It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Survivor" foods that may kill you

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
There was at least two or maybe three times I drank from the springs around here. I had to clear some debris from the opening of one of the springs and that made me wonder if I could get something. I never got ill and this was many years ago, but who knows if I'm harboring a parasite from doing that.

As far as eating wild foods and bush meat, you really have to know your stuff. What to eat, how to eat it, when to harvest for eating, what to avoid eating or drinking and on and on. This type of knowledge comes from years of living in an area and knowing the plants and animals really well. Knowing what the locals eat and how they eat it is helpful information that takes living in an area long enough to find out.

I would never take any TV show's advice on edible plants without researching it and being certain it is edible. Finding out what is safe from a local expert is a far better bet then some survivor guy on TV.
edit on 21-11-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Dont be eating no Slugs...
Man's Brain infected by eating slugs
edit on 21-11-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
There was at least two or maybe three times I drank from the springs around here. I had to clear some debris from the opening of one of the springs and that made me wonder if I could get something. I never got ill and this was many years ago, but who knows if I'm harboring a parasite from doing that.

As far as eating wild foods and bush meat, you really have to know your stuff. What to eat, how to eat it, when to harvest for eating, what to avoid eating or drinking and on and on. This type of knowledge comes from years of living in an area and knowing the plants and animals really well. Knowing what the locals eat and how they eat it is helpful information that takes living in an area long enough to find out.

I would never take any TV show's advice on edible plants without researching it and being certain it is edible. Finding out what is safe from a local expert is a far better bet then some survivor guy on TV.

Yes, even the clear mountain waters can cause major problems. I got giardia once from a mountain stream--great way to lose a quick 20 pounds---and giardia is pretty mild compared to most parasites. Raccoons, coyotes and wolves, bears, rats--they all have parasites in their droppings that if ingested by man can be devastating and sometimes fatal.
edit on 10/06/2013 by Tusks because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Tusks

Anytime I am tempted to drink fresh spring water, I think to myself: "Does a bear # in the woods?"

I'm thankful I have (relatively) safe water from my own tap. Though, it IS Tokyo water. Maybe if I drink enough of it I'll get Hulk-like superpowers.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sunwolf

originally posted by: butcherguy
Those that think MREs are bad....
Have you ever eaten C-rats?

Now there's something bad.

Ham and Lima Beans!

Also known as 'Ham and Motherf#@kers'.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Tusks

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I was thinking about after the first swallow. However, the springs I'm talking about come out of cliff sides or hills, right out of the ground. One of them had a pipe people used to use to get spring water from and I could tell that there was an old well way up the hill, probably the original one. There are many of these ice cold springs and underground rivers around here. So unless the critters are digging latrines, there shouldn't be any doody in the water.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Spring water at the source can't be beat. Wish I had a good spring around close. Am lucky to have some clear mountain streams on two sides of my woods. A decent filter gets all the bad stuff out.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
May be especially food that led to the death.
Daily use of food should be safe

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tusks
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Spring water at the source can't be beat. Wish I had a good spring around close. Am lucky to have some clear mountain streams on two sides of my woods. A decent filter gets all the bad stuff out.

I used to drink from this well until one day i found the spring fenced off,
It's now a private company supplying what was once free.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Here Here haha

originally posted by: stormbringer1701

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
a reply to: Neocrusader

In my experience I think I'd rather have the poisonous plants than the MREs.
your experience is either incorrect or you ate a circa 1980's dehydrated pork or potato patty. more modern MREs are delicious.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Sorry to hear that about your spring. Although common around here apparently, I found one of the springs on an old map that indicated a "flowing well" on federal property. The others were around the big river, pouring down from the cliffs. One fairly large stream comes out at the bottom of a cliff and empties out to the river, that one is on a power company property on river easement. Things are developing around here slowly but surely, I was just here a little earlier on, however, I think the people are waking up to environmental issues and will preserve what they can.

Just to give you an idea of how wet it is here, not too far from the controversial Ice Mountain wells that people are worried about actually, I can dig two feet down right now and have flowing water. One inch of rain fills the swamp here, but much of that surfaces from an under ground river with some surface water flowing through a small intermittent stream. Quicksand (sand suspended in a flowing spring) is actually something to worry about in the swamps around here.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
so are pervatives actually good for an apocolypse?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Did Survivor recommend eating the wrong plants? Did Survivor recommend eating raw animals?

Nope. And I doubt one would find the same plants in their surroundings as the exotic locales on the show (Borneo, Philippines, Africa, Australia, etc.)

Nope, They cooked the rats. They cook pretty much everything. After all, they need the fire to boil water all the time anyhow.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join