It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian propaganda

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I have grown tired of Propaganda over the years. The recent major player in the propaganda wars over public opinion is Russia with its need to engage in state sponsored lies to justify its invasion of the Ukraine. I take issue with any propaganda machine from Israels paying of students in College to spread pro Israeli crap to Bolivia's class war misinformation by thieves.

Russia is engaged in a hostile act of aggression against a sovereign nation and we need to be ready to meet their version of official internet shills. IMO most are nationalistic Russian expats who identify with Russia no matter the gore and war.

Russia doesnt exactly have a history of transparency but its recent actions regarding the press internally and more alarmingly, its stance against international journalism is just shameful.

There are PLENTY of Russian shills. I dont like them anymore than my home breed of them. I think we should be aware of them before we drink up any Russian cool aid.

Countering Russian Propaganda Abroad

Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has highlighted a Russian foreign policy approach that integrates raw military strength with a myriad of soft power tools to pressure adversaries. A key element of Russian soft power is the use of state-sponsored media to influence foreign audiences. Russian propaganda, often masquerading as legitimate news, is disseminated through state-controlled media to confuse, obscure, and shift the debate about Putin and to legitimize Russian aggression abroad.

Russia has used propaganda to shape the battlefield and public opinion in Western democracies. American policymakers and the public should be aware of the pernicious effects of Russian propaganda and take steps to counter its impact.
Press Freedom Under Attack

In 2014, Freedom House’s Press Freedom Survey ranked Russia “Not Free,” saying the media environment “is characterized by the use of a pliant judiciary to prosecute independent journalists, impunity for the physical harassment and murder of journalists, and continued state control or influence over almost all traditional media outlets.”[1] Reporters Without Borders’ World Press Freedom Survey similarly documented Russia’s assault on press freedom.[2]

In September, the Russian Duma passed a law[3] restricting foreign ownership of media companies to 20 percent. The law effectively forces foreign owners to relinquish control over independent outlets, further consolidating the government’s control over the media. While most Russians rely on television for their news,[4] younger Russians rely more on the Internet.[5] In response, Russia enacted a “bloggers law,” which forces most bloggers to register with the government and imposes onerous requirements on social media sites and search engines. *ME- WHAT?!?!?![6]
Russian Media Abroad

Insulated from criticism in the Russian press, Putin has faced condemnation abroad, especially over the invasions of Georgia and Ukraine.
Therefore, Putin has sought to export favorable coverage, obscure objective truths, and sap the resolve of Western publics to counter Russian aggression. Russia’s 2013 foreign policy concept clearly outlines the important role that Russia’s leadership expects the media to play in foreign affairs:

Russia will seek to ensure its objective perception in the world, develop its own effective means of information influence on public opinion abroad, strengthen the role of Russian mass media in the international information environment providing them with essential state support, as well as actively participate in international information cooperation, and take necessary measures to counteract information threats to its sovereignty and security.
www.heritage.org...

edit on 11 19 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

of course we don't take what they say with a Grain of salt .

it's really up to us to not step in the BS .

look what i am saying is that even though Russia is producing "propaganda" the only thing that separates them from the rest is that they report on Issues the MSM won't touch . and i like RT for that reason.

how many places can we really go these days to find clean reporting ? Not many really , i know of a place where we can post information and as a community sift through the BS and find truth .

AboveTopSecret.com

i mean how do we know the source of your link is not propaganda ?

Founded in 1973, The Heritage Foundation is a research and educational institution—a think tank—whose mission is to formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense.

We believe the principles and ideas of the American Founding are worth conserving and renewing. As policy entrepreneurs, we believe the most effective solutions are consistent with those ideas and principles. Our vision is to build an America where freedom, opportunity, prosperity, and civil society flourish.

Heritage’s staff pursues this mission by performing timely, accurate research on key policy issues and effectively marketing these findings to our primary audiences: members of Congress, key congressional staff members, policymakers in the executive branch, the nation’s news media, and the academic and policy communities.

