It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Anyone else have debit cards recalled from Home Depot hack? Advice?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:18 PM
Went to buy groceries after transferring a couple thousand from savings to my checking account. Card declined. Tried the ATM, can't remember what it said but essentially card not valid.

End up calling the number on the card and apparently my old debit card was part of the hack that occurred "last month".

My bank is incredibly good at being on top of things, so I was a little surprised this was the first I was hearing (I need to start actually opening my statements and mail from them).

I try to stay safe with my card. I don't usually keep more than $5k in checking, and just transfer funds from a savings account that has no cards or checks. I know the bank will reimburse for fraudulent charges, but I would rather keep the bulk of my liquid assets out of checking because who knows how long it would take for that reimbursement.

So my questions (keep in mind I'm talking worst case scenario and doubt this is anything more than a precaution):

-What am I supposed to do now? They reissued me a card but is that good enough?

-How do I make absolutely sure no money was used from this account? I'm going to get 3 months of statements and pour over my purchases. Anything else I should do? I'll be honest, I am horrible about tracking purchases. That changes as of today.

-How safe is it just being issued a new card? Is my account still accessible in any other way?

-How much information could have been gleaned? Would my SS number be in Home Depot's system or somehow tied to the card information?

-Should I take advantage of Home Depot's offer to have my credit and financial info monitored for a year for free? Should I just go ahead and go with another company and pay for it?

-Why is the sky blue?

-Any other advice?

Also want to commend my bank on a few things. When I called the number on the back of the card I got a real person (I didn't even have to push a button!) within 20 seconds. I explained the situation and asked if there was any way to reactivate my card so I could pay for my groceries. She asked what I guessed the total was going to be, and told me that she would turn the card back on for 15 minutes so I could go back in and pay and actively monitor the account to make sure the transaction went through. This took 3 minutes on the phone, I just checked, I was spot on.

Went back in and they were just about to start putting my groceries back (I have a feeling most people don't come back). Anyway, transaction went through no problem. 10 minutes later the fraud department called to verify that I had used this card.

Love banking with a smaller local bank. The two locations I use most know me by name when I call (one just by my voice), and the tellers always remember our last conversation and ask about specific things. It's a very different experience than going to one of the larger banks. As far as I can tell it doesn't cost any more either. If it does it's probably $5 or something more a month. Worth it.

Pardon my bank shilling. Any advice greatly appreciated. I'm going to follow up with the bank as well, I'm sure they have some good advice.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:28 PM
I have a close friend it happened to. Man, he was pissed. They WOULDN'T give him another card. Ironically, my credit union cancelled my card around the same time too without notifying me I owed $2 on my checking account. They cashed out my $5 in savings and applied it and sent me a check for the rest...

Banks are getting ruthless and cutthroat against all but corporate money...
edit on 19-11-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:34 PM
I had my credit card compromised from an unknown source about six months back.
Called them up and had them cancel the card, send a new one.

After a few days I called and they had screwed it up- they sent a new one right out after that...

When the depot breach was announced, I knew they'd cancel my card- so I wasn't surprised when it was declined one day. Granted, it happened on a long weekend when was out celebrating a wedding- so I wound up borrowing a whole lot of money from people, which I hate.
What I was surprised to find is that it wasnt canceled- it was maxed out.

My card was maxed out with over $1700 charges from various online shops and a bunch of $50 charges at a walmart some 2,000 miles from here.

When I called them up- they said all of these charges were on the OLD number- the one I had canceled back in april. They managed to screw up and not actually cancel it, somehow.

I've since closed my account with that evil corporation and opened another account with another evil corporation- likely owned by the same people...

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:35 PM
My card was also used for purchases I did not make and was around the time that the Home Depot breach came out. Not sure if it was tied to it but I was quick enough to stop any charges from going thru...only because I tried to use my card like you and was declined. I was right after payday so I knew I had money...checked my account and found several charges I didn't make. One must have been in process as I called because it disappeared before I was able to log in from one computer to the next...a big electronics retailer and the other charges were made at ticket sales outlet. No money was ever lost simply because I was in time but the banks are very good at reimbursement and shouldnt take longer than 7 days.

