It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello my name is Nonspecific and I am an alcoholic.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Welcome aboard nonspecific and much respect to you for explaining your situation in your introduction post.

I am sure that you will enjoy yourself here and hopefully find the answers that you are looking for.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Seems I've seen you around here on a couple of threads before. If I remember correctly I agreed with your views (memory is shot).

If it's of any support I too find it hard to not drink every day. It goes in peaks and troughs, sometimes I'm into only 4 cans other times its's 9 pints a night. Weekends are often a constant stream of alcohol.

I'm trying hard to get off and find if I focus on how my daughter will see me in days to come it helps.

What doesn't help is that it is socially acceptable to drink every day.

I believe half of the problem is genetic/hereditary. Compulsive addictive personalities searching to get away from the mundane.

I don't admit this much. I've only just started admitting it to myself. Wednesday and Thursday I didn't drink through kidney pain. Unfortunately I'm looking forward to a drink tonight and it's 9am in the morning.

So you're not on your own. Contact me if you need anything!

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Every alcoholic is different, but I can tell you about my past. I spent 2 years in bottles of Southern Comfort and was literally drunk 24/7 during that time (with minor exceptions). Two back-to-back DUIs, loss of license, family problems (obviously), showing up to D&C drunk and finally...jail for 12 days.

Mine started as depression and turned into a death wish of sorts. When I hit rock bottom and everyone abandoned me...my view changed. I didn't want to die anymore. I got out, got straight and have been ever since. After 5 years without drinking, I began having a once-in-a-blue-moon drink and never to the point of being drunk. So...I drink on rare occasions and have never relapsed. I would call that cured.

What worked for me was understanding that I have an addictive personality. I can't change that and there is no cure. But I can DECIDE what to be addicted to. I chose work and I now run multiple website businesses and hold down a nice full-time job. I have a tough schedule and a routine and I make time for family and friends.

So my best advice is this. Get out of the depression if there is any...decide YOU have value even if you don't see it and admit that you are an addict and will always be. Choose your addiction. Work, music, exercise...religion (if you must).

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I am the daughter of an alcoholic, my dad goes through times of acknowledgement of his problem, and times of denial.

I'm encouraged to see so many of you recognize that this is a lifelong battle, and not a phase. A friend once told me "my dad used to be an alcoholic" and I was floored by the past tense usage. Addiction is a lifelong battle for those suffering from it, and those around you.
edit on 21-11-2014 by chelsdh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I can relate. I also KNOW that drinking only makes things worse. You want things to get better for you? Stop drinking. Your life won't be perfect. But it sure as hell won't be as srewed up either. I'm not just blowing smoke. I've been where you say you are.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Hello All

I joined just to respond to the OP and the rest ( not playing favorites lol )
I have been a long time fan of this site

My background
alcoholism runs deep in my family
am I an alcoholic yes
do I drink to excess yes
has drinking everyday for years effected my life yes
have I done things I regret while I was drunk yes

Have I worked for major companies as a designer and art director yes ( reebok sean john ecko unlimited coke pepsi coors bud bla bla bla )
Have I dated women that were alcoholics and drug addicts who worked for companies ranging from A n R reps for record labels to lawyers yes ( I love dicadomy lol )
Have I had a fun life yes

Im spiritual studied most every religion.
We are born we die and its all gooie fun in the middle

Im self aware of who I am. Im a very good compassionate human being ( pretested for mensa asked to take test to join) just saying lol

Am I lazy well its just relative to the observer
Am I an alcoholic just relative to the observer

So when ones self admits they are an alcoholic what are you really doing. Giving in to what others need to here from you cause they need weak to feel strong. Do you need to see bottom before top. See the light from the dark. What I have seen in life is a lot of the most insecure people in life will need to label others cause they themselves follow a label to feel good.

Im going into a rehab not so much for drinking but I drink to excess because of the pain the stupid selfish people have caused me ( my own family ) just a glimse lol ( my father died when I was 15 he was on PT boats WW2 silver star bronz star. after he died my mother lost her mind. Brought me to a priest and in front of him said in the bible obey your father and mother. I reworked the riding mower to gather the leaves - an acre of land - No you rake it by hand )
My father always put education first my mother said you cant go to collage and leave me

I have been on my own since 17
Am I an alcoholic yes
is it because Im diseased NO
Im a product of stupidity of selfishness

Stay strong open and look deep within yourself
accept the labels from the ignorant and weak its all they have lol

Peace love and above all happiness

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I fell pretty deep into the bottle in my early twenties and spent 10 years going nowhere. I think for me it was learning about 9-11 and finding out that my strongly held religious beliefs were bogus (basiclly my whole world view fell apart) that drove my illness.

I have been free for a while now. I just started smoking reefer (legally of course) for a few months to help deal with the withdrawal and the shot nerves. After a while I stopped smoking as well because I didn't like some of those effects either. While using cannabis I also took the opportunity to stop vaping and drinking caffeine as well and now I am completely free from stimulants and addiction in general.

I do still have a drink or two on occasion but I do not feel the strong compulsion to over do it as I have in the past. This is just my experience and I don't know if it will work for others, it is possible that getting older and maturing helped me to overcome the addiction as well.

I do hope this is helpful and good luck to all of you who are struggling.

On a side note. I think that nicotine and caffeine and any other stimulants help to drive the compulsive cravings for alcohol.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I agree, I was labeled an alcoholic when I was a teen and I got a minor in possession ticket. I do not believe that it does any good. In fact it just made me want to drink more in order to prove them wrong thus helping me to become what I had already been mislabeled. I was addicted to nicotine and caffeine but no label for those addictions? (smoker is a label I guess)

I also don't agree with "once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic". Once I dealt with the root emotional issues, (childhood problems, missed opportunities, various abuses by family, friends and police) and got to the root of the pain and anger it became much easier to let go of the bottle.