Governed by an independent Board of Trustees, The Heritage Foundation is an independent, tax-exempt institution. Heritage relies on the private financial support of the general public—individuals, foundations, and corporations—for its income, and accepts no government funds and performs no contract work. Heritage is one of the nation’s largest public policy research organizations. Its hundreds of thousands of individual members make it the most broadly supported think tank in America.

privately Funded think tank ? think takes scare me .... just saying

it's up to us to do the homework sir to find truth , it has been this way and will continue to be this way ,sadly .

don't be afraid to challenge your self and get your hands dirty . I dono about you but i pride my self on finding the truth !

why ? because it sets me free baby!

Walsh
edit on 19-11-2014 by Walsh because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-11-2014 by Walsh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Walsh

Hey I like some stuff they report if its something our "journalists" wont. I am sure Russians like sources where the truth behind their own borders that their own media wont show is exposed. Thats just common sense.

I dont see many people being entirely critical though. If it has a "Down USA" stamp on it they eat that crap up....even if it is coming from a monstrous government as big and vile, if not bigger and more vile than the US government that tries to do things JUST LIKE the US government. But hey, "down with the west for these bad things but long live the east for the same evil things".....?!?

I just dont think that a state controlled media is exactly on point is all. It MAY be full of BS or pushing a skewed sliver of "truth" for all the wrong reasons.

Have a good one.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

Hey I like some stuff they report if its something our "journalists" wont. I am sure Russians like sources where the truth behind their own borders that their own media wont show is exposed. Thats just common sense.

I dont see many people being entirely critical though. If it has a "Down USA" stamp on it they eat that crap up....even if it is coming from a monstrous government as big and vile, if not bigger and more vile than the US government that tries to do things JUST LIKE the US government. But hey, "down with the west for these bad things but long live the east for the same evil things".....?!?

I just dont think that a state controlled media is exactly on point is all. It MAY be full of BS or pushing a skewed sliver of "truth" for all the wrong reasons.

Have a good one.

to be Honest i see it from both sides , each side is pointing the same finger , but what they don't realize is that when they point one finger they have 3 pointing right back at them .

i mean lets face it the US is not exactly on the "do right list " for Christmas ..

the only thing that i see is the US is a bit more reserved and calculated on what it post's towards Russia in the MSM .
however i find that MSM political hosts do not reserve them self's when taking a stance on Russia . but Russia on the other hand does not seem to hold back .

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Hey I agree.

I think you have a balanced POV.

Cheers.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The propaganda you are talking about is it the same as the propaganda that made you say

Russia invaded the Ukraine and started this whole mess.
Thats my point if anyone can negate it.

in another thread.

I spoke about D-Day landings and the invasion of Iraq in my reply because these are what any Russian invasion would look like and to be honest we both know nothing like these invasions has taken place regarding the Ukraine since the 1940's on anything but an X-Box.

Are you sure you are the best person to comment on propaganda because I think you might have some opposition mate.

There are PLENTY of Russian shills. I dont like them anymore than my home breed of them.

Yes I see anyone that goes against anything you say must be a shill right !

edit on 19-11-2014 by VirusGuard because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Well, I can tell you one thing and that is that I trust Russia more than the US right now.

Does that make me a shill or just a concerned resident of planet Earth?

Peace

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Since every nation spreads it's own propaganda and it was not considered dirty till it was used to describe what the Nazis were doing, I cannot judge Russia on this. If I were to judge a nation of propaganda it would be impossible to not give the west the crown. The government is no longer selling it, it's own people are and I suspect they might actually believe it. Tell an average westerner that they are a slave and they and they work 6 months out of the year for no profit... "well at least we don't live in Russia where the KGB with snatch you kids if they look homosexual" is the type of response I image you would get.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: VirusGuard

Yes, as a rational adult with plenty of life experience I am quite qualified to show propaganda and oppose it. I fail to see what my stance on Russia invading the Ukraine, one that most of the world holds mind you, has any bearing here though.

