It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Hello my name is Nonspecific and I am an alcoholic.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:15 PM
a reply to: intrepid

Intrepid, have you seen any of the books on rage addicts? I've been trying to find them on amazon since I departed from the fellowship of A.A, but to no avail. There was a book in the resource box at the meeting I attended a couple of years ago that made a great deal of sense on this subject and I'd love to read over it again.

I think both sides of my family have been alcoholics since at least the time of the printing press. I have an aunt right now on a respirator and dialysis because of this disorder. Terrible affliction if you enable it to govern your life.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:16 PM

originally posted by: tinner07
a reply to: seeker1963

I think you are wrong on this. Alcoholism is real, just like a cancer in your body is real. It is in the way your brain works.
Not every heavy drinker/problem drinker/daily drinker is an alcoholic. They have issues the treat with alcohol.

It is hard to explain, but a true alcoholic, one sip of any alcohol can set the brain into needing more.

I understand that alcoholism is a disease.

Trust me! The Mods can tell when Seeker is drinking.

But my issue is how the system such as psychiatrists, the judicial system etc....are quick to put labels on people for making a few bad decisions.

As I already explained to the OP, I just hate to see someone define who they are based upon a label. Being an alcoholic is NOT who any of us are! It is a problem that we can overcome!

Perhaps I jumped the gun on my first post without intelligently explaining what I meant.....

I didn't mean to disrespect the OP NOR anyone else with being addicted to alcohol! Trust me, the only reason I do not have that label is that the law hasn't caught up to me and forced me into the system.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:19 PM
a reply to: Nechash

Sorry man. I wasn't an AA guy. Tried it for almost a year and damn near went nuts. I had a counselor. That worked for me.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:21 PM
a reply to: nonspecific

I have been alcohol and drug free since Aug 10 1986.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:24 PM
No disrespect here, I understand your sentiment entirely.

The reason I say I am an alcoholic is quite simply because I am addicted to alcohol, it's that simple.

I find it almost impossible to get through a day without it because it is what I have done for a very long time.

Does that make sense to anybody out there?

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:24 PM

I appreciate your honesty!

For myself, I'm living a fulfilling life for the first time ever and it's only because I am in recovery and am beginning to get spiritually connected in a way that was missing (which is why I drank). In a sense, I feel like the alcoholism has led me on a spiritual journey I may have otherwise missed.

One thing to note is that the program is a program of fellowship. The ones with longer periods of sobriety take the beginners under their wings and guide them through the steps. If they said they were no longer alcoholic and disappeared, the fellowship would disperse and there would be no one to show those still suffering from the disease how recovery works.

It's a cool program. You probably know many folks in recovery, just that it's an anonymous program of attraction rather than promotion, so we do not wear it like a badge, just live a happy life quietly helping others. It feels weird to be speaking about it now, but I want to share the love with Op.

edit on 20-11-2014 by raedar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:27 PM

I was to the point of having the shakes until I had a drink. Those were dark days.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:28 PM

I've been there. In fact back in the 80's 90's "intoxicants" were factored into my budget. No crap.

I've dealt with my issues. My drinking now is purely physical addiction. I can go a couple of days. By day 3... grrrrr. Day 4? Get all the sharp instruments away for me or someone will die. Still easier than cigarettes.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:33 PM

My wife has been in recovery for about 4 years. We've been together for 12. It all came to a head when she had given up work. I found her passed out in the early afternoon with a bottle of vodka, hidden in her pillow case. As you can imagine, over the years I have tried shouting, reasoning, phoning the Dr's etc but this time I just walked away, didn't say anything. For some reason that hit her like a ton of bricks and our journey to normality began.

She tried alcoholics anon but ran a mile. She felt they were pious with a holier than thou attitude (but it's what works for you.) We tried a local drug and alcohol service but they felt that you could control your drinking and it would be ok in moderation, so that was a big no. Due to her depression the Docs set her up with a cognitive behaviour therapist which changed her life, changed our life for the better.

