It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strelkov Claims Responsibilty for Starting Ukrainian Civil War

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
(dont think this has been posted anywhere yet?)

Its not something I would be publicly admitting! And I am not sure where he stands in terms of international law?

(and I know the CIA allegedly do/have done the same, but they have the sense not to publicly claim personal responsibilty!)

Russian national Igor Strelkov, a former commander of pro-Moscow separatists in eastern Ukraine, has claimed "personal responsibility" for unleashing the conflict across the border, in which 4,300 people have been killed since April.

"I was the one who pulled the firing trigger of this war," Strelkov said in an interview published Thursday with Russia's Zavtra newspaper, which espouses imperialist views.

"If our unit hadn't crossed the border, in the end everything would have fizzled out, like in [the Ukrainian city of] Kharkiv, like in Odessa," Strelkov, also known as Girkin, was quoted as saying.

"There would have been several dozen killed, burned, detained. And that would have been the end of it. But the flywheel of the war, which is continuing to this day, was spun by our unit. We mixed up all the cards on the table," he said.

www.themoscowtimes.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Oh great another interview with a psychopathic personality.....
This guy is diseased.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Doesn't get much better than straight from the horse's mouth. At least we know now.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Im sure there are greater names behind this conflict....this is crap from a mad dogs mouth.....
edit on 21-11-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
This was more the reason of the fighting :

Shale gas and the war in East Ukraine

For the US, Putin’s blitz over Crimea was very painful for the reason of misguided expectations. Money was already invested into gas exploration in Crimea. Companies such as Chevron, Shell, ExxonMobil, Repsol and Petrochina were going to develop their offshore energy assets.

Yanukovych’s government sold 5 provinces of Ukraine to the Anglo-Dutch company, Shell, and US Chevron for 50 years, with rights for renewal at their discretion.

According to Article 2.5.3 of Agreement, the Ukrainian government has no right to refuse to renew this agreement.

Appendix 1 of the Agreement with the company «Shell» given the exact coordinates of the "Treaty Land" to be allocated for shale gas. This area mainly is Donetsk and Kharkiv provinces (approx. 7,886 square kilometers), including such major cities as Slavyansk, Izum, Barvenkovo​​, a huge chunk of Kramatorsk, part Druzhkivka and Balakley, as well as dozens and hundreds of smaller settlements.

According to Article 37.2 (b) of Agreement, properties of residents of these cities no longer belong to the residents.

Source

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This guy is making a huge assumption. Maybe he believes what he says or maybe he just wants to feel important who knows? What is most certain to me is that it was the cia or other such organization that started this mess and not a Russian commander.
edit on 21-11-2014 by johnnyBgood because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

I think that there are bigger names behind the conflict is a given. It's just nice to see the "trigger man" come forward and speak of his involvement.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Sadly the only people this is effecting are usually peaceful civilians. Just look at the majority of videos coming out of Ukraine, most of the people killed are civilians caught in the middle, and no one cares on either side. This is not going to end well for the country of Ukraine.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I hope that people read the whole article. The guy also says how the territories in question were hoping to be annexed by Russia and Russia refused. All this shows is what we know already, that this is a proxy war between Russia and the West (primarily its corporations).

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Im afraid the Ukraine has a history of changing hands for various reasons.....Ukraine and its people are just pig in the middle to far more powerful forces......NOBODY gives a flying %^&* about them....

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

I couldn't agree more. Who's right or wrong or what mechanations are in play by which powers is irrelevant to the human suffering this whole conflict has caused. Eastern Ukraine deserves peace.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

Always an agenda. Is he positioning himself for greater power, or has he had an attack of conscience? One guy can start a war, it has been done before.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

I have heard that he is pushing for a political role in Russia. Though I fail to see how this helps given the number of deaths and economic/political impacts on Russia that he claims to have caused.