Look over your statements to watch for any charges you didn't make and report them. Your SS number is only tied to your account number and not your card so don't worry about it. As for Credit Monitoring, should take advantage of it and keep it for ever in this day and age. Once a new card is issued there is no way someone can use the old one to gain access to your account and the fraud people will watch and especially any large charges or out of state stuff will be flagged so you will be fine.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:47 PM
a reply to: DJMSN

I'm loath to admit this, but there is a good chance I wouldn't spot $1k going missing in one month. That has changed. I was actually complaining a month or two ago that I thought my checking account got dry too fast. Poured over receipts. Didn't find anything, but I was just looking for big purchases. I need to go back and really dig in. I'll be using a calculator and double checking, not just looking for $300+ purchases.

Going to start actually tracking my purchases. Until now I've been strangely good at keeping a running tally in my head. Well I suppose not that good considering. I would think I made a mistake about something if my account was $1-2k short. From now on I'm going to tally everything and be sure. Embarrassing.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:58 PM

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: DJMSN

I'm loath to admit this, but there is a good chance I wouldn't spot $1k going missing in one month.

I didn't say that in my post- glad to hear I'm not the only one. So much cash flow in my life between mid-summer and end of year, its easy to misplace huge sums of money. My card is set to auto-pay, and I didn't investigate until it was maxed out- as my typical monthly spending is less than half that cards maximum.

Some of the fraud charges I flagged when I finally looked into it were almost 90 days old- which means they were charged and paid for.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:20 PM
a reply to: Domo1
Advice #1 is don't use a debit card. Don't even carry one. Have your bank/CU issue you an ATM card, and use that for cash. For actual purchases, use a credit card. Not only does this protect you from the obvious hassle of thieves stealing your money, but credit cards also have much stronger legal protections.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:33 PM

originally posted by: FurvusRexCaeli
Advice #1 is don't use a debit card. Don't even carry one. Have your bank/CU issue you an ATM card, and use that for cash. For actual purchases, use a credit card. Not only does this protect you from the obvious hassle of thieves stealing your money, but credit cards also have much stronger legal protections.

Had my debit card hacked during that Target fiasco last year...i wouldn't worry about it the bank will make good on any fraudulent charges.

As for using your credit card instead of using a debit card for everyday purchases - i heard that credit card companies look at what people are buying say groceries on a credit card & may lower your credit limit cause it may indicate you are in financial trouble. That's what i heard anyway.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:11 PM

There's this new thing called the "internet." Using the "internet" you can see on a daily basis charges against your credit cards and bank accounts.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:13 PM
a reply to: BABYBULL24

i heard that credit card companies look at what people are buying say groceries

I buy all my groceries and pay most of my bills on my single credit card. My limit has not dropped, my interest rate has not risen (not that it matters, I pay the balance each month), and my credit rating is very good (because I pay the balance each month).

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:44 PM
a reply to: [post=18681129]Phage[/po]

Learned my lesson. I suppose I'll get the app and sign up for online banking. Very aware my being unaware is my own fault.

Don't you have GMOs to shill?
Apparently farmers are being sued left and right by nobody and it's an outrage!

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 12:14 AM
I had my Wells Fargo CC replaced, they called and left a message that they were sending a new card and the old one would be canceled in two weeks. Called them back and they confirmed it was because of the Home Depot hack.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 12:16 AM
Yeah, Citibank, bless their little hearts, sent me a new card on the possibility that I had been compromised. And called until I killed off my old card and activated the new one.

I went back and checked, no problems.

However, one of the guys I work with was not so lucky, and ended up with a number of new accounts opened up, many items purchased and the like. He killed off all the cards but he's still untangling the mess.

I did have one card I don't use much (and actually, never at Home Depot, I don't shop at Target) that suddenly started getting little probe transactions, 10 cents here, 20 there, from some place I'd never heard of, the card company called me and asked what that was, I told them I wasn't sure, and we did a prophylactic cardectomy on that one, too.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 02:11 AM
A few years ago, I had over 4K debited from my checking account that I didn't make. Those debits occurred in a matter of 1 minute at 1k each from a foreign country. My bank let 4 of them go through before they put a hold on my card. ;( It was right at Christmas time, and it took over 30 days for the bank to refund my money.

