It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

QUESTION to ALL Atheists!

page: 22
<< 19  20  21   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

You're going to crush the guy!

Especially since I'm not sure he is open to constructive criticism.

At least from those of us who have called him out on certain things.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

you can't have something from nothing. EVERYTHING needs a creator.

Your argument:

Premise 1: Can't have something from nothing.
Premise 2: Everything needs a creator.

You can't have something from nothing, therefore everything needs a creator.

First premise 1 doesn't imply premise 2. How do you know that just because something can't come from nothing something can't have always been?

this whole "god is infinite, and doesn't need a creator" routine, is just denial-induced lazy thinking, that allows you to justify your beliefs, while staving off full-on cognitive dissonance... you don't know for sure that such a being exists, you certainly don't know how such a being would have come into existence, so you guess, and make stuff up, to justify blind belief in something you have absolutely no reason to believe in.

I am the one experiencing cognitive dissonance? By this quote I would say your the one who is upset. Second my argument hasn't been that God is infinite, but that God is eternal. Infinity is a number and Eternity is timelessness .

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

How do you know that just because something can't come from nothing...

I would ask: how do you know it can't?

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

As christians use the bible selectively and conveniently overlook its contradictions an atheist does have an objective basis for calling jehovah evil.

Some christians may use the bible selectively. I however do not. There are no contradictions. No I am not going to waste my time completely going through them all with you. If you want to pick a 3 I will explain why you haven't been scholarly in your interpretation. Second what objective basis do you have for calling Jehovah Evil? Just saying you have one does you no good.

Or are we to revert to the dark ages where the bible is only to be read and interpreted by Pope ServantOFTheLamb? Are we here to lap up your interpretation?

It has nothing to do with my interpretation.

Interpretation is defined as the action of explaining the meaning of something. There is only one meaning. The explanation can be flawed, but there is only one true meaning. Proper attention to many aspects of a text can ensure an accurate interpretation.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I would ask: how do you know it can't?

I agree something can't come from nothing, but just because something can't come from nothing doesn't mean there isn't a something that always was.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Second what objective basis do you have for calling Jehovah Evil?

There is no such thing as objective morality. The character from the biblical stories that is called Jehovah is detrimental to human well being. So, from a human stand point, he is evil. He may be a fine upstanding guy in his own field, among his peers, but I doubt it. I seem to remember some kind of rebellion, where he lost 1/3 of his dominion.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Sure. But tell me — why can't something come from nothing?

It seems intuitively obvious, but modern physics tells us our intuitions concerning the fundamental nature of the universe are not very reliable.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

the existence of an infinite being is not only unprovable(convenient for religious dogma), but completely improbable.

and with your second statement, you demonstrate a stunning ignorance of not only the english language, but also of science...

infinity is not a number, it is an abstract concept, that describes something without limit....hell, look at the language of it

in-finite.....in, meaning "without"...it is not finite, meaning it has no limit...

top topics

<< 19  20  21   >>

join