It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the roman spartans god?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
ok in history it's said befor the great war of the spartans and the persians or somthing the spartan lord/king went to see there god for gudience
and in this temple were woman which the god speaks through the woman to the people coming to get gudience or blessing from this god

could anyone provide ore infomation for me

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Uh, why do you have roman in there?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Are you talking about the oracle at Delphi and Alexander the Great?

www.gordiansolutions.com...

[edit on 10-12-2004 by Skibum]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
cool thanks for the link

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Sparta is in greece not italy

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I love the History of the Spartans a very interesting people. The Spartans built no great monuments or buildings, no great art like the fellow country men in Athens.

Their place in history is due to their great feats on the Battle field alone.

lepracornman I dont know if you know this but Sparta always had two kings at the same time.

The Greeks sought the advice of the oracle before The Battle of Thermopylae (The Gates of Fire) The Oracle pronounced that wooden walls wouldnt save Athens, but only the death of a Spartan king would save that unwalled city from ruin.

This turned out to be true as the Spatan King died at Thermopylae but it bought the people of Athens time.

[edit on 11-12-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by lepracornman
ok in history it's said befor the great war of the spartans and the persians or somthing the spartan lord/king went to see there god for gudience
and in this temple were woman which the god speaks through the woman to the people coming to get gudience or blessing from this god

could anyone provide ore infomation for me

The spartans and romans were two different people. The prohpetess you are thinking of is the Oracle of Delphi, the Pythia. She babbled prophetically, and preists recorded and interpreted the babblings. The God Apollo was the one said to speak thru her. Formerly, it was the Goddess Rhea, I beleive.

The Romans, on the other hand, had a divine prophetess called the Sibyl.

LAter on someone mentioned Alexander. Alexander was a Macedonian and was around long after the spartan-athenian war against the persians.

shadow
The Oracle pronounced that wooden walls wouldnt save Athens, but only the death of a Spartan king would save that unwalled city from ruin.

I think you have mistakenly conflated two different prophecies. The Athenians were told that wooden walls would save them from the Persians. The prophecy was fufilled when they were saved and defeated the persians with their wooden fleets.

The Spartans, on the other hand, were told that either oe of their Kings would die -or- the city of Sparta would fall. Of course, the king died.

here, by the way is an interesting compilation of delphic prophecies
psychicinvestigator.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
You are talking about the invasion of the persian emperor Xerxis. King Leonidas went to Delphi to consult the oracle, befor leading the spartans and soldiers from 3 other cities, 7000 all, to Thermopylae ( the hot gates ), where they held the 250,000 persians for 5 days, buying time for the main armies to get together and face the persians later..
I had actualy been there, there are 2 monuments, one of them was put there after the war, and is still in place!

top topics

join