Her father was an alcoholic, died in a car crash, driven by a drunk friend - she always blamed herself. Her mother and step father abused her, she was also born with a jaw deformity which required a lengthy op to correct plus being viewed as a freak by others, including her mother. She had a failed suicide attempt. She was kicked out by her mum over and over which was when the drinking started, spending her money on drink and hotels until she eventually wasn't fit to work. This behaviour continued until she ran away to her Nanny in Ireland. I come in shortly after.

She was controlling (for want of a better word) her drinking when she met me. It gradually became worse. I didn't realise she had a problem for a long time. Alcoholics can be sneaky Bastards.

Cue the hidden vodka in the pillow case. Her counsellor worked through all the issues I mentioned not long after she decided to stop drinking. She always says she did it by herself but she needed to tackle the reasons for why she started to drink. She used to go back to being in touch with her mother over and over only to be back in that mindset which then meant drinking herself into a stupor. She had both mummy and daddy issues which she still has now but she has the strategies to deal with them rather than turning to the drink. She changed her name by deed poll and has no contact with any of her family. Without the therapy and the desire to stop drinking, she wouldn't have done it. The withdrawal was bad but she got through it.

There is hope. I know I've rambled but I hope our story can help someone.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:38 PM
A very open an honest post. I thank you for your honesty.

I wish you both well.

a reply to: Scallywwagg

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:49 PM

Sure dude. I have nothing private but my soul.

I am down.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:50 PM

Just over two years dry here. Drank like a fish before that. Are you posting this because you plan to quit drinking are in a 12-step or something?

Whether you are quitting drinking or you are embracing it, I wish you good luck.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:59 PM
I guess no matter your addiction you need to realize how unhappy that person you are makes you.

Once you sit with that unpleasantness long enough you reach a fork in the road. Consume yourself in that low or get angry, motivated, relentless with your position. Rage against who you were for the faith you have in who you wish to be.

Have faith that the person you will be , will be everything you need to get yourself through this now.

Will future you sit in the low and desolate? Or will he pick himself and everything around him up and out of that?

Then you have to realize that its a choice. That power of self is not a gift, a don, or even luck. It is a choice you made.

Then allow yourself to be that person in little situations. Then allow that person to exist in bigger situations in your life. Its like working out. As you develop a tolerance for the things that used to be difficult you need to just keep pushing the horizon into infinity. Your limit must always be met. Your limit must never be defined-

When that person you envision is more of a reality you need to face off with the old you. Confront that person like it was a bad neighbor that just went too far one 4th of July or did that one thing to your lawn that just made you snap. Confront him and let out the years of rage and anger you had developed. THEN, forgive him. You will. It will feel great to have used that anger as fuel to get you where you needed to be. It will feel great to unload it in its entirety on the source of it as well. The old you will become a dickhead neighbor you just get along with. You wont live with him though. That person will always be there like that bad neighbor that you told off that one 4th of July....but you will wave good bye everyday as you leave for work and he will wave back no harm done. He as he is, and the new you as you are.

Its not so simple, but in a way it is. KISS theory all day every day.

Work with it, play with it, find your niche. Discover things you didnt know about yourself. Keep your mind alive and your soul fresh. That will get you some of the way through it. The rest you decide how, where and most importantly why.
edit on 11 20 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 06:01 PM
a reply to: tadaman

What else can I say?

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 06:33 PM

For an Alcoholic (and I am a life long one), being Alcoholic is the, I repeat, the defining characteristic.

It always works as a short-hand for a whole slew of behavoirs that are common to alcoholics (or other addicts).

I don't like labels very much myself and I don't define myself solely as an Alcoholic. I have worn and do wear a number of different hats.

My daughter is severly dyslexic. Her doctors and teachers never labeled her as such because each 'dsylexic' has different problems. But, for my daughter, having a word to refer to helped a lot. She knew something was wrong, those around her were concerned but it wasnt' until she had a label to call that she could relax, laugh at it, and work with it. She''s an avid reader and scholar as a young adult and, while she has plenty of support, I think having that label at that time in her life was a help. She still laughes when she 'dyslexics' things.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 06:46 PM
To non-specific,

If you truly an alcoholic, and only you can decide for yourself, you need to get help.

