It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knightscope Security Robot finally being deployed to companies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com... s-security-guard/

The company said the robots will be deployed in outdoor settings, such as corporate campuses, college campuses and open air malls.

If someone decides to attack the robot, it could get uncomfortable. When first confronted, they let out a loud chirp and notify the control center. The chirps will get louder and louder as the threat persists.

“A very, very loud alarm,” said Stephens. “Think of a car alarm but much more intense.”

The security robots are now patrolling in the Bay Area.

The Knightscope K5s are in effect at an undisclosed location in the Silicon Valley.

“Unfortunately, I cannot share who it is,” Stephens said. “Soon you will see them everywhere.”

The makers of the robot said they have a long waiting list of about four dozen companies waiting for a K5. They expect to put many more of these robots in place sometime next year.

Been following these guys for a while. Initially I thought that this may turn into vaporware but it looks like their test have gone well and there are serious companies looking to invest in this technology. I have a feeling that these security bots will be the tipping point where we finally start to see robots in everyday life. I can already think of a few trouble areas in my town where these would be a huge benefit. Deterrence and prevention is far better than arrest and incarceration for all parties.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Jeeze, give it arms and a taser, cant be as bad a shot as some of out law enforcement officials.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Looking forward to creative countermeasures and the emergence of IEMPD's (Improvised Electromagnetic Pulse Devices).

Screw tyranny, government terrorism, and the surveillance state.

edit on 20-11-2014 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
From the article: "They are unarmed, but they are imposing: about 5 feet tall and 300 pounds, which very likely will make someone think twice before committing a crime in their presence."

Tell that to a sledgehammer... or hell, some duct tape conveniently placed over it's sensors. These aren't so much security bots as much as mobile security cameras. Gotta give them points for trying at least. Here's to skynet in another few years.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
It's the first iteration of Dalek

Unarmed for now..

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasoul
Looking forward to creative countermeasures and the emergence of IEMPD's (Improvised Electromagnetic Pulse Devices).

Low tech will do...

The K5 security robot uses LIDAR to navigate and create 3D scans for the operators to view, SO, just cover them up with a large vinyl tarp. With two people moving quickly and efficiently, the operator might not even see or understand what happened. The K5 might even get tripped up on the tarp, once covered and topple over, negating the advantage of being 300 lbs. Paintball guns and Foam Fire extinguishers will also work in a pinch.

Or you can do like they used to do in Doctor Who, when the Daleks showed up, simply run up or down a flight of stairs.
edit on 20-11-2014 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
lol you do not even need to use tape, just grab a large sheet and throw it over its head. Then you ca blast it to hell with your ak or 12 guage and all it a day. In fact a car going about 20 mph should do it as well. At least they are not flying yet, that's when things go downhill. Its nothing more than a castrated and less intelligent R2D2 at this point, however, this IS only the beginning. There are already robots that exist like the ones in the movies Elysium, they just at this point still have to remain attached to harnesses for their power supply and hydraulics'. Once that problem is solved within the next decade, its on. There will be bots hauling ass and chasing down purse snatchers, drug dealers, and burglars, oh my

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

the Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that 38,800 new positions will be added between 2012 and 2022, employment growth for patrol officers will reach only 5.9 percent, which is much slower than the average for all occupations.

Link

They don't need benefits, they don't have feeling to get hurt, and they're disposable. What happens when they become 7ft tall? The military will have to impose a draft from the NBA.

edit on 20-11-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Vdogg
How is this cheaper than installing security camaras? I know it moves around, rather than staying in one place like most camaras, and acts as a visual deterrent, but does the math really justify the expenses?

How is this better than just having a security guard roam around? Is it really cheaper? I doubt it's as effective as a person. And I think security generally watch several non-mobile camaras, as opposed to roaming around. Why's roaming so important? Isn't it about keeping watch on specific locations, as opposed to keeping watch on the entire premises, to cutdown on response time and cost?

If I were a security guard, I'd start worrying about the future outlook of my field of work. These "robots" won't stop advancing. Yet neither do people stop learning and employing new tools.
edit on 20-11-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
They need to ensure this thing has obamacare or it needs to receive its yearly fine too.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite
You're looking at it the wrong way. It's not cheaper than a security camera, but it's way cheaper than a person. Companies don't buy these things, they rent them for $6.25 an hour. There's no medical or retirement to worry about either. It's a force multiplier, allowing one guard to do the work of 10. So now you have the recording capabilities of a camera combined with the patrol and deterrence capabilities of a person. It's a win win.

top topics

join