It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone Is Prank Calling With My Phone Number

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I received a call yesterday. Someone asked me if would like to renew a subscription to..."click."
I hung up.
About an hour Iater I get a call from the same number. I answered the phone, a little irritated, ready to tell whoever to not call me on my personal phone while I am working.
I get this angry woman, asking me who I am and to stop calling her.
I tell her I have not called anyone and she told me someone is calling her from my number.
I told her the calls are not coming from my phone.
I got another call from her number about an hour later. I didn't answer.
About fifteen minutes later I get a call from "unknown." It was a man threatening to kick my ass if he finds out who I am and to stop calling.
From what I can put together, someone is receiving prank calls, and my number is showing up on their caller ID.
How is this possible?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

There is/was an app for androids that let you make your number appear as what ever you wanted to make it come up as, a family member of mine had it and called me but the number calling me was my own cell number. That's likely your culprit.

apps like this one at the google play store
play.google.com...
edit on 11/18/2014 by TheSilverGate because: added link

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   

There is an app where you can disguise your number as someone else's.
I only know this because I have 2 boys who enjoyed prank calling people. I use past tense there! Boys...

It is called Mask My Number. Google it and contact them to see if your number is being used.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSilverGate
I suspected it was something like that.
I would like to know if there is a way, surely there is, to track down the culprit.
I have no idea what the nature is of the calls the other person is receiving, but they sounded pretty upset.
They would not even reason with me.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Not for you!

it's possible to track them down- but you'd have to have access to the phone records. Good luck- unless you happen to work for the good old government....

FWIW it can also be done with any SIP phone system- getting popular nowadays- to fake caller ID info. About a year ago I got a call from an angry dude claiming I had slept with his girlfriend, etc etc. Call came from the number of a good friend of mine- which is the only reason I answered. A few minutes later, another call from him was some woman freaking out at me for sending her texts due to her boyfriend thinking she was sleeping with me, etc etc. Both voices were obviously people from the deep south- I live in the far north.
After thinking about it, the dialogue was strangely ignorant of my end of the call- I'm assuming its some sort of prank call service with pre-recorded calls, where a certain somebody (I have someone in mind- loser) pays a fee