It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disturbing! The Gulf Stream Now Stalling In Two Broken Areas!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: IngyBall

It would literally mess up the Earth's equilibrium Places that are cold would stay cold places that are warm would stay warm because the jet stream wouldn't be there to allow warm or cold air to infiltrate an area.
You seem to be saying that the jet stream creates weather. It doesn't. The jetstream is caused by the collision of two large airmasses. The polar jet streams at the meeting of the polar airmass and the temperate air mass. Storm systems are not moved by the jet streams, they are moved by much larger circulation patterns in the troposphere. So the jet stream really can't "break down", not unless global temperatures became the same from pole to pole, and that can't happen.

The reason there is so much talk by TV weathermen and other general sources about the jet stream is because it is a readily available indicator of where that Arctic air mass is lurking. But they often (usually) confuse "Arctic air is moving south, creating a kink in the jet stream" with "the jet stream is bringing frigid air into the mid-west".

This isn't to say that the jet streams do not affect weather. When clouds get tall enough to reach a jet stream, they do become entrained and pulled very rapidly across the sky.

A jet stream forms high in the upper troposphere between two air masses of very different temperature. The greater the temperature difference between the air masses, the faster the wind blows in the jet stream.

Contrary to popular belief, the jet stream does not "cause" weather conditions of a certain type to occur. Its existence is instead the result of certain weather conditions (a large temperature contrast between two air masses).

www.weatherquestions.com...

edit on 11/21/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Phage we all know that from the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" that if the Gulf Stream stops that we'll heavy bird migration, New York will have a massive Tsunami, and everyone will have to flee to Mexico. Viola! Instant Ice Age.

Let me find the proof....ah yes here's the link.

edit on 21-11-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Been in Alaska all my life and have seen weather patterns like this before.

Not that alarming, to me at least. More so: I like it. It's late November. There isn't an inch of snow on the ground in Anchorage. I'm okay with this.

In another year or two we'll be back to having had a dozen dumps on us by late November and people will be freaking out about how much snow we're getting, because apparently people can't remember more than one year to the next.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: smurfy

all that oil from the deepwater fubar must have made its' way into the atlantic to absorb all the heat. perhaps this is bs, however this has surfaced in my mind umpteen times since the event occurred. que the oil hammers!
f
flagged and starred you dude.

Are you seeing what no one else can see?

You are a very naughty boy! tread carefully.

Oil has less specific heat than water.

Also, compared to the volume of the Gulf stream, all the oil leaked is a drop in the bucket.

So, no.

oil has the ability to absorb and retain heat more efficiently than water, salt water, I have been led to understand. i am also wondering as to the actual volume of oil released from the wellhead, its' propagation into the atlantic, sub-surface and its' ability to absorb or join with or merge with the actual current which transits northward.
f.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Stuff like this happens every winter, it's not unusual. We aren't going into an ice age.

It's pretty much guaranteed that next summer, some heatwaves will come along and everyone will be shouting global warming again. Then the following winter....

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

Global warming doesn't mean suddenly we're going to live in a tropical paradise. It means that the earth get's warmer causing climate change. From cold climate, to warm climates. One warm area can suddenly become cold, one cold area can suddenly become warm. It's more detailed than that, but that's what it generally means.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: SensiblyReckless
Stuff like this happens every winter, it's not unusual. We aren't going into an ice age.

It's pretty much guaranteed that next summer, some heatwaves will come along and everyone will be shouting global warming again. Then the following winter....

To be fair, heatwaves have come along this week - just not in the USA

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Not once did I say the Jet stream creates weather, The Jet stream moves weather, Low pressure systems move with the flow of the Jet stream. And if the Jet Stream ever broke down, and something extreme would have to happen for it to occur, Weather would not be able to move across it. Its the jet stream that allows Arctic High Pressures to plunge south and spread cold weather to the U.S. When this happens the Jet stream forms a trough over the areas that the cold intrudes, and whenever there is a trough there has to be a ridge, which is why Alaska is warmer than the U.S sometimes because a ridge forms over it. But yeah the Jet stream doesn't make weather, it moves it, which is why IF it broke down it would mess up equilibrium. Of course there are other wind current like the Gulf Jet, not the ocean current, that can affect weather and move it, but not nearly as much as the Jet Stream.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

If the gulf stream stops it might make it cold, but not to the proportions of the movie. The movie broke many laws of physics, like how cold air from the upper atmosphere didn't heat up as it rushed towards the ground. Nonetheless if the gulf stream stopped there would probably be some issues, just not at the magnitude of the movie.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

edit on 21-11-2014 by IngyBall because: double post

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
If that's the case, why are there Swedish glaciers which are much older than that? It may have been warmer at some times than at other times, but it was not tropical.

