It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's a machine that turns water into synthetic gasoline

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Well, now. This is quite an interesting development.

A German company is working on turning water and carbon dioxide into
hydrocarbons like diesel, kerosene and gasoline. The process is about 50% efficient right now, but they hope to get it to 70%

Even with the amount of electric vehicles we've seen lately, it's likely going to be a long time until they completely replace traditional combustion engines on the road. So how are we going to get away from pricey fossil fuels until then? Well, water could be a possibility. German company Sunfire GmbH thinks it has the solution for turning H20 and carbon dioxide into liquid hyrdrocarbons like synthetic diesel, kerosene and petrol, according to CNET. It does this in part by using a combination of the Fischer-Tropsch process (a chemical reaction that performs the aforementioned transformation) and solid electrolyzer cells (fuel cells that produce gas forms of hydrogen and oxygen).

link
edit on 11/22/2014 by N3k9Ni because: typo

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Even if this is successful, I'm not sure it will help much. Fresh water is increasingly becoming more scarce. Not sure what sense it would make to process fuel out of it. The water wars are coming. This would just exacerbate the problem.
edit on 22-11-2014 by jtrenthacker because: words is hard

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker
Even if this is successful, I'm not sure this will help much. Fresh water is increasingly becoming more scarce. Not sure what sense it would make to process fuel out of it. The water wars are coming. This would just exacerbate the problem.

Good point. Fresh water could become as expensive as gasoline which would be a bigger problem than we have right now.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
It would be nice to find a magic bullet to replacing fossil fuels and it may happen one day . But it would seem at present that bullet doesn't exist .

A research effort by Google corporation to make renewable energy viable has been a complete failure, according to the scientists who led the programme. After 4 years of effort, their conclusion is that renewable energy “simply won’t work”.

According to an interview with the engineers, published in IEEE;

“At the start of RE

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
fresh water can be made. the problem; the energy it takes to distill it.

If water can be turned into gasoline, or other burnable materials, then the process could be a little less expensive to operate.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Strange ..I compiled a post that seems to be ok but when I post it it was cut . link to the above Google reference piece wattsupwiththat.com... a reply to: the2ofusr1 also added a vid about Thorium

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Cool tech but probably won't get legs while oil is cheap to drill and clean energy sources are expensive and less reliable.
edit on 22-11-2014 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
CO2 (carbon dioxide), NO2 (nitrous dioxide), NO (nitrous oxide) and H2O are the waste products of the combustion process. Catalytic converters help to reduce this down to CO2. If you could store those, then you can recycle that CO2 and H2O back into fuel.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Even if this is successful, I'm not sure it will help much. Fresh water is increasingly becoming more scarce. Not sure what sense it would make to process fuel out of it. The water wars are coming. This would just exacerbate the problem.

Not really, and water can be recycled and purified even of radiation. They should be using HHO in cars, and methane all along and instead of nuclear anything, wave and tide plants on all the coasts. Its absurd what they do with our resources and the pain, suffering and trauma they create for people and nature just to line 85 of the wealthiest men's pockets.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: N3k9Ni

Even if this is successful, I'm not sure this will help much. Fresh water is increasingly becoming more scarce. Not sure what sense it would make to process fuel out of it. The water wars are coming. This would just exacerbate the problem.

Good point. Fresh water could become as expensive as gasoline which would be a bigger problem than we have right now.

Those melting glaciers are getting mixed into the salt water of the ocean. Great way to use that resource before it is all melted into salt water. Not sure why we are not running a pipeline and capturing the melt and refilling our aquifers already...

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Once again I must point out the obvious: this process requires hydrolysis and hydrolysis requires electricity. How will this electricity be generated? Most likely, by burning hydrocarbons.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
Cool tech but probably won't get legs while oil is cheap to drill and clean energy sources are expensive and less reliable.

Oil isn't 'cheap to drill' anymore; why do you think they're messing around with tar sands, thousands of fracking wells, miles-deep ocean drilling and transporting oil by tanker all over the world? Why do you think there's so much controversy about the pipeline from Alberta down to the Gulf coast refineries? Because Canada needs to get that oil down to where it can be shipped out to the entire world, that's why.

We passed 'peak oil' a long time ago. The low hanging fruit is long gone and now the idiots running this planet are slurping up the last dregs through a dirty straw, and to hell with the amount of oncoming disasters they're causing in the form of destroying the fresh water supplies and contaminating the aquifers and the beaches after episodes like the Exxon Valdez affair.

Polluting the planet is a capital offense, trouble is everyone will pay the price, not just the criminal corporate class.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

If water can be turned into gasoline, or other burnable materials, then the process could be a little less expensive to operate.

What the OP omits is that with electrolysis and Fischer-Tropsch, you're going to have to put in about 2x the amount of energy you're going to get out of the fuel. It's not like you pump water and CO2 in and gasoline comes out.

At least not without supplying a huge amount of energy.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The good news: It produce synthetic gasoline from water
The bad news: It produce synthetic gasoline from water AND pollutes :C

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
Once again I must point out the obvious: this process requires hydrolysis and hydrolysis requires electricity. How will this electricity be generated? Most likely, by burning hydrocarbons.

You can take a fresnel lens and burn a hole through a hunk of metal; take that heat and boil water and there's your electricity; solar and the accompanying technologies like wind and wave action could supply all our energy needs. Trouble is, hard to send someone a bill for that and Exxon rules the world.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire

You can take a fresnel lens and burn a hole through a hunk of metal; take that heat and boil water and there's your electricity; solar and the accompanying technologies like wind and wave action could supply all our energy needs. Trouble is, hard to send someone a bill for that and Exxon rules the world.

Heat and temperature are not the same thing.

Oddly enough.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The Great Lakes states laugh at your water shortage. After all, they have a quarter of all the fresh water on Earth. a reply to: jtrenthacker

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire

originally posted by: GetHyped

Oil isn't 'cheap to drill' anymore

Yes it is. Considerably cheaper for the energy density than alternative sources.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Why not use the sun? Couldn't this be done on a larger scale at home?

And then again?

If everybody had there own system for personal use, it might be a possibility. I will wait for someone smarter than me to come along and tell me why this is not feasible.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

The Navy has been working on that for years. I think they have it down to about $4 a gallon last I read.

If this is the same process or even close the water doesn't have to be clean in fact the Navy is using Sea Water and removing the co2 from the oceans.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now if someone were to build a Geothermal electrical plant to supply the electricity then we would truly have a carbon neutral fuel for transportation and since electricity from geothermal is cheaper than coal it would probably drop prices below the $3 mark.

The main expense with Geothermal is building the plant but afterwards the cost to generate electricity if much cheaper than anything else plus the US has an overabundance of Geothermal energy to tap.

Go science.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join