It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mafia Initiation Rites Caught on Camera for the First Time

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
This story from Yahoo News showed up in my feed this morning. Unfortunately there's no video included but here's an excerpt of the text relating directly to the initiation:

The video and audio recordings revealed the swearing in of 'Ndrangheta mobsters to an elite membership known as "Santa".

New members swore allegiance "in the silence of the night and under the light of the stars and splendour of the moon" to "safeguard my wise brothers".

- Bullet with your name on it -

An unnamed boss leading the rite in police videos published on Italian newspaper websites can be heard telling the new Santa that they are now expected to be their own executioners should they stray from the 'Ndrangheta's code.

"From now on it will not be other men who judge you, you will judge yourselves," the man says.

In what he describes as the "oath of poison", he says there are two alternatives open to the disloyal: "Either you poison yourselves or you take this (gun) which shoots. There must always be a bullet reserved; one for you."

Boccassini said the Santa's affiliation "is in their DNA and under their skin and they can leave the 'Ndrangheta either by collaborating with the state or through death".

Here's an excerpt from the 'Ndrangheta's Wikipedia page:

The ‛Ndrangheta (Italian: ‛ndràngheta, Italian pronunciation: [n̩ˈdraŋɡeta])[p] is a Mafia-type criminal organization in Italy, centered in Calabria. Despite not being as famous abroad as the Sicilian Cosa Nostra, and having been considered more rural compared to the Neapolitan Camorra and the Apulian Sacra Corona Unita, the 'Ndrangheta became the most powerful crime syndicate of Italy in the late 1990s and early 2000s. While commonly tied together with the Sicilian Mafia, the 'Ndrangheta operates independently from the Sicilian Mafia, though there is contact between the two, due to the geographical proximity, and shared culture and language of Calabria and Sicily. A US diplomat estimated that the organization's drug trafficking, extortion and money-laundering activities accounted for at least 3 percent of Italy's GDP.[1] Since the 1950s, the organization has spread towards the north of Italy and worldwide. The 'Ndrangheta is currently the most powerful criminal organization in the world with a revenue that stands at around 53 billion Euros annually (72 billion U.S. dollars - 44 billion British pounds).

$72 billion? Holy ...

The name comes from the Greek word andragathía ("heroism"). The organization started out with typical extortion and blackmailing activities but by the 70's began kidnapping wealthy individuals. One of the more prominent kidnappings they're alleged to have been behind is that of oil heir John Paul Getty III in 1973 (then 17), father of actor Balthazar Getty. In the 90's they moved into drug trade with one of their main sources of revenue reportedly being trafficking Columbian coc aine. These days their empire includes numerous large legitimate business holdings.

In June of this year, the 'Ndrangheta were specifically pointed out by Pope Francis as an example of the mobsters who were "excommunicated." From Reuters:

"Those who in their lives follow this path of evil, as mafiosi do, are not in communion with God. They are excommunicated," he said in impromptu comments at a Mass before hundreds of thousands of people in one of Italy's most crime-infested areas.

To sustained applause he told the crowd: "This evil must be fought against, it must be pushed aside. We must say no to it." He branded the local crime group, the 'Ndrangheta, as an example of the "adoration of evil and contempt of the common good" and said the Church would exert its full force in efforts to combat organised crime.

Perhaps not surprisingly, Vatican spokesman Father Ciro Benedettini walked the pontiff's statement back a bit saying that it wasn't a formal excommunication and that it was more of a statement of how the members of the organization had distanced themselves from God through their actions.

Probably a good idea considering the number of people killed in recent decades just from the infighting between factions of the 'Ndrangheta.

EDIT:

Found the video on YouTube:

edit on 2014-11-19 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Title says caught on camera but OP says there's no video.

How anti climatic.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Found it and updated the OP with embedded video from YouTube.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I lived 4 years in Sicily,Palermo and let's say that i'm familiar with their traditions. No mafioso would tell another one "wellcome to the organized crime". There are code words, gestures, many stuff that an outsider/alien won't have a chance to understand.

Something is ...not normal.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
In my heart, I sense the disconnect between loyalty and honor with the modern way society has attempted to sheep herd the newer generations away from those qualities.

I may not understand what this article is trying to say or what it really means to others, but continuity with the past in that surviving generations of people and races could not have happened without solidarity, honor, loyalty and trust among groups of people.

When it is an old group of like minded people it is called a mafia for whatever that is, but in elite/political circles it is called order and law.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Do you really trust that video as anything but a made up thing? A false movie for some strange agenda. I admit I know nothing about any such organizations or groups other than what history has shown us, but this feels all wrong and just made up.

Ok I am out of here as I may not have a clue about how other countries/people live their lives. Just thought the whole loyalty thing is imho honorable and loosing ground in today's society. Honoring our families, treating all women with dignity and respect, old fashioned broad here I guess...

edit on am1130amWed, 19 Nov 2014 11:47:43 -0600 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Awesome, thank you.