You can see the history of it, through it's forrests ... but not only was it tropical at one (well, arguably tropic ... but since forrests that only grow in tropical areas, were dominating it, the climate must have been at least, close to tropical), part of it is even old sea bottom. And on top of it, the eastern sea is also an in-sea, slowly turning into sea.

Really?
icelandreview.com...

Actually, yes ... really. The above is the result of decades of Russian development and research done in the highlands of Iceland, which has lead to this. Iceland has been full of "wheat" grods since the Vikings brought it with them, that grow but never became wheat ... since around the year 1000. At that time, no genetic manipulation was needed to grow wheat ... the traditional wheat grew without problems.

But the burning of fossil fuels produces far more CO2 than volcanoes do.

mmm ... no

Case in point ... Venus.

Some maybe, but most who are concerned about global warming are advocating for increased use of alternative energy sources, alternative to fossil fuels.

Alternative energy? hardly ... we could have been using hydrogen based fuels, to run our cars, for decades. Last information is, Germany developing engines, where many were ready for production ... then the patents were bought by US interrests, and stashed.

So much for your "alternative energy" ... it's politics. More "whose the big hen" policy, than "what's best for mankind" policy.

edit on 21/11/2014 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
The Gulf Stream isnt shutting down - any more than the whole world is about to fry due to the heatwaves in Australia. The Gulf Stream didnt even shut down during the last ice age ....

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: IngyBall

The Jet stream moves weather, Low pressure systems move with the flow of the Jet stream.
No. Systems in the troposphere (both highs and lows) move, more or less, with larger patterns of air flow in the troposphere. 2.bp.blogspot.com...

Its the jet stream that allows Arctic High Pressures to plunge south and spread cold weather to the U.S.
No, the jet stream moving south is the result of Arctic air moving south.

When this happens the Jet stream forms a trough over the areas that the cold intrudes,
You just said that the jet stream does not create weather. Now your are saying it forms troughs?

Colder air is more dense than warmer air, it is heavier than warmer air. An intrusion of colder air does not create low pressure, it creates higher pressure. That is why surface pressure rises after a front passes and the cold air which follows the front moves in.

The jet stream does not create weather, it does not move weather. It is the result of the large scale processes that do; the convergence of air masses of different temperatures (and therefore densities) and the Coriolis effect. The link I provided earlier explains it quite clearly.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I didn't say colder air creates low pressure, and a trough is just a dip in the jet stream when colder air from the north pushes the stream south. And yes you are right, the jet stream does move south when arctic air plunges south, I described that wrong. This website seems to disagree with yours, the Jet stream does steer the weather in the U.S like I said. www.newton.dep.anl.gov... it explains the jet streams role a lot better than I can, probably because they are professionals and I haven't even gone to college to study Meteorology yet. But like I said earlier, I didn't say the Jet stream creates weather, it steers it.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyMayhew

originally posted by: SensiblyReckless

To be fair, heatwaves have come along this week - just not in the USA

Yeah, a few peeps in this thread don't seem to be aware of the southern hemisphere, lol.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Sure has been. Maybe you missed the class on how to use words in past tense. It's frozen, not froze.
a reply to: MALBOSIA

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Let the doubters doubt!

I know this is going to be absolutely catastrophic in the long run.

This Winter is only the beginning.

edit on 21-11-2014 by Eagleyedobserver because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
hello all first reply on ats long time user ....i live in ohio and are winters are so much colder than normal.
We always have snow in winter and 32 degrees but never never in the negitives lol ....end of the world may King Jesus come

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: fakedirt

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: smurfy

all that oil from the deepwater fubar must have made its' way into the atlantic to absorb all the heat. perhaps this is bs, however this has surfaced in my mind umpteen times since the event occurred. que the oil hammers!
f
flagged and starred you dude.

Are you seeing what no one else can see?

You are a very naughty boy! tread carefully.

Oil has less specific heat than water.

Also, compared to the volume of the Gulf stream, all the oil leaked is a drop in the bucket.

So, no.

oil has the ability to absorb and retain heat more efficiently than water, salt water, I have been led to understand. i am also wondering as to the actual volume of oil released from the wellhead, its' propagation into the atlantic, sub-surface and its' ability to absorb or join with or merge with the actual current which transits northward.
f.

In physics water has a higher specific heat, hence it will take longer to heat up water and also longer for that heat to dissipate. If you were to get a pan of water and a pan of oil side by side on the stove the oil would reach 200F much quicker than the water - in fact the water might not even be half way there. Also by the same principle when both are at the same temperature and the heat source removed the oil will cool long before the water does.

Oil does have a higher boiling point than water but it doesnt absorb more heat.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ObsidianEclipse

on parity with the first half. I will test the latter part in the not too distant future. many thanks for the reply and a star for you.
f.

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join