It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk announces Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ships

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Seriously. You can't make this stuff up. I don't know what I'd do without Elon Musk. He is singlehandedly making my childhood scifi dreams a reality.

gizmodo.com...

Elon Musk's list of crazy/brilliant inventions is getting pretty lengthy, but he's decided to add to the list with the Saturday afternoon unveiling of "X-wing config" wings for the Falcon 9 rocket, and a self-piloting ship to act as a landing pad for the reusable rockets.

Check out the pics. Pretty neat stuff.

@elonmusk Autonomous spaceport drone ship. Thrusters repurposed from deep sea oil rigs hold position within 3m even in a storm. 3:59 PM - 22 Nov 2014 1,139 RETWEETS 1,306 FAVORITES ReplyRetweetFavorite

edit on 22-11-2014 by Vdogg because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Vdogg

In what way is it different than the old ones?

Sea Launch is an international spacecraft launch service that uses a mobile maritime platform for equatorial launches of commercial payloads on specialized Zenit-3SL rockets. It has so far assembled and launched thirty-one rockets, with three failures and one partial failure.

Sea Launch was established in 1995 as a consortium of four companies from Norway, Russia, Ukraine and the United States, managed by Boeing with participation from the other shareholders.[2][3] The first rocket was launched in March 1999.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 22-11-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee
The main and most important difference is that these platforms are for landing spacex's reusable rockets in all weather and locations. The tech you refer to is simply for launching. Spacex's plan is to launch, land, refuel, and launch again using the same rocket, from the same platform, perhaps even on the same day. Nobody but spacex is this far along with reusable rockets and this will be an absolute game changer with regards to decreasing cost.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Another important difference is that these platforms are unmanned and operate autonomously, presumably due to the inherent risk of actually landing a rocket back on a ship in the first place. Far from land and unmanned=no danger to humans.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vdogg

Another important difference is that these platforms are unmanned and operate autonomously, presumably due to the inherent risk of actually landing a rocket back on a ship in the first place. Far from land and unmanned=no danger to humans.

I see, very interesting. No danger and can be really secret also!

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Elon Musk is my new hero.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Anything that deals with rockets is old school and wasteful spending that pollutes the air you breathe. JUNK.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: cloaked4u

Do you have a better technology for reaching Leo right now (and don't say space elevator, tech isn't quite feasible...yet)?

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vdogg
a reply to: cloaked4u

Do you have a better technology for reaching Leo right now (and don't say space elevator, tech isn't quite feasible...yet)?

He's going to bring out the TR3B triangles that do not exist, using anti gravity tech we have had for 60 years .. that doesn't actually exist.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
This is just part of the certification process they need to go through to be able to land the first stage of the Falcon 9 back at the launch site. They need to demonstrate they can hit a target precisely and consistently. So they built this barge for that. Once they get the signoffs from the FAA and the Air Force, they'll be landing the first stages back at Cape Canaveral, close to where they launched from, and there won't be a need for this barge.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: nataylor

Correct. The barge is only for the early flights of the reusable booster portion, and (as you pointed out) the barge will be used for multiple Falcon 9 booster stage landings until SpaceX could demonstrate that they can land it safely. SpaceX is being required to use the barge for this early phase because the barge can be placed in the middle of the ocean -- far, far from any people that my get hurt in a mishap.

SpaceX must show it can repeatedly perform precise landings over water before trying to fly a rocket back to land, where a miss could have more serious consequences.

Source:
SpaceX to attempt Falcon 9 booster landing on floating platform

The caution being expressed may be for a good reason, considering that even Musk gives this first attempt at landing on the barge a 50% chance of being successful. However, I'm sure that even if this first attempt fails, they will eventually get it all figured out, and will be allowed to return the booster stage to dry land instead of needing to use the barge.

Musk expects that SpaceX has about a 50 percent or less chance of succeeding in landing on the next flyback, but future launches and landing could have more chance of success.

"There are a lot of launches that will occur over the next year," Musk said. "I think it's quite likely that one of those flights, we'll be able to land and re-fly, so I think we're quite close.

Personally, I think that Musk is downplaying his odds of success, playing a little PR game so as to not raise public expectations in the case of an eventual failure, but draw public awe and applause in the case of a success.

Source:
SpaceX to Try Rocket Landing on Floating Ocean Platform, Elon Musk Says

edit on 11/24/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

join