It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grammar Nazis - Get knotted! Cheap shots ahoy!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Bad grammar, spelling errors, typo's, etc. don't bother me at all.
With ONE exception:

It really irks me when I see articles written by professional
writers, columnists, and journalists published in newspapers (online and hard copy)
riddled with errors.
A typo, I can understand. However, grammatical errors, improper punctuation, improper
word usage, run on sentences, etc. should not get past a proof reader. Do things even
get proofread anymore?

I make a ton of mistakes when writing, but I'm not a professional writer.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Although I'd probably fall under the definition of a grammar nazi, I generally avoid making remarks about an individual's grammar or spelling in response to a post. I do, however, when quoting their remarks, suffer from very strong compulsions to correct all of their spelling errors. I do not do that because that would be modifying what they actually wrote and that's not cool. Even if it is meant to be helpful and help remove the misspellings so that the idea that they are presenting is seen and not the errors, it's still not cool overall. The ends doesn't justify the means.

I will say that, depending on how bad it all is, it does affect my view of the individual's argument sometimes. Though I generally have no problems with doing this as the idea or argument being presented is the most important point, I still have issues in extreme cases where it takes a lot of effort to not judge someone's idea based on these little tidbits of content.

Overall, I do my best. I am very compulsive on spelling and grammar errors. I used to hand back the notes my friends gave me in school filled with corrections. I don't do that in a debate and it is a pure act of will. No kidding on the compulsive part. I am OCD.

Now to go wash my hands or something.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Eats shoots and leaves. Eats, shoots, and leaves. Eats shoots, and leaves. All the same words, 3 different meanings. Commas make the difference. One of the amazing things about life is that you can learn things AFTER you've left school, especially if it can help you in important ways such as communicating better. Stop learning and you've stopped growing. Yes, I understand grammar can be a pain. I am also pained to see the really crappy spelling in here considering the advent of Spellcheck, which is pretty much everywhere these days. But this is a forum for ideas and information exchanges. Spelling and grammar enable better communication and understanding. The Second Amendment has a comma in it that has caused much grief over private ownership of guns and the right to own them. Loopholes in laws enable the crooks on Wall Street, in Corporations, and our own political hacks to enrich themselves by cheating the American Taxpayer without being held accountable. Wording of laws and contracts is crucial. Grammar and spelling and punctuation IS important.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka Not everyone is English here. But i certainly can figure out some vocabulary.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: jaxnmarko

To be fair, Lynn Truss is responsible for lots of people taking the high ground over grammar. Within context though I could understand if the panda was eating shoots, eating then shooting or eating shoots and leaving. I remember a few people reading that book then taking the high ground afterwards - people who wouldn't usually take this type of high ground but they jumped on the bandwagon.

As always there's people who agree and people who don't. I agree with all you've said. I feel it's society's pressures on public which force them to stop learning and gravitate towards material existence.

That's how all my posts go though - I blame society for everything.

Time for me to shoot like a panda and leave.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
....So if they're "grammer Nazis", what are the rest called, "grammer Jews"...?

2nd

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join