As I have stated, I do still on occasion partake but I do not go overboard and I do not feel the compulsion to keep on drinking afterward. I have become what they call a normy. I am living proof that the addiction can be cured.

This is the problem I have always had with AA. They are like big pharma, they don't want to cure you, they want to treat you for life. If it works for some then great, anything is better than the torment that alcoholism can cause but I don't personally agree with it.

Maybe it's a conspiracy, haha

edit on 21-11-2014 by johnnyBgood because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I think many of us here understand all to well.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Being an alcoholic was never my defining characteristic. It was just something that happened and became part of me. I did not dwell on it and while drying out I did not count the days, I did not even give it a though except when a thought was unavoidable.

My defining characteristics have always been kindness and compassion with a love of science and God and a strong passion to figure out the truth of the world. Drinking was just a side note most of the time. Of course there were many times that it become front and center but not by my choosing.

Perhaps that is also a choice.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

My experience was similar to yours however my dad was an alcoholic for many years, I just did not live with him. My mom and step dad did not drink. I too did not like the taste of it, I assumed that no one did and it was an acquired taste.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: johnnyBgood

Obviously, since I don't suffer from this particular malady, I can only speak from observation, but if one can indulge without going to an excess, then perhaps it isn't an "addiction" ... I have seen people who simply cannot partake without going too far. Some people are just more likely to develop addiction. I smoked for a few years, but i never felt physically compelled to light up, smoked mostly in social settings. When I found out I was expecting, didn't touch another one. I never drank too much and always knew when I had enough. I am doubtful that I have a predisposition to addiction (though, as stated earlier, my father is an addict). I am very fortunate. However, I have other demons to fight on a daily basis, which I do consider a type of addiction.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
As the Op states I am an alcoholic, I have been for many years. I have given all the reasons under the sun to explain this.

Stress, pressure of work/life ect. I just thought I would say this here before I take the plunge and say it out loud in the real world.

I am not looking for sympathy or aceptance, simply stating a fact, if anyone else has gone through this or is feeling similar it would be good to work through a few bits and bobs.

I would also like to appologise to anyone here I may have offended whilst on the wrong side of this.

Dear nonspecific, I'm an addict with 2+ years clean time. My message to you is twofold, 1. it can be done and 2. stop trying to come up with reasons for having a disease. You have a genetic condition/disease, that's the only reason you need. Now is a time to focus on recovery, don't waste time "wondering" how you "became" an alcoholic. Good luck, and I've seen many hopeless cases turn into success stories, from here on out you are sober, let that sink in for a minute.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh

Obviously, since I don't suffer from this particular malady, I can only speak from observation, but if one can indulge without going to an excess, then perhaps it isn't an "addiction" ... I have seen people who simply cannot partake without going too far. Some people are just more likely to develop addiction. I smoked for a few years, but i never felt physically compelled to light up, smoked mostly in social settings. When I found out I was expecting, didn't touch another one. I never drank too much and always knew when I had enough. I am doubtful that I have a predisposition to addiction (though, as stated earlier, my father is an addict). I am very fortunate. However, I have other demons to fight on a daily basis, which I do consider a type of addiction.

My wife and other relatives would greatly disagree with you on this. My dad and granpas on both sides were alcoholics. My grandpas died that way at old ages but my dad overcame it as I have, (also using cannabis) so if there is a gene, I most likely have it, that does not necessarily mean that I am doomed to be adversely affected for my entire life.

I drank compulsively and excessively for years and went through painful withdrawal every time I tried to stop, if that isn't addiction than nothing is. That being said, we are all different and what is right for me may not be so for others. I certainly will never touch nicotine again for fear that it will regain get a grip on me.

Here on ats we should already know better than to believe everything we have been taught and everything the establishment has provided for our consumption.

edit on 21-11-2014 by johnnyBgood because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Good ol' cannabis.... Glad it helped y'all in that regard, and that you overcame your addiction!

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid
I have been clean and sober 25 years. In the beginning it was a battle, but if you want something bad enough you have to be willing to go to any length to get. And I know I can never drink again period end of story. But what is neat is I get to live my life the way I see fit. A chemical no longer controls me, I do. I put one foot in front of the other everyday and rewrite my life for the better.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Amazing, I'm addicted to nicotine but somehow I'm a scumbag

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
No disrespect here, I understand your sentiment entirely.

The reason I say I am an alcoholic is quite simply because I am addicted to alcohol, it's that simple.

I find it almost impossible to get through a day without it because it is what I have done for a very long time.

Does that make sense to anybody out there?

a reply to: seeker1963

It makes perfect sense to me brother.

Be strong.

message me if you have any questions.

Been there, still here.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

If you anticipate and think about your next drink - that is often a sign of obsession. Alcoholism isn't about how much or how often you drink, it's about what role it plays in your life.

When I used, alcohol or other substances and behavoirs, became the most important thing in the world to me - everything else came second. I could function quite well - but only because it was necessary to obtain my substance of choice.

You might want to honestly take "The Twenty Questions", which I'm sure can be found online, it may help you evaluate your 'real' situation.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Sounds like you just changed addictions. Now, I'm not against the use of any substance that is benefitial to health and happiness. But shifting addictions doesn't contribute to either - just prolongs the damage and pain. On a positive note it is an improvment, it is less harmful. Harm reduction is a valid approach but it isn't a solution to the underlying problems of which addictions are but just a symptom. The underlying condition - self-centered fear in all it's many forms.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join