It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello my name is Nonspecific and I am an alcoholic.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
As the Op states I am an alcoholic, I have been for many years. I have given all the reasons under the sun to explain this.

Stress, pressure of work/life ect. I just thought I would say this here before I take the plunge and say it out loud in the real world.

I am not looking for sympathy or aceptance, simply stating a fact, if anyone else has gone through this or is feeling similar it would be good to work through a few bits and bobs.

I would also like to appologise to anyone here I may have offended whilst on the wrong side of this.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I'm with ya Op! Going toward the light daily!

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I can say the same thing. However I do not really believe it is work/stress related.

Those may be factors but true alcoholism is a condition of the brain. At least that is what I have been told. Alcohol affects our brain differently than non-alcoholics. One sip and the brain continues to want more. Even though you may need to stop drinking for the night, your brain tells you more is needed and desired.

That is why a true alcoholic cannot control their drinking by switching to wine or beer or any other alcohol,

I have said it to the world, I am an alcoholic, And I have to say it is not the end of the world.

Good luck on any path you take from here on out

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Not as stupid a question as you may think but is one of your parents an alcoholic?

Oh and yeah. I'm an alcoholic.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I found a group, did 90 in 90, living life now! It's great!

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Not a stupid question at all, yes my dad is an alcoholic and I have spent a long time looking at the similarities.

a reply to: intrepid

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Hey

I guess the first step is to know.

I would tell you that demons dont go away, we just learn to conquer them. Personal power. Empower yourself to do what you would allow yourself to.

The same way you allow yourself to drink, you have to allow yourself to choose not to.

Its about choice. Its about allowing yourself to decide.

Good luck. Let me know if I can help in any way. Even if you want to talk. I have conquered some of my own demons. I am willing to listen.

Hold it down.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Could you explain please?

a reply to: raedar

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Are you willing to explain in public? if not for me it may help others?

a reply to: tadaman

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Sure thing. I went inpatient to detox (was easier for my body). I found an AA group that I liked, let folks get to know me, went to 90 meetings in 90 days (helps in many ways), and started working the steps with a sponsor.

From what I have learned and experienced, it's a spiritual disease and the alcohol is a symptom. So the program is designed to connect you spiritually to a higher power. It works and I have no idea why. But I have the longest break in drinking I've ever had, and I've no desire to get lit. It's actually really crazy, ha. But I'm just going with it!

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

If it makes you feel better calling yourself an "alcoholic" then feel free to do so!

I respect your honesty.

But I prefer just another human being who has made some mistakes instead of being labeled something that will never go away........

We all make mistakes! To label yourself as an alcoholic serves what purpose? Feel freedom by shedding ALL labels and just BE YOU!

Correct your proclivity to depend on alcohol and guess what? You are no longer an alcoholic!

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I am an alcoholic and have not had a drink for 19 years. If you need some help just let me know. I made a decision years ago that I could not live like that anymore and I haven't.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I love your take on this and thank you for it but I have to disagree.

The reason I say I am an alcoholic is that I am addicted to alcohol, I have been through the reasons and excuses but for the best part of 20 years I have been unable to function and have had to resort to drinking alcohol to be able to survive in normal life.

As I said earlier I understand your take on this but the situation has progressed beyond the ability to change my outlook on this.

I would love to simply change my perspective.

a reply to: seeker1963

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

I love your take on this and thank you for it but I have to disagree.

The reason I say I am an alcoholic is that I am addicted to alcohol, I have been through the reasons and excuses but for the best part of 20 years I have been unable to function and have had to resort to drinking alcohol to be able to survive in normal life.

As I said earlier I understand your take on this but the situation has progressed beyond the ability to change my outlook on this.

I would love to simply change my perspective.

I respect your honesty!

If what you said is true, then perhaps you are an alcoholic. If being in an AA group gives you strength, then by all means you go for it!

I just hate to see someone define themselves based upon a weakness.

We all have them, and we are all capable of overcoming them.

I wish you peace in your journey to overcome your addiction my friend!

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

If it makes you feel better calling yourself an "alcoholic" then feel free to do so!

Not at all, actually!

If I didn't drink for 50 years and then I drank, I would still have the same reaction to alcohol. It would kick off a mess of physical reactions that do not happen to other people. That means that before, during and after that 50 years I was still an alcoholic.

I think it's difficult for folks that are not alcoholic/addict to understand, and that's perfectly understandable to me now.

Op, try working with other alcoholics as it's the tried and true method that has worked for millions at this point. People that are not alcoholic have trouble grasping it, but every alcoholic will understand you, mate!
edit on 20-11-2014 by raedar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

This is a must read. Everything that you "know" is put so plainly that you can recognize stuff and deal with it.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
As the Op states I am an alcoholic, I have been for many years. I have given all the reasons under the sun to explain this.

Stress, pressure of work/life ect. I just thought I would say this here before I take the plunge and say it out loud in the real world.

Onwards and upwards.
I am not an alcoholic.
Went to a few meetings and realised I was a habitual drinker, stopped and now just drink no more than 2 or 3 beers a month, when eating out.
Though when and while at AA the few times I did go, I came to realise the people there are wonderful and very caring.

Going to AA was very interesting, I am a better person for it. It wasnt that hard and was worth pursuing.
Taking your life back, good to hear

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I think you are wrong on this. Alcoholism is real, just like a cancer in your body is real. It is in the way your brain works.
Not every heavy drinker/problem drinker/daily drinker is an alcoholic. They have issues the treat with alcohol.

It is hard to explain, but a true alcoholic, one sip of any alcohol can set the brain into needing more.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
Correct your proclivity to depend on alcohol and guess what? You are no longer an alcoholic!

My friend you have NO idea. Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic.... even if sober.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
It is hard to explain, but a true alcoholic, one sip of any alcohol can set the brain into needing more.

Yup. "1 is too much and 24 isn't enough."

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join