It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Fed Just Acknowledged Its Too Big To Jail Policy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
An interesting chain of events:

The federal government until recently shielded big banks from criminal prosecution out of concern that convictions may damage the financial system, a top Federal Reserve official said Friday, explicitly acknowledging a policy long denied by the Obama administration. The admission came during a tense exchange between William Dudley, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, and Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) at a Senate Banking Committee hearing meant to explore the cozy relations between federal regulators and the banks they supervise.

Until May, large financial institutions investigated for wrongdoing had dodged criminal prosecution under the Obama administration, despite evidence from federal regulators and prosecutors showing that big banks had, for instance, laundered money for suspected terrorists and drug cartels; manipulated interest rate benchmarks; rigged various commodities markets; mislead investors in mortgage-linked securities; duped homeowners into taking out expensive mortgages; manipulated municipal debt markets; and broke state and federal rules when attempting to seize homes after borrowers fell behind on their payments, a scandal that became known as "robosigning."

Only five senators attended the hearing, and one, Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), asked no questions. The others -- Sens. Brown, Warren, Merkley and Jack Reed (D-R.I.) are bank reform hawks who have long been critical of the Fed's weak oversight.

source

Do you think we should prosecute bankers, should they go to prison?

edit on 22-11-2014 by AlaskanDad because: fixed typo

+35 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

Do you think we should prosecute bankers, should they go to prison?

YES! Lock the lot of em up! Or at least the ones that are clearly mortgaging the futures of billions of people to turn a profit (which is probably all of them). Banking has become one of the most vicious control schemes in the history of the world. Debt slavery is the name of the game, and bankers are the slave masters.

The idea that they should be exempt from jail for breaking laws set in place for the very purpose of keeping them in check is absolutely ludicrous. Imagine if you or I robbed a bank? How many years do you think we'd spend in a federal prison? Why should they not face the same consequences (or worse) for robbing millions of people?
edit on 22-11-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
With calm consideration I feel public hanging should be the punishment for the lot.

We could even make the rope out of twisted and tied dollar bills, to up the irony a bit. I'll start practicing my braiding pattern. When things fall apart this time I feel people will get far more creative with their methods of revenge and justice than the simple guillotine!
edit on 22-11-2014 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Absolutely we should prosecute and imprison. No one is above the law (including the ***hole in the White House).

+7 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

When laws are not equal for all it reminds me of some third world country that if you have connections you can basically get away with murder..

This is just one example of how far America has fallen into crony capital fascism.. The banks make billions and the government slaps a penalty of a few million ... no one goes to jail... Government is happy they get their 10% and the bank looks at the numbers and figures their bottom line... Anyone want to give me a Billion I would be more than happy to give 100 million to someone else.. DUH !

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Banks are the bane of humanity.......
Interest bearing loans should be considered usury.....
Im all for the steam roller execution techniques....start at the bottom and slowly work your way up.....

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Why?
Why would should I loan you money (capital) which could be earning me money (investment), for free?

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Interest bearing loans are the definition of usury, thats why!

usu·ry
noun \ˈyü-zhə-rē, ˈyüzh-rē\

: the practice of lending money and requiring the borrower to pay a high amount of interest
plural usu·ries
Full Definition of USURY
archaic : interest
: the lending of money with an interest charge for its use; especially : the lending of money at exorbitant interest rates
: an unconscionable or exorbitant rate or amount of interest; specifically : interest in excess of a legal rate charged to a borrower for the use of money

source

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

The practice of lending money and requiring the borrower to pay a high amount of interest

: the lending of money with an interest charge for its use; especially : the lending of money at exorbitant interest rates

Why would should I loan you money (capital) which could be earning me money (investment), for free?

I'm paying 4% on my mortgage and I'm stoked. I write it all off and the value continues to appreciate.

edit on 11/22/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

When did I say you should loan money interest free?

I simply answered your the question on why loans are considered usury!

(:

edit on 22-11-2014 by AlaskanDad because: Added strike through and and changed your to the

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I heard Utah was considering bringing back the firing squad. If public hangings or firing squads were used for the bankers, it should only be used for those responsible at the very very top. The top-minds if you will. Aspiring riggers need to understand what they have to look forward to if their dreams come true.