Russia invaded a sovereign country, and is now spewing propaganda which people like yourself eat up.- You have completely ignored the fact in that thread and now here that Russia has INVADED another country and conquered its land to reflect in its new expanded borders.

Here is a question....

ARE YOU the right person to speak to about Russian propaganda since you are such an ardent supporter of acts of aggression by Russia?

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
It is hard to know the truth in anything these days. Unless your a part of what's happening your probably hearing someone's spin on issues rather than the truth. Truth no longer exists.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

I think you are being wishful. What inspires such support? Is it Russia's history of non aggression? No. That doesnt exist. Recent history? No. How about its stance on civil liberties? No.....I hope not actually. I know you are not gay now. Its track record with political opposition and free speech? No. Its leadership that doesnt take from the poor to enrich the rotting rich? No. They are not elitists? No. They are humanitarians....? No....

Could it be because they publish zingers that are damning to the US government? Yeah, probably. They are and have been diametrically opposed to us after all.

BUT, just because you dont like the US government, which I dont as well, you shouldn't blindly support an oppressive and deceitful entity that is not exactly our ally, but rather is openly our enemy...and when I say OUR I mean your people, not your government whom the Russian government shares everything in common with. You are basically supporting the eastern European version of the US government, with less oversight and less international checks and balances..just saying.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

a reply to: VirusGuard
I fail to see what my stance on Russia invading the Ukraine, one that most of the world holds mind you, has any bearing here though.

Since I doubt you had the opportunity in the last year to get opinions from most of 7 billion people, I have to assume you yourself are victim of someone's propaganda.

Russia invaded a sovereign country, and is now spewing propaganda which people like yourself eat up.-

You ate it up and now you are spitting it people.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

Are you saying that most of the world DOES support the military incursion into a sovereign nation? Here I thought I was speaking to the civilized world that does not support acts of aggression....I dont need to ask every person on earth, silly, to get a pulse from our ethos and international laws we ALL agree on...now do I?

If you dont see how that and its invasion of Georgia is wrong then YOU are a victim of propaganda.

If not say it now...."Russia is wrong to invade the Ukraine like it was to use force in Georgia". Say it if you think it. If not you are proving that you just pick what propaganda you support.

EDIT TO ADD:
I will say what you will undoubtedly ask for....I outright disagree with all US invasions, police actions and interventions ....See not hard.

Do it....say Russia is wrong to invade the Ukraine and get some of that self respect back.

EDIT TO ADD:
I didnt think you would. Realizing you are a victim of social programming makes us sensitive and leads us to not think right. We end up in denial....I am not calling you a hypocrite for denouncing the US and its wrongs while praising Russia for the SAME EXACT WRONGS mind you. I just think you are like the rest. A victim of propaganda.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

I fail to see what my stance on Russia invading the Ukraine, one that most of the world holds mind you, has any bearing here though.

OK people he says this thread is not about his dreamed up invasion of the Ukraine after saying

state sponsored lies to justify its invasion of the Ukraine

With respect sir I have to ask if you have been drinking given your reply because it seems to me that you have forgotten what you said yourself.

You will know when Russia carries anything other than what the west has termed an "Aid invasion" to describe 50 white trucks delivering aid to the Ukraine because it will be on the news showing regiments of tanks flying across the Ukraine but if you feel the ground shaking before then its most likely nothing more than you snoring after drinking too much.

D-Day style invasion or even a little invasion it is not............................yet

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
First, Georgia, then Crimea and now The Ukraine.

They can justify it, blame everyone under the sun including bad DNA from their parents but nothing can change that fact.

The only difference between a 'shill' and bias is a pay cheque. Not much difference between them, IMO.

If your labeled a shill by a poster and your aren't one, by all means, defend your amateur status..

(post by tadaman removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

I think you are being wishful. What inspires such support? Is it Russia's history of non aggression? No. That doesnt exist. Recent history? No. How about its stance on civil liberties? No.....I hope not actually. I know you are not gay now. Its track record with political opposition and free speech? No. Its leadership that doesnt take from the poor to enrich the rotting rich? No. They are not elitists? No. They are humanitarians....? No....

