^^^^^exactly - every thing is driven by greed.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I don't care if they are gay either. If they are proud to be gay why wait til after getting big names before coming out....because they think that it will be over when they come out and want that money first. And I would be willing to bet that there are more gay politicians out there who are too greedy to come out for fear of losing money. It is greed that drives everything. I don't know if Freddy mercury hid it but it was pretty well known and he sold more albums than any of these guys could hope to.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I am a southern country music fan and I believe American country music lovers will embrace him. And maybe they were encouraged to come out because of the athlete's who have come out. Good for the both of them. And
sorry for the seeming hate on here.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   
They both have some decent music..

What they do in their personal lives, frankly, isn't something i pay attention to. I'm there for the music, and the song.

Or the sport, the game, and the professional life of the players, meaning their careers.

I go see a movie because of the story, and the roles played by different people. Not the actor/actresses themselves.

It matters not, for the game, the song, or the flick, what these people do in their personal lives.

Just as it matters not if I am in a Hetero relationship, a non-hetero relationship, or a Polyamorus triad. It's really no ones business, except for those involved.

It's not our place to judge others for who they love, or what they do in their personal lives.

So my question is: Why does it matter, what is the point? Men have loved men, women have loved women, and men and women have loved each other for time immemorial. Why is it a big deal now?

Christians should know better then to pass judgement, I say this because I am one. It's not our place to do so.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
why on this site, when people talk about homosexuality, they always refer to a "Gay agenda" being shoved down their throat. Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be something Freudian about this objection.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

This isn't somebody from Hollywood.

So you bigoted against people who live in Country Western land? You think people who listen to Country Music are all homophobic hicks? Seems some people think only Christians listen to Country Western, again a real bigoted and prejudiced thought.

Actually, as you can see, most people really don't care. I, as a Christian don't give a rip.

My philosophy, what people do in the privacy of their bedroom is none of my business, and I wish people would quit trying to make it my business by announcing it to the world. That is tacky and totally unnecessary these days.
Live your life as you wish, who you bed is a private matter, how you bed is a private matter. Who you choose to love is your business, I don't care. Want to take them to an event and say this is who I love, fine, great, who cares anymore?

I don't care, and it is no longer news in this day and age. So get over it people who think it is news, no one really cares anymore!

People, get over yourselves and stop thinking it is a big deal anymore.

edit on 6Sun, 23 Nov 2014 06:27:51 -0600am112311amk230 by grandmakdw because: addition

top topics

<<   2 >>

join