It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the polar ice cap moving our way?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord
Gales of November?
The legend lives on...

edit on 11/20/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
but I would like to see how you guys handle a summer in the south...115 plus for weeks on end.

I love it. I miss it.

The dry heat of the desert here in Phoenix is hard to explain until you experience it.

Yes, it can take a toll, but it's not the temperatures alone that will do it, it's how the sun heats you up.

Tequila helps.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I don't ever remember anything this serious in November.

The Blizzard of 1977 was bad, but there wasn't much if any actual snow from the sky/clouds. It was an early and cold winter, and the entire lake froze by December. Then a few 2-4 inch, 3-5 inch calm snow falls eventually put 2 feet of snow on the frozen lake.

Then came the wind. A wind storm (without many actual clouds) swept all that snow off the lake, and into Buffalo. That was more wide-spread across the region. This 2014 storm is more south of the city.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Gordon Lightfoot reference.

This is a phrase (also referred to as “Witch of November”) used by Great Lakes sailors to refer to the peak storm season, which usually occurs in November. Storms during this timeframe can be brutal, but also are marked by rapidly changing weather conditions, which can make it difficult to navigate the waters.

genius.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
a reply to: randyvs

I used to live in Buffalo. In fact, in the very area walloped by this killer-storm. And, in fact, long ago, once woke up to snow covering our first-floor windows (storm no where near as bad as this one.)

What you're seeing is the most fierce lake effect snow storm in anyone's memory or recorded weather.

Lake Erie had no ice coverage. Intense cold-winds wiped across that long-narrow lake, picking up moisture/snow, and dumping it south of Buffalo. This was more intense than ever before because the air was really cold, and the lake was well-over freezing temps.

If not for the lake, there would have been 2-4 inches of snow.

BINGO! Tell 'em from a Rochesterian (now happily ensconced in southern Oregon!)

I saw a lot of years with lake effect snow like this; I can remember walking on top of the chain link fences because there was so much snow on top of them that you didn't even sink in far enough to touch them.

Waking up in the morning wondering why it's so quiet out side and you can't see out your first floor windows. So you go up to the second floor, open up a window, slide out on the drifts that are covering the first floor eaves and start digging. It takes better part of several days to find your car if it was parked outside, and a full week before they get the secondary roads cleared. If you're lucky the power stays on but you're prepared if it doesn't cuz this has happened before.

The lake being so warm still and the air being so cold is the perfect conditions for heavy snow effects; and no, they don't have to worry about the roofs caving in, they're built for this kind of snow load although a lot of the houses that don't have well insulated attics may have heavy icicle buildup. Those have been known to kill people if you walk under them at the wrong time.

People sometimes wonder why housing is so much cheaper in these areas than anywhere else in the country. It's because of this, and the heating bills add another $2-5K easy to your housing costs depending on how much of your house you want to heat and if it's been well insulated. And oh, the other fun thing? Is the basement floods once that all starts melting, especially if the power to the sump pump is out.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I feel for my people to the north, that is some brutal cold, but I would like to see how you guys handle a summer in the south...115 plus for weeks on end.
If you have to work outside, your brains are simmering in its own juices if you don't take measures to keep your core cooled.

I'm from Duluth MN, was stationed in Minot ND, and been to the sand box 3 times. I can relate to extreme temp changes.... from 68 below with windchill to 128 above, and everything in between

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   

The North Pole is heading to Siberia. The polar ice cap is.... disappearing. The Polar Express is alive and well! Yesterday, there were places in ALL 50 states below freezing. Its been cold earlier on for us here in Wyoming.... Casper reached 43 below, we had 22 below. January weather in November. Grrrrr and Brrrrr!

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   

The Witch of November in the song by Lightfoot featured wind and freezing rain. One of my all time favorite songs.

The dawn came late and the breakfast had to wait
When the gales of November came slashin'
When afternoon came, it was freezin' rain
In the face of a hurricane west wind

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: [post=18681216]SkepticOverlord

Please, no discussion of personal use....unless you share (I remember that great picture of your tequila stash, or was it scotch. Something like that).
edit on 20-11-2014 by Aleister because: edit to fix quote, to lighten the load, and to give a helping hand to a weary humanity

edit on 20-11-2014 by Aleister because: May have gotten the topic of the photo wrong, something like that

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Damn Buffalo good luck to you all, as always digging out is going to be crazy! I live in Northeastern New York about as northeast as you can get without going into Canada or Vermont. We got a dusting of snow from this storm, the wind was ridiculous. Wind chill factor is harsh, last year we had 3 mini ice storms so we had a layer of snow, then a layer of ice and then snow on top of that then ice again. Took a while to chop through, we didn't see the surface of our driveway for a while. Actually we are on the western side of Lake Champlain to the East is Burlington, VT and they always get hammered by lake affect snow storms. The Adirondack mountains really plays into the weather system and pushes storms towards the south and lately the Lake George, Glens Falls area has been getting hammered with a lot of precipitation, we shall see what this year brings. Amazing how geography plays with the weather, the first snow here is always beautiful. It is freakin' cold 25 degrees right now and will warm to a balmy 34 degrees today. Thanks for sharing the pics, I would totally not live anywhere near the Great Lakes in the winter.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Just for one winter, i wish the winds would switch west and do a great snowfall like that to lower wisconsin...I am so jealous

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Those in the southern hemisphere might tell you different.

Nah...mild summer so far...even heaps of rain.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I was one shift of the wind away from being buried. It is a weird feeling to be less than a mile away from the action, snow pouring down in a wall on one side in view and sunshine the other direction. Literally a wall of snow falling. Epic storm and some epic pictures and video out there. Go to www.wgrz.com for reports and videos / pictures...

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
the lake effect that caused this particular snowfall:

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

If not for the lake, there would have been 2-4 inches of snow.

Excellent! I've always been in wonder as to why, Buffalo seems to get so
singled out at times. As a very long time resident of So. Cal. I remember
a football game between the Bills and Rams, back when OJ was playing.
I remember barely being able to see the televised game at times, do to
the flurries of snow. Never seen anything like that before or since. Not
in Minnesota or Green bay.

edit on Ram112014v51201400000053 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Dumbass

That video is full of effect. I get it now. Thank you everyone for your
interest and awesome replies. Stay safe and warm Buffalo and as always,
ATS rocks.

edit on Ram112014v49201400000036 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

And it's only November.... Whoa

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   

A sad state of affairs....

I'm in the Alaska Interior, no snow, none. Rain and 55 degrees and partly cloudy. In 30+ years of living here I have never witnessed such a absence of cold weather an snow.

I believe that I will be moving to Buffalo, is there mountains and a snowboard park?

Sooooooooooooo jealous!!!

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Can you please outline the good reason for such?
I would love to hear your scientific basis for this claim reply to: randyvs

edit on 21-11-2014 by Colbomoose because: typo

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: AK907ICECOLD

A sad state of affairs....

I'm in the Alaska Interior, no snow, none. Rain and 55 degrees and partly cloudy. In 30+ years of living here I have never witnessed such a absence of cold weather an snow.

I believe that I will be moving to Buffalo, is there mountains and a snowboard park?

Sooooooooooooo jealous!!!

alaskan ridge = cold east coast. Especially with the Greenland high pressure block in place. The cold arctic air has nowhere else to go.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join