I was hoping for more but a glimpse into a life I'll never know is still interesting.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

I was expecting something a bit more extravagant done by candle or torchlight in the middle of the night in some vault somewhere and possibly involving long knives or a sword or something.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

I think maybe part of the problem is that a lot of people have a very romanticized idea of the mafia that comes from watching movies like The Godfather.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
There's apparently a link between Freemasons and the M.A.F.I.A( Mazzini Autorizza Furti, Incendi, Avvelenamenti ) = (Mazzini Authorizes Thefts, Arson, Poisoning.)

Guiseppi Mazzini: Freemason Founder of the Mafia

It doesn't really surprise me that there are an initiation rite, probably similar to Freemasons.

Guiseppi Mazzini was the individual that Albert Pike corresponded with in his letters on Three World Wars that would unite the world under a Luciferian Dictatorship. Like Pike, Mazzini was Illuminati and held the rank of 33 degree Mason. He is also the founder of the MAFIA, which is named after him.

"The committee feels that the link between Cosa Nostra and institutions is mostly through the "Massoneria" (freemasonry):

My 2 cents...

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you on this point.

This appears incredibly genuine. The 3 men in the video are older, the rites themselves seem to be lacking in the theatrics of a typical ritual simply from the standpoint that these 3 guys are probably older and had already been exposed to the operations of the "criminal" organization. What I mean by this is that they wouldn't necessarily need a candlelit walk to a circle in a forest to make this ritual feel any more real than for the organization to just have a stern speaker of similar age conduct the ritual in what appears to be a living room. A result of such quick and impromptu ritual undertakings is that someone undercover or someone from the organization was able to film the actions--this ritual was an attempt to be done quickly and expediently, without the theatrics.

Imagine a 22 year old Italian boy, not seeking employment or betterment of his own life but instead choosing to pickup a gun with the intention of always keeping one bullet in the chamber [mind you this bullet is for his own head should he see necessary] so that he can be a member of an elite clan. The potential for brainwash and manipulation is very real, and the thrill and desire for money and power can be even more real for certain young individuals.

I know it's not the best shock value video because it doesn't have much to it, but i feel like the ritual is very real and indicative of prior oaths these individuals (potentially young) make during their lives.
edit on 19-11-2014 by mmshelt because: (no reason given)

ETA: With the Link by the prior poster in mind, I think there is a certain correlation between the rituals of "Massoneria" and that of the Mafia. During several of the royal degree's of Scottish Rite Freemasonry the rituals must be performed with three members involved. It is in these groups of 3 that you see the physicality of a brotherly oath as you now take on the responsibility of eternal loyalty to these 2 other members of the circle in which you are bonded. I think that in the Mafia you have the ultimate form of this physicality, Theft - Arson - and Murder. Greed - Wrath - Envy.
edit on 19-11-2014 by mmshelt because: Further Additions

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: mmshelt

I was thinking the same thing. It might not look how we might imagine but if I put myself in the place of an initiate, the absence of props is probably rather insignificant given the people present and the oath taken.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Bunch of old fugazi clowns if you ask me....

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: samsamm9
There's apparently a link between Freemasons and the M.A.F.I.A( Mazzini Autorizza Furti, Incendi, Avvelenamenti ) = (Mazzini Authorizes Thefts, Arson, Poisoning.)

Guiseppi Mazzini: Freemason Founder of the Mafia

It doesn't really surprise me that there are an initiation rite, probably similar to Freemasons.

Guiseppi Mazzini was the individual that Albert Pike corresponded with in his letters on Three World Wars that would unite the world under a Luciferian Dictatorship. Like Pike, Mazzini was Illuminati and held the rank of 33 degree Mason. He is also the founder of the MAFIA, which is named after him.

"The committee feels that the link between Cosa Nostra and institutions is mostly through the "Massoneria" (freemasonry):

My 2 cents...

Go to a lodge and represent that little fact of yours

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3u40r15m
Bunch of old fugazi clowns if you ask me....

bunch of cream puffs compared to the thieves in law.....

^^^^i have been fascinated with the vor v zacone

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: 3u40r15m

Are you really trying to tell Samsamm9 that there are no initiation rites associated with Freemasonry?

L. O. L.

What. ?

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: samsamm9

You might do well to look into things a bit before believing them blindly.

Pike Manzini Hoax

And the masons do have initiation ritual, done by candle light and all. It's a beautiful ceremony.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
There's no such thing as the mafia.

It could be that someone witnessed a frat handshake.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

The Mafia was around long before Guiseppe Manzzini.

Does no one bother to double check their facts before posting?

edit on 19-11-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The Mafia was around long before Guiseppe Manzzini.

Does no one bother to double check their facts before posting?

Ok.
Crucify me, I'm not worthy

Notice I used the word Apparently ...
Because I'm not an expert on the subject and it's a discussion.

I might be totally wrong but I'm still pretty sure there's a link between masonry and the MAFIA.
edit on 19-11-2014 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join