It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to spot a psychopath

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Yeah I know, the p is empty...

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Okay, just finished reading this thread...

I don't know a lot about psychopaths. All I know is that is considered a personality disorder, just like being transgender is - which I am. I understand I'm not like most of the people in the word, but it doesn't mean I'm dangerous. I'm just different.

From what I know of psychopaths, they feel no guilt and no empathy. It doesn't mean they don't understand right from wrong. As long as they follow the rules, who cares about what they feel and don't feel? Some people feel too much, are really emotional and all... some people are bipolar. They're all "different" too.

Now, of course, some psychopaths ARE dangerous. But that can be said about all types of people. You don't have to be a psychopath to be dangerous and you don't have to be dangerous just because you're a psychopath.

I hope this made sense.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=18773341]LukeDAP[/p

Being transgender has nothing to do with being a psychopath!

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
a reply to: pl3bscheese

There are variances in Psychopathy, many are social climbers and part of the illusion they try creating is in hiding their real selves, for example in 'apparent' acts of altruism but often the real motive is feeding their ego.

I alluded to this in my post. My question: Why does that matter in the slightest?

I spent 4 years working as a keyworker for somewhere that houses ex offenders, some of which were schedule 1. I have done training on it and read their crime reports and Psychological profiles, attended their Psychiatric evaluations etc.

This points back to what I said. The vast majority of the information we have on "psychopaths" is of criminal offenders. Psychopathy and criminal are not synonymous.

Again, your quotes show what I've been pointing out. That our perception of the psychopath is .... jaded and with bias. We don't know how many of histories greats would have had this same neuronal firing patterns, the same character deficits, the same attempts to hide their darkness as most everyone else (only to a greater degree). You and I can let loose on NYE, or on halloween, a white trash party, whatever a few times a year. The psychopath must remain in solitude to unmask their selves. How would that not bring about aggression in a human being?

There are degrees of "psychopathy" because psychopathy doesn't really exist. Every "disorder" is measured in degrees by the more astute minds. The highest of minds realizing that the lines are all blurred, that we each hold the ability to have these basic experiences, perceptions, and attitudes of one another from time to time. There is no way another human being on this planet may act that I may not imagine myself as potentially acting within the correct set of circumstances.

I ask of you, whose "order" is this? Is it the team of psychiatrists, the neuroscientists, the political scientists, the puppet masters propagandizing the public, the artist carving the perceptions of the culture... whose order is this, and do you honestly believe it remains static over time?
edit on 16-12-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

There are various sorts of psychopath, the majority aren't known criminals, it is an antisocial trait, mostly identified by a certain sort of egocentricity that cannot empathise and 'self justifies' their selfish egocentric acts because they think of themselves as all that matters.

It matters because they are the bullies of the workplace etc and in an organised society things are categorised, theorised and placed into order and acceptability because that is how organised, civilized society operates.

Recognising and identifying psychopathy is essential for society moving forward with good purpose and truth. There are a high percentage of psychopaths in industry and the top earning percentages, CEO'S etc. It is likely that the 'mess' that society is in today is because of egocentric psychopathic behaviour.

Humanity needs to realise the truth and have a common goal for making a constructive society. Good leaders are needed for such leadership as psychopaths are not fit for the purpose.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

There are various sorts of psychopath, the majority aren't known criminals, it is an antisocial trait, mostly identified by a certain sort of egocentricity that cannot empathise and 'self justifies' their selfish egocentric acts because they think of themselves as all that matters.

and yet they may become "pro-social". points negated.

It matters because they are the bullies of the workplace etc and in an organised society things are categorised, theorised and placed into order and acceptability because that is how organised, civilized society operates.

this "organized society" has boxed the subject. we have been objectified, and I choose to stand up to it, equally for those most and least oppressed under the current "order".

Recognising and identifying psychopathy is essential for society moving forward with good purpose and truth. There are a high percentage of psychopaths in industry and the top earning percentages, CEO'S etc. It is likely that the 'mess' that society is in today is because of egocentric psychopathic behaviour.

that line of thought is dissociative. you are disowning the majorities role in playing into their own wants, which industry provides, by and large through unethical means. that's not the psychopaths fault. this is a collective err.