I learned a lesson from that. I keep the bare minimum in my checking account now. I've told the bank not to allow any
debits from foreign countries, unless I notify them.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 02:36 AM

Not a bad thing to be able to admit to...wish I could admit something like that. Phage kinda nailed it, get on line banking, I am lucky as my bank has a great online presence with good security, sometimes a little bit to good and it angers me having to log in multiple times. I would subscribe to one of the monitoring agencies simply because of the internet today, very easy nowadays to use somebody's card online and never have to leave home or show ID.

The charges on mine were made in three different regions of the country all in less than 2 days, Dallas, North Carolina, and somewhere up north east coast region. I was a little disturbed the bank not catching it first as I was using the card at the same time and I live in Hawaii, kinda hard although technically possible to travel to all from here in that time frame but the internet does make it a probability.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 08:37 AM
My boyfriend's bank sent him a letter, letting him know about the hack, cancelled his old card before it was compromised and sent him another card. No foul. And it is a small hometown bank. But this is the second time this has happened. And we both are a lot more careful about where we use our cards.a reply to: Domo1

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:24 PM
What is it going to take for people to realize no form of electronic money or banking is secure and YOU (as a person who exists in the monetary world) can be cancelled without so much as a by your leave?

Not that actual physical fiat currency is much better, but how many big name stores and banks need to be hacked before the whole system goes kablooey?

If it were me and I was being forced to have my paycheck direct deposited into some evil corporation's coffers before I could even hold the GD paycheck in my hot little hands, I'd be there 10 seconds later demanding they give it to me in cash and then turning as much of that cash that I didn't need for living necessities into precious metals or other goods with long term barter potential as fast as possible. Paying cash is also the only way to eliminate having your movements and buying habits traceable. Demand an actual physical paycheck from your employer if at all possible. The 'direct deposit' thing is a scam, lets them skate the money that much longer and every hour and every penny turns into billions...

Last year I helped a handicapped woman out who lived next door to me, she gave me a check for my time and I drove over 20 miles away to cash it at her exact bank and branch. THEY CHARGED ME $6 TO CASH A $150 CHECK MADE OUT TO THEIR OWN BANK, ON AN ACCOUNT THEY HAD ON RECORD... Told me if I wanted to eliminate the $6 cashing fee, I could open up an account (in other words, leave the check/money with them...).

I didn't think it was worth making a loud fuss about because that would have gotten my ass arrested, but what really is it going to take for people to realize having anything to do with any bank whatsoever is a disaster/ripoff/thievery waiting to happen?

When does Cyprus happen here? When is the 'bailout' going to be seen for the biggest highway robbery gambit ever, dreamed up by the Bush Crime Family?

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 04:35 PM
It was a bad hack. They got emails associated if you gave it as well as account info. You are eligible for free credit monitoring paid for by HD, I believe. You can also contact the big 3 credit agencies and put a fraud alert on your stuff. That way transactions over a certain amount or out of your area and new accounts in your name etc...will send up a red flag to contact you.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 06:06 PM
I got a new card as a result. I also had a Home depot card. Got new cards from both banks. My bank was very diligent about it. It got an email telling me I was getting one and that my old card would be cut off in 10 days. I got phone calls, emails as a reminder, etc. When I got it, I got instructions on how to activate.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 06:25 PM

I was actually complaining a month or two ago that I thought my checking account got dry too fast. Poured over receipts. Didn't find anything, but I was just looking for big purchases.

Once you get your online banking set up, you'll be able to go back to that time period and see exactly everything that went in and out of your account(s) right away... showing you the date, the amount, and whether it was a debit purchase or cash withdrawal, and so on.

It's one of the many benefits of online banking... not to mention being able to pay bills, transfer funds between accounts, etc etc, whilst sitting in your jammies slurping on a cup of joe.
edit on 20-11-2014 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>