Could it be because they publish zingers that are damning to the US government? Yeah, probably. They are and have been diametrically opposed to us after all.

BUT, just because you dont like the US government, which I dont as well, you shouldn't blindly support an oppressive and deceitful entity that is not exactly our ally, but rather is openly our enemy...and when I say OUR I mean your people, not your government whom the Russian government shares everything in common with. You are basically supporting the eastern European version of the US government, with less oversight and less international checks and balances..just saying.

That's a stretch.

I said "I Trust Russia More"

And you come back with my support of them?

And this:

"Could it be because they publish zingers that are damning to the US government? Yeah, probably. They are and have been diametrically opposed to us after all."

You honestly believe that people support Russia over the US because of "zingers"? That is an insult to so many on this board.

People have the ability to see what the US is and Russia as well. Russia has always been what it is. The US has fallen so far from what it was while trying to cover up what it has become that it cannot be trusted whatsoever.

I also believe that the majority of Russians know where they stand as citizens. They know what their Govt. is about. They are aware of what their World is. The average American is still blind as we see every DAY on the MSM and these boards. That's a Difficult situation to trust.

Do I trust Russia? No.

But I trust the US even less.

Peace

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

a reply to: MALBOSIA

Are you saying that most of the world DOES support the military incursion into a sovereign nation? Here I thought I was speaking to the civilized world that does not support acts of aggression....I dont need to ask every person on earth, silly, to get a pulse from our ethos and international laws we ALL agree on...now do I?

If you dont see how that and its invasion of Georgia is wrong then YOU are a victim of propaganda.

If not say it now...."Russia is wrong to invade the Ukraine like it was to use force in Georgia". Say it if you think it. If not you are proving that you just pick what propaganda you support.

EDIT TO ADD:
I will say what you will undoubtedly ask for....I outright disagree with all US invasions, police actions and interventions ....See not hard.

Do it....say Russia is wrong to invade the Ukraine and get some of that self respect back.

EDIT TO ADD:
I didnt think you would. Realizing you are a victim of social programming makes us sensitive and leads us to not think right. We end up in denial....I am not calling you a hypocrite for denouncing the US and its wrongs while praising Russia for the SAME EXACT WRONGS mind you. I just think you are like the rest. A victim of propaganda.

The current government in Ukraine is wrong for ousting a democratically elected leader a year before legitimate elections. Admit what was really behind the Ukraine uprising.

Do I support what Russia did? Sure, why not. The government that was running Ukraine was illegitimate at the time anyhow. They should have thought about keeping their legitimate government in tact and separated from Russia the legal and civilized way.

I don't like Harper, either do my buddies. If Iran gives us enough money, can me and my friends take over Ottawa without election and be considered legitimate? I didn't know that was legal.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

hey more power to you.

I am just saying that your "trust" is about as well placed as it would be in the US government.

I see it the other way around. I trust OUR government more than a foreign government that has always been diametrically opposed to us as a culture, people and nation. I dont see what makes you think they care about you.

So you dont SUPPORT them, but you, um, trust them..more? Ok.

I dont trust them or our government at all. BUT I also dont let my personal feelings of trust for a government blind me to the lies formed in SUPPORT of acts of aggression against peaceful neighbors.

peace.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

First, Georgia, then Crimea and now The Ukraine.

Georgia attacked south Ossetia first and then Russia came in and kicked some arse but don't take my word for who was to blame but instead ask the EU who had to apologise to Russia over who was to blame.

Crimea cost one life and now the people are happy so stop trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes.

Ukraine ?

Unless Russia has stealth men, tanks and bombs that no one can see then Russia has not invaded the Ukraine in the east and you really should read the news because it is the Ukraine army that is killing it own people using tanks to bomb city's

Maybe a cheat code used in an X-Box game could give Russia those types of capabilities but not in real life.

I will be happy if/when Russia invades and comes to the aid people being slaughtered in the east of the Ukraine by its own government but not half as happy as seeing the USA's military bases being closed down in Europe due to public demand.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join