Humanity needs to realise the truth and have a common goal for making a constructive society. Good leaders are needed for such leadership as psychopaths are not fit for the purpose.

and what truth would that be? your truth? doesn't seem to be my truth. something tells me it's not the truth in many other's mind as well. on the contrary, a psychopath can be the perfect fit for a role of leadership. as with everything else, it depends.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: QueenofWeird

psychopaths are obviously unhealthy with how they behave

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Those evil psychopaths! They just can't feel. They are so ... EVIL!!

Psychoapths can feel empathy when they try

Plenty of assumptions to be made from this, but at least it gives some people who haven't closed off their minds entirely on the subject to consider that this "psychopath" may be able to fit into the current "order" one day. I'd rather see that "order" transform itself to be more fitting towards the species as a whole.

I guess that makes me "disordered"

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
I guess that makes me "disordered"

Join the club. I'm working on the t-shirts... you can make the cookies.

edit on 16/12/2014 by LukeDAP because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

The facts are that psychopathy is antisocial regardless of how they mask it. It has to be identified and rightly so.

Psychopathy is not justifiable. They aren't the victims or the repressed, they are the bad guys and those are the guys society's victims, the repressed and all decent citizens should be standing up to.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: QueenofWeird
But they can't change that little coulored disc. Eyes are part of the brain and convey what is going on inside. Inside them nothing emotional is going on, it's all about results what ever that may be. You, me, the kitchen sink is the same to them.

So, look only at the irises, not at the rest. Theirs will show nothing, look like plastic or glass. It's amazing how normal people's irises still have something in it.

Cliff Richard is dying inside

^ his eyes are 'dead'. Probably haunted by Elm house memories or something?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

The facts are that psychopathy is antisocial regardless of how they mask it. It has to be identified and rightly so.

So James Fallon is not antisocial. He has all the genetic markers for psychopathy, and the brain scans to back up his case that he's a pro-social psychopath. Where is your case for these "facts" ?

Psychopathy is not justifiable. They aren't the victims or the repressed, they are the bad guys and those are the guys society's victims, the repressed and all decent citizens should be standing up to.

I don't think so. You want to twist individuals psychological deviations into sub human beings because they may act in ways that you find distasteful. That's your problem, not societies.
edit on 16-12-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Whoever James Fallon is/was is irrelevant.

The facts are that psychopathy is not conducive to civilized society and rightly should and is recognised as such. It isn't just my opinion it is factual.

Obviously you don't like the fact that it is a recognised condition but that is your issue. Maybe you don't like civilization and the constraints it has, laws and categorization, that again is your issue.

Psychology and Psychiatry is a major area of research and study, it cannot be discounted.

aftermath-surviving-psychopathy.org...

There is a class of individuals who have been around forever and who are found in every race, culture, society and walk of life. Everybody has met these people, been deceived and manipulated by them, and forced to live with or repair the damage they have wrought. These often charming-but always deadly-individuals have a clinical name: psychopaths. Their hallmark is a stunning lack of conscience; their game is self-gratification at the other person’s expense. Many spend time in prison, but many do not. All take far more than they give.

The most obvious expressions of psychopathy-but not the only ones-involve the flagrant violation of society’s rules. Not surprisingly, many psychopaths are criminals, but many others manage to remain out of prison, using their charm and chameleon-like coloration to cut a wide swathe through society, leaving a wake of ruined lives behind them.

A major part of my own quarter-century search for answers to this enigma has been a concerted effort to develop an accurate means of detecting the psychopaths among us. Measurement and categorization are, of course, fundamental to any scientific endeavor, but the implications of being able to identify psychopaths are as much practical as academic. To put it simply, if we can’t spot them, we are doomed to be their victims, both as individuals and as a society.

My role in the search for psychopaths began in the 1960s at the psychology department of the University of British Columbia. There, my growing interest in psychopathy merged with my experience working with psychopaths in prison to form what was to become my life’s work. I assembled a team of clinicians who would identify psychopaths in the prison population by means of long, detailed interviews and close study of file information. From this eventually developed a highly reliable diagnostic tool that any clinician or researcher could use and that yielded a richly detailed profile of the personality disorder called psychopathy. We named this instrument the Psychopathy Checklist (Multi-Health Systems; 1991).