The underlings should be prosecuted by the hundreds. They should be thrown in with the murderers and rapists - the most violent offenders, to live out the rest of their miserable lives.

That's answering your question at the end of your OP.

To address the article, it's too early to know what WILL happen. But I welcome the investigators/prosecutors/government to give my suggestions above the nod.

One fact remains, politics should be void of money. Thats really all politics has become - A Bankers Paradise!

link   

I simply answered your question on why loans are considered usury!

My post was in response to the claim that any interest bearing loan constitutes usury.

You provided definitions of usury which specify high or exorbitant interest rates.

link   

Because interest bearing loans are an open ended trap for the unwary! It IS Usury!!!

However if one merely charged a set fee instead one can still make money, just like they do in Islamic countries with Islamic banking.

It is not an argument about making profit! It is about stopping people from getting screwed over even if they are dumb with money!

I hope you know Capitalism doesn't have to be always about screwing the customer over?

edit on 22-11-2014 by MarsKingAQuestion because: spacing.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Yeah Spruce, we should imprison them, as long as it's an Egyptian or Chinese Lock Up. I'm sure for a fee, they'd be happy to have them as guests and give them some nice hard labor so they won't get bored and while they're at it they can send All Their Family Members as well, so they won't get lonely. That would scare the Bejeezus out of them. Peace Arjunanda. a reply to: Spruce

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: MarsKingAQuestion

Because interest bearing loans are an open ended trap for the unwary! It IS Usury!!!
This was the claim:

However if one merely charged a set fee instead one can still make money, just like they do in Islamic countries with Islamic banking.
Maximum interest rates are set by state law. If you take a loan, you know how much it will cost you. If you don't, you're a fool. "A fool and his money..."

It is about stopping people from getting screwed over even if they are dumb with money!
I think people bothering to educate themselves makes more sense than claiming that interest bearing loans are usury makes more sense.

I hope you know Capitalism doesn't have to be always about screwing the customer over?
Yes, I do. You know that any monetary transaction requires discretion, right? I am not being screwed over because I pay attention to my assets and how I utilize them. You know that people borrow on interest bearing loans in order to expand their business, right?

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Oops you missed:

1 archaic : interest

Even if that is an archaic definition it is the first definition listed because it is still correct today, other definition become more specific but do no negate the root meaning of usury.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
But the "archaic" part does. Because it means it is obsolete. Usage changes.
Look up "gay." What do you think of when you hear the word used?

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Starred and Flagged!

Damned if we do and damned if we don't, I say lets hang them and be damned, as it is the only decent honorable way out of this EPIC failure of the People AND the Government to keep the criminal robber barons from being in control via bribery and corruption!

Thanks lobbyists , We're going to hang you lot 1st and give the banksta's a taste of whats a coming to them in spades!

Anybody know where I can buy about 10 miles of fine hemp rope really cheap

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Because for the most part in the world... Investments are a pyramid scam taking advantage of the unfortunate.
Dividends paid out of interest incurred from interest.

The only investments that should be allowed are for startups.
You know, the ones like Tesla that float themselves to the public in attempts to gain funding and get their business off the ground.
A business that would in turn repay that investment by sharing the profits they reap from a physical product they sell.

They are the only investments that should be allowed.

Not this "paper" trading scams or the sale value of mortgages of peoples homes.
That # needs to stop.

ETA

Corrupt bankers or any corporation for that matter found guilty of swindling the public should be hanged.
If they want to punish those who use a few grams of currently illicit drugs ( see war on drugs ), then those robbing the public of millions and into billions of dollars, should face the severest possible penalty. If that means bringing back the death penalty... so be it.
edit on 22/11/2014 by Sovaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
But the "archaic" part does. Because it means it is obsolete. Usage changes.
Look up "gay." What do you think of when you hear the word used?

is archaic an archaic word too?

Full Definition of ARCHAIC 1 : having the characteristics of the language of the past and surviving chiefly in specialized uses 2 : of, relating to, or characteristic of an earlier or more primitive time : antiquated

source

as for gay; does that mean on the Flintstones when they sing they had a gay old time that the old definition needs to be replaced with the new one, how does that work exactly?

edit on 22-11-2014 by AlaskanDad because: sp correction

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join