It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello my name is Nonspecific and I am an alcoholic.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

You didn't read my previous posts. I used cannabis for several months and then stopped. While using cannabis I also quit vaping (nicotine) and drinking coffee and other types of caffeine. I am indeed free of addiction.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnnyBgood

You didn't read my previous posts. I used cannabis for several months and then stopped. While using cannabis I also quit vaping (nicotine) and drinking coffee and other types of caffeine. I am indeed free of addiction.

I did not catch that, my apologies. How about addiction to specific thoughts and to self. We're all addicted to something. It's a process not a destination.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I always figured food addicts have it even harder to overcome their problems.
They HAVE to take "that first bite".
Alcoholics, generally, do best with never "taking that first drink", because really, you don't NEED to.

And yeah,..."been there, done that".
I wish you luck, Nonspecific.
Just do it One Day at a Time.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I can agree with you on this. Now I am mostly just addicted to herbal tea and reading on the internet. I do still have the same obsessive compulsive type traits they are just focused into less destructive behaviors than before.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
As the Op states I am an alcoholic, I have been for many years.

We all have our problems. I have a certain ailment that sometimes, I think, I would change gladly to almost any common modern problem (like alcoholism, because at least they have something I can never have). But it's tough living on this planet, I don't blame people who become addicted to pretty much anything.

I mean, it's so easy to become addicted to unhealthy things, when unhealthy things surround us, and give us a small, temporary relief, and perhaps even some pleasure, and when enjoying them is so common, usual, and tied to a lot of social functions. Try to be completely sober and be social in this world.. I am not sure if it's even possible.

Also, try to list three major celebrations in life that absolutely do not have any booze in them usually - weddings, funerals, thanksgivings, new years, etc..

Even healthy food is way more expensive than unhealthy garbage that we are constantly pushed to eat with billions and billions worth of advertising.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.. I just wanted to reply to this bit:

I have given all the reasons under the sun to explain this.

Under the sun. Like, under the sun's authority? (Standing under authority is what 'understand' means, when a cop says it - it's legalese, and it is used to create a verbal contract, where authority is transferred from a free human being to a policy enforcer, for example)

I never realized this before, but the very saying ".. under the sun" might actually refer to sun worshipping - being under the authority of the sun.

Logically speaking, it doesn't make sense, because sun is never 'over' or 'under' anything, as there are no 'up' or 'down' in space, where the sun (like Terra) is.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Not a stupid question at all, yes my dad is an alcoholic and I have spent a long time looking at the similarities.

a reply to: intrepid

Irish blood? x'Ds joking. My mum was/is one but it's more controlled. In my honest view. It's a Stimuli so in the end we have a manner of willpower to beat it ... Addiction sux Like Nike :/ Peace

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Hi nonspecific. This thread has been of great interest to me. My parents both had major issues with alcohol at different times. This had a profound effect on me since I had to be the "adult" at a very young age.

My son, who is now 28yrs has had problems with alcohol since age 15 or so. Has caused our family a lot of grief but we love him dearly. He tried AA but didn't like it. The higher power thing he wouldn't have. So, two months after an eight month jail sentence (due to things happening while under influence...anger issues) he is struggling again, and so are we as his family. He is living here at home again.

I went to Alanon for a while but was diagnosed with cancer and had to shift my attention, but I found it helpful and have thought of going back.

Just wanted to thank you for the thread and others' contributions.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Me too brother, along with a lot of other people I know. Most of them are functional alcoholics to be fair (which is to say, they have a reasonable degree of self-control over their addictions and hold jobs & responsibilities etc.), but they still drink themselves stupid whenever the opportunity arises.

It's an epidemic for sure, and a hard one to manage due to the incredibly complex factors involved in the individual themselves. Everybody's different, and no two addicts are the same (even if they're addicted to the same substance). My only advice to you as a fellow drunk/addict is to learn how to take a step back and put life into genuine perspective. Study some Zen philosophy. Read about people who overcame their own trials and tribulations (like Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis, for example). Learn to love yourself as you are before you try to change yourself. Otherwise the process is very overwhelming and difficult.

Until you believe yourself worthy of liberation, you will continue to suffer the torment of self-imposed misery. And I say this as one of those who still believes themselves unworthy - so don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's easy. I'm saying it's simple. We drink (or smoke or snort or shoot) because we're not comfortable with our natural state of consciousness. Why this is so differs infinitely from person to person, but given the general dysfunction of the day-to-day world we live in, you should not feel ashamed (or surprised) for being an addict. But good luck with kicking the bottle. I hope you get your freedom back. Just because it's a reasonable reaction to an insane world does not mean it's an enjoyable or acceptable state of being. It sucks. But you'll be fine if you just be honest with yourself and open with those you love.

Peace friend. Take it easy (or don't take it at all).

edit on 23/11/2014 by TheAnarchist because: ~

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

I love your take on this and thank you for it but I have to disagree.

The reason I say I am an alcoholic is that I am addicted to alcohol, I have been through the reasons and excuses but for the best part of 20 years I have been unable to function and have had to resort to drinking alcohol to be able to survive in normal life.

As I said earlier I understand your take on this but the situation has progressed beyond the ability to change my outlook on this.

I would love to simply change my perspective.

a reply to: seeker1963

I respect your honesty!

If what you said is true, then perhaps you are an alcoholic. If being in an AA group gives you strength, then by all means you go for it!

I just hate to see someone define themselves based upon a weakness.

We all have them, and we are all capable of overcoming them.

I wish you peace in your journey to overcome your addiction my friend!

I have to agree with you to a certain extent here. For want of a better term, I am an alcoholic and don't drink. However, as much as it's parroted in society right now, there is NO PROOF that alcoholism, or drinking problems, is a brain condition, or that alcoholism is a "disease," or that sex addiction, gambling addiction are a "disease."

The disease model of addiction is just that: a model. It was postulated by E.M. Jellinek in the 40s. He himself later withdrew his support of this notion. But the disease model quickly gained popularity, later became generally accepted without any supporting proof that it is functional. One of the reasons the disease model became so popular is because it absolved the person with the disease of any responsibility. "It's not my fault. I can't control it. I have a disease." This allowed individuals with addictions a context in which to take control of this problem, and as far as that goes, it's somewhat useful. It also allowed doctors a method of action from their perspective.

However, if you research, many many doctors and psychologists dispute this model - in fact a great majority of them do when questioned. It's really more general society that accepts this model. There is also much evidence that despite the rampant idea that an alcoholic can never change, that they can. This does not mean I'm out there trying to change into a moderate drinker. I find it easy to avoid alcohol and I don't want to have it screw my life up.

But I AM supporting the idea that many of the popular ideas about alcohol and addiction in general can easily be disputed.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
An update from an Op, Thank you to everyone that has posted here either to me or to others.

I am going to take a simple approch to this and just give it an hour every day. Right now it's winter and it's dark at 5pm so thats good for a beer, tommorow I will wait until 6pm and give that 3 days.

Then I plan on going to 7pm for a few days and hopefully I can make it to 10pm.

Then it's time to wait until tommorow and then above and beyond.

Good luck to everone and lets see how it goes.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

I don't tend to admit it however I believe that the appropriate term for me is "functioning alcoholic..."

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join