It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D-Printed Hearts Help Surgeons Save Babies' Lives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Replicas of the human heart that are made on 3D printers could help save babies' lives, new research suggests.

The heart replicas are designed to match every tiny detail of a baby's heart, so they can help surgeons plan where to cut tissue, reroute piping and patch holes in children with congenital heart defects, researchers said. The new findings were presented today (Nov. 19) at the American Heart Association meeting in Chicago.

Though just a handful of such hearts have been used so far, the replicas have already revealed hidden Swiss cheese-like holes in one child's heart, and in another case, inspired a repair strategy that dramatically extended the baby's projected life span.

"From the first two cases straight out of the gate, we've had this dramatic impact," said study co-author Dr. Matthew Bramlet, a pediatric cardiologist at the University of Illinois College of Medicine and the Children's Hospital of Illinois, both in Peoria.

The early results suggest 3D printing hearts could dramatically improve surgeons' understanding of defects before they go into the operating room, the researchers said.

Read full article here: www.livescience.com...

This is great news!
I believe 3D printing is speeding up the things we can do/ change in all areas of technology. This is a huge jump for us. I also believe that 3D printing will advance our technology faster than before.

It can be used in all areas of science and technology: from building structures to medicine... the possibilities are endless.

I'm also happy they are trying to use it in ways of saving lives, like in this case with the babies, because of their tiny hearts.

I don't have my crystal ball around, but I'd be willing to guess that in about 10-15 years a 3D printer could become a very affordable household item too , to use in our everyday lives.

Anyways , thought this was good news, and Kudos to the doctors and scientists for using it.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Reminds me of the grays anatomy where they 3d print para for transplant.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I came here thinking they had 3D printed a functional heart. Not yet then.

I know they 3D printed a functional liver, they got the machine to use human cells as the building material. So I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do it with other organs.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Rainbowresidue

As amazing as this is, I can't help but wonder if this technique could be used to examine other organs.

Even in adults there are times when current imaging processes don't fully reveal complications that might arise. If this could be used to examine lungs, liver, kidneys and brain, this could be a huge step toward more accurate and effective surgical procedures.

I really hope that this becomes a viable examination tool. Thanks for posting this.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Eonnn

Unlike the liver, the heart is a pumping machine - it's a bit more complex.

But I have hope!

S&F OP.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: N3k9Ni
a reply to: Rainbowresidue

As amazing as this is, I can't help but wonder if this technique could be used to examine other organs.

Even in adults there are times when current imaging processes don't fully reveal complications that might arise. If this could be used to examine lungs, liver, kidneys and brain, this could be a huge step toward more accurate and effective surgical procedures.

I really hope that this becomes a viable examination tool. Thanks for posting this.

Surgeons use 3D printing to make models of organs with tumors. Then they can practice how they are going to the surgery as many times as they like:

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

That's exactly what I had in mind. Thank you for showing this.

top topics

join