It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beautiful green bolide over Michigan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Tonight around 2355 local (0455 Zulu) there was an intense, green bolide. It passed low on the northwestern sky, from Alderamin down to Vega on the horizon. Cut through the haze and the city lights like nothing. Very fast, winking in and out in under a second, though it did leave a faint trail I could see.

At the time of sighting I was at approximately N 42° 18' W 83° 20'.

I was wondering if anyone else happened to see it or can find it on any of the all sky cameras.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I didn't see it but you described it beautifully.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

This takes me back to when i was younger ,well a lot younger to be honest lol. I to saw a bolide which seemed to last 4-5 seconds . If you have seen what i witnessed back then you are very lucky . It was truly awe inspiring .

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I'm unaware of what a bolide is. Is this like an aurora or some other ionospheric phenomena?

Goes to show how much I paid attention in my basic astronomy class.

I don't want to do it, but I'll use Google if I have to.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I didn't see it (then again, I was asleep at that hour, and am in Lower MI) Maybe you'd have better luck poking around some Yooper news sources? I didn't see any mentions when I looked, though.

Either way, it sounds like you saw a pretty one
Maybe it's a sign that the Northern Taurids or Leonids (both ongoing) are going to be a nice show once in a while this time?
edit on 11/22/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

What is a fireball? What is the difference between a fireball and a bolide?

A fireball is another term for a very bright meteor, generally brighter than magnitude -4, which is about the same magnitude of the planet Venus in the morning or evening sky. A bolide is a special type of fireball which explodes in a bright terminal flash at its end, often with visible fragmentation.

Technically, the OP saw a fireball, not a bolide.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Beautiful green bolide over Michigan

A green missile you say. NICE!!!!!

Did you make a report on AMS?
I sat out last night saw a few small ones nothing major, mostly blues and yellows.

This is all I saw.
edit on 22-11-2014 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I've also included a magnitude comparable to the full moon foot a bolide, which this, while exceedingly short, definitely was. It looked like it may have been fragmenting, but it went over the horizon so I really don't think I saw the entire thing. :-)

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Thanks Nyiah, you stopped me before I could Google again.

I saw one like that once, lit up the sky like fireworks.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Nice bolides, though sometimes some special "bolides" stop in mid air, accelerate and do 90 degree turns, react to your movement, follow you in your car and stop when you stop, those are very very special bolides.

top topics

join