It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only religious fundamentalists are not hypocrites. All other believers are faking it!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: AllIsOne

For me its the fundamentalists who have strayed away from their personal choice of a religion and who also want to spread their own personal choice onto others people's right to choose what they believe in. Who dictates today how much of a religion one chooses to observe? Yes its the fundamentalists - the ones who usually tout guns or will seek to destroy another's character if they don't bow to the fundy. Sorry disagree with you fundamentally.

You also say the 'three world religions' yet you leave out Hinduism etc, etc. In fact having been reading the Indian Hinduism holy books has actually taught me considerably more than I ever got from christianity, judaism and islam. These three for me lack explanation about myself they bang on about what gods needs and yet not one of them has credibility because those who started up these religions, actually never met and sat with god - so in fact its all what the priests and wannabe important men without election want followers to believe in order to keep these men, generation after generation in their comfy, busybody lifestyles.

I found it refreshing to think about a religious approach focused on man and how man can reconcile to greater things via his own mind without the nonsense of devils, hell and sin. To think of a human as learning his way through life is far closer to how people live life than any of the threats and nightmares of burning in hell so many of the religiosity try to convince people they can phone god to reign down nasties at will.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Or is it that you want believers to be fundamentalists because fundamentalists make easier targets?

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Why is it atheist are so obsessed with god? It seems to me far more topics are started by atheist on ATS regarding god then the religious.

Many Christian churches seem to be social clubs and self help organizations, some fundamentalist churches preach a doctrine empty of the history behind the Biblical text, taking the scripture at face value, never delving deep enough to fully understand them.

The church and its many denomination have gone through so many changes, many for the best, you wouldn't want them to go backwards, then I have to wonder what's wrong with simplicity, a simple love one another covers everything.

Love, forgiveness, and tolerance, non judgmental.
I'll have to work on that.
www.biblicalarchaeology.org...

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
OH, btw, seems god agrees with you

So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
If the books are the word of God, then there is no need for religious leaders, discussing the texts endlessly in their lavish halls of worship. It's all there for everyone to see, read and follow.

There is no need for interpretation, it's all there in the book, in black and white, get with the programme people!

Oh, and leave the rest of us unbelievers the hell alone. Don't try and convert us, don't try and preach to us, don't try and criticize those following another religion and tell them they are wrong. Just be happy in your religious beliefs and STFU.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I kinda agree with the OP in that at least the fundies actually take what is written word for word and don't just pick and choose what they want and simply ignore the icky parts about death, rape and genocide.

At least they're consistent.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
OH, btw, seems god agrees with you

So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.

So, your God requires his followers to be complete raving zealot literalists?

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AllIsOne
a reply to: tinkortwim

Well, how does it work?

You need to understand and discover it on your own,

It something that cant be taught,

just look at religion, its supposed to teach the truth to its followers but the truth shouldn't be so conflicting towards others of different beliefs it should be universal.

Find your own truth and live by it.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

are they reallly consistent ?????

try actually reading leviticus and deuteronomy - then find me a fundie who actually follows every command

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

try actually reading leviticus and deuteronomy - then find me a fundie who actually follows every command

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Why not abolish the old religions and build something new from the core? We need a greater God …

We already are, and have been for a while. Think about it...

edit on 11/19/2014 by Klassified because: live version

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Why is it atheist are so obsessed with god? It seems to me far more topics are started by atheist on ATS regarding god then the religious.

They don't really have a choice m'lady. It's shoved in their face every day.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
I don't see those who aren't fundementalists as hypocrites, but more people who believe in god but not the holy books as direct words of god. but you may be right about new religious books needing to be written.

But then they should not call themselves a label that insane people can hide their wolfish nature behind. The whole problem with the labels Christian, Jew, Muslim is that it allows wolf in sheep skin to corrupt other people. If they removed the label from themselves the wolfs nature would be alone and no longer able to hide it's insanity by saying It is part of the group label.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
It is funny. Once you come to realize its all BS you then come to realize how truly ludicrous it all is and wonder how you every actually believed any of it. Now I am going through the stage of wondering how any educated adult can look at the history in the Holy Bible and really think if there was a god that it would work out like the bible says it did.

I mean really a virgin birth? God as his, son, as himself...It would be a really odd ball deity to come up with all that. God planed it all out, first he would come as a human then have himself crucified then resurrected and then pretty much ignore modern humanity as far as saying hello or something...and then send you to hell for not believing something our ancient ancestors wrote 2000 years ago. REALLY?

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: Stormdancer777

They don't really have a choice m'lady. It's shoved in their face every day.
nfusing Atheist with Agnostics. Agnostic people probably make the most religious posts.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

what utter twaddle

christian biblical literalist young earth creationists

[ the fundamentalits mindset i have most experience of ]

are the biggest hypocrites i encounter , for the simple reason - that they will gladly deny anything that contradicts thier bible - regrardless of the evidence

That should tell you all about the texts that claim to be from the divine, but are factually wrong. You have no argument from me.

What I don't understand are those that still cling on to a certain religion, ignoring all the problems that come with it. I.e. I'm a Christian, but don't believe in the OT. In my opinion that is a bigger fallacy than just blindly believing in something that is wrong and not knowing any better.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

Well maybe not 100% consistent, but they try to be as much as possible.

Whereas the more wishy-washy religious types just plain ignore vast swathes of their holy book and focus completely on the care bear parts.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

Sorry, that you disagree with me fundamentally. I agree with your point of view.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Or is it that you want believers to be fundamentalists because fundamentalists make easier targets?

I respect fundamentalists because what you see is what you get. It's not wishy-washy. I question the logic behind adopting a concept 60%, but rejecting 40% and keeping the name of said concept.

Would it make sense believing in "string theory", but rejecting the existence of dimensions?

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I do believe you've nailed the 'wide is the gate, narrow is the doorway' thing right on the head. Not sure what else you tried to say. Something negative about religion in general?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join