The checklist is now used worldwide and provides clinicians and researchers with a way of distinguishing, with reasonable certainty, true psychopaths from those who merely break the rules. What follows is a general summary of the key traits and behaviors of a psychopath. Do not use these symptoms to diagnose yourself or others. A diagnosis requires explicit training and access to the formal scoring manual. If you suspect that someone you know conforms to the profile described here, and if it is important for you to have an expert opinion, you should obtain the services of a qualified (registered) forensic psychologist or psychiatrist. Also, be aware that people who are not psychopaths may have some of the symptoms described here. Many people are impulsive, or glib, or cold and unfeeling, but this does not mean that they are psychopaths. Psychopathy is a syndrome-a cluster of related symptoms.

edit on 16-12-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Whoever James Fallon is/was is irrelevant.

The facts are that psychopathy is not conducive to civilized society and rightly should and is recognised as such. It isn't just my opinion it is factual.

I get it. You've been owned, so are trying to mount a petty "fact" based defense. Luckily enough members on this site are sharp enough to call your bluff. I don't have to do anything else.

Obviously you don't like the fact that it is a recognised condition but that is your issue. Maybe you don't like civilization and the constraints it has, laws and categorization, that again is your issue.

I do just fine within society, though am always wanting for it to evolve into a more enlightened stance.

Psychology and Psychiatry is a major are of research and study, it cannot be discounted.

I'm sure you're aware of the many faults of psychology and psychiatry over the years, and are open to all that neuroscience is finding to cast light on a rather dark-filled subject.

It's okay. I know that I'm in the right here, and time is on my side. You can keep to your ill-understanding of the "facts" and allow the science to evolve beyond them.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Throwing around personal insults such as ''you've been owned'' is very puerile and frankly void of worthiness.

The fact is I am not ''owned''.

I believe in Psychiatry, as do most of the civilized world. Belief in Psychiatry is not a symptom of ''being owned''.

Furthermore learning about such things and the vast research that goes into it is in fact enlightenment. Denying the existence of disorders and conditions is unenlightened denial. Having PhD's and Doctorates in such sciences is obviously something you do not comprehend as being valuable or valid to society. However most learned scholars and enlightened beings believe it is very valid, I certainly do.

Do not bother replying to me as you obviously do not believe in Psychiatry so there is no point talking to you about it.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: QueenofWeird

What exactly are you on about? Didnt your mother ever teach you NOT to stare at people?

Im pretty sure everyones eyes look empty - thats called the pupil. Are you trying to say a psychopaths eyes dont dilate or move at all?

I believe you are confusing sociopaths with psychopaths. Being psychotic doesnt mean you aren't human, and without any sort of emotion. They just dont feel empathy, they dont care what you are feeling, they dont know how to put themselves in another footsteps - its all about them.

Id rather be psychotic than a sociopath.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Neither do you.

The "irrelevant" James Fallon has his Phd's.

I clearly showed how this all-mighty field of psychology has it wrong, the science is right up there in the link for you. It matches my words of how neuroscience will over time bring light to the prescience field of psychology.

That you don't 'get it' or care to look at the information I provided speaks to your own unwillingness to get at the "facts" as they are currently known. Guess who's problem that's not? You got it!

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

To me your theory = no sale, nada, nothing.

Your opinion proves nothing.

Go try sell it to somebody else.

As for your invitation, I do not want to discuss it on teamspeak.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: QueenofWeird
But please....

www.vice.com...

He feels (pun intended) that Breivik (that nice spree killer) does have empathy! Right!

Please?

EDIT: ok, pretty please?

HEY CHEESE! You didn't answer this! I am feeling neglected, so I am preparing my revenge.
Now seriously, Breivik and empathy? This Fallon is so far out he's on Mars.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Read the chilling thoughts of James Fallon, our pro social p friend:

www.vice.com...

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join