AA is the best place to start. If you live in an area with several different meetings available go to them all and continue going to the one you feel easiest at. Get involved. Give it time and keep an open mind.

Professional help is beneficial at evaluating whether or not you need a medically supervised detox and in-patient 'rehab'. But you must - must be honest about your use with these people - trust me they've heard it all.

You must stop isolating yourself (Addicts isolate phsyically and emotionally and get lost in our own delusional head-space) and going to meetings, rehab or therapy (not so much) will begin to pull your head out of your own ass - errr delusional headspace.

And you must ask for and accept help - even, especially, if you resist it.

You can read & talk & study all you want but until you begin honestly changing the way you think (just a tiny bit) you won't get anywhere.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 07:42 PM
a reply to: intrepid

Not as stupid a question as you may think but is one of your parents an alcoholic?

I definitely think there's a related connection for a son or daughter to become an alcoholic if one of their parent's was an alcoholic. I'm seeing it playing out in my sister-in-laws family.

What's odd, is my parent's didn't drink much. They never even had a bottle of beer in the house. When I started going out, I never really enjoyed the taste of beer, nor the hard stuff. You have to wonder if it's a learned behavior from watching a parent consuming alcohol, or if its actually a genetic tendency to have an addiction to the taste of alcohol.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 08:10 PM

Well then....thats a heck of thread topic! Congrats to you. And thanks. Its ok. Ive had...Im sure a lot of us have had...either family, friends or ourselves at issue with this. Its not a blameless app but any means.

There are many reasons, and it takes many tolls, destroying lives, people, families, friends, name it. But this you know.

It takes a lot of courage here to post as you did. Good for you. And youve got our support. Tomorrow is another day...just get through this one 1st.

Best to you....MS (Family member of several substance abusers through the years)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 08:52 PM
It doesn't matter if you are "an alcoholic" or just a heavy drinker.

The pertinent point is that you are alcohol-dependent.

It's an illness that can be treated much like any other illness; it only requires you to see a doctor.

In my case, it only required counselling or AA meetings (though I had tried both).

I can drink 'normally' now, but I'm practically teetotal. The desire isn't there.

I keep a bottle of whisky in the cupboard "just in case".

I do pour myself the odd shot, but it lasts the best part of a year.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:07 PM
now probly everyone hear will disagree with me or hate on this but ima start with this

is it just alcohol was there others will there be others

ima drunk ... alcoholics go to meetings ... and if uv ever been to one ... i have with my father
there so into god it makes me sick im not a man of god

me i drink every day about he same amount

i call it medicating long storie im not going into my "problem" is mine and i could care less what anyone thinks

but after you ansered that consider ur roots of it all

iv quit many drugs and i mean many tried all of them except opioids due to im allergic

my whole fammily has addiction in some from from my heroin cousin to the i dont do drugs i just like steroids and to be big cousin

it makes no diferance everyone has a vice and to claim otherwise u must be a monk caz its a lie idc if its ur morning coffie a smoke the gym and so on its a vice

my father once told me if i can work a full days work provide for my children and do what i need to as a man who are you to say that i cant drink at the end of the day ... if he could only live bye thows words

sadly he couldent i strive to prove it can be done

held down a job ever since i was 16 and never once was i a sober man

self control is all i have to say i have little but i manage

i drink daily and if i dindt i garentee id be on some sleeping drug or something worse

so my best advice dont be a alcoholic be someone in control
you choose ur vice nomater what is it make shure ur vice dosent control u

simple step take a day or 2 off
make shure and i mean really shure its not effecting ur life
my wife hates me dirnking every day but if fine with me being drunk she wories about my helth not my actions when drunk
if ur loseing hrs at work sleep relationships any of thease things plz work on it

my rule is simple tho if the sun isent down no alcohol goes down and always show up to work sober 2

edit on 20-11-2014 by markovian because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1    3  4 >>