What we do know is that it was the murder of civillans who spoke out against those who has seized buildings in Donbass that forced Kievs hand in sending in troops to restore law and order, and there seems reason to beleive that Kiev was not expecting to come up against an increasingly organised and heavily armed opposition.

Strelkov may well be responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocent people, as he claims.

Of course, he also claimed to be responsible for shooting down an aircraft he thought was a Ukrainian military plane ..... (a claim he later withdrew when the reality of his crime was revealed).

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

I think he is a whack job myself. If you follow the op's link at the bottom of the page are a couple more stories on him that don't show he is all there really.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Strelkov may well be responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocent people, as he claims.

I wonder what Putin offered to get him to be the sole patsy for all of this?

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

I wonder what Putin offered to get him to be the sole patsy for all of this?

Polonium-free tea.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Apparently he was stable enough for Russia to trust him by sending him to Ukraine to lead.

He stepped down from his post for a reason. Putin could not argue his point on self determination when the political and military leadership for rebels in south and east Ukraine were in fact Russian citizens. I think the guy just below girkin also resigned as he was a Russian citizen also.

He has commented before on his issue with Moscow and them not overtly wading into the fray. Maybe he has decided to force Russia's hand by exposing their involvement. It puts Russia into the position of being forced to act instead of the wait and see obfuscation game they play.

Pro Russian rebels leadership does not have to worry about political ramifications that Russia does.

Trying to dismiss his interview because it doesn't support what Russia says is just sad and desperate.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
Apparently he was stable enough for Russia to trust him by sending him to Ukraine to lead.

He stepped down from his post for a reason. Putin could not argue his point on self determination when the political and military leadership for rebels in south and east Ukraine were in fact Russian citizens. I think the guy just below girkin also resigned as he was a Russian citizen also.

He has commented before on his issue with Moscow and them not overtly wading into the fray. Maybe he has decided to force Russia's hand by exposing their involvement. It puts Russia into the position of being forced to act instead of the wait and see obfuscation game they play.

Pro Russian rebels leadership does not have to worry about political ramifications that Russia does.

Trying to dismiss his interview because it doesn't support what Russia says is just sad and desperate.

If it were an interview of a Ukrainian who said that the US is directly responsible you'd dismiss it out of hand. Maybe you shouldn't call people sad and desperate so casually.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
People might wanna take this guy's interview with a grain of salt.

But in fact, Strelkov does not run the social media pages that generate these quotes. He never has. Since April, he has only published his messages on an Internet forum dedicated to the antique trade, forum-antikvariat.ru.... He writes under the username “Kotych” (“Cat”). Others then take Strelkov’s messages and copy them on to Facebook, VKontakte, and Livejournal. Some of these pages are maintained by Strelkov’s sincere fans. Others are run by Ukrainian activists, still others just by pranksters. As a result, it can sometimes be difficult to divine authentic quotes from fabrications. For example, “Strelkov” once ordered his subordinate Cossacks to dress less provocatively in order to avoid provoking sexual desire among gay Caucasians. The virtual “Strelkov” also ordered the troops to lay down their arms and to leave for Russia in civilian clothes. Amazingly, even after four months of war, most Russian journalists have not learned to tell the real Strelkov from the impostors, and now this mistake has crossed the ocean and spread through the American media.

They say that real actors dream of playing the greatest roles in real life beyond the confines of the stage. This may also the dream of war reenactors who play at battle while fantasizing about the real thing. What had once been a game for Strelkov has now become a real war, with real deaths, real shootouts, and real assaults. If Putin does not want to become a sponsor of international terrorism in front of the whole world, he will have to do all he can to stop Strelkov. The Ukrainians think this is very simple: Putin orders Strelkov to return to Moscow, and the Donbass is at peace. To me, this does not seem very realistic: I doubt Strelkov would take orders from Putin.

www.newrepublic.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Im sure there are greater names behind this conflict....this is crap from a mad dogs mouth.....

Translation: I don't want it to be true so I will ignore all confessions until the people I want to be responsible confess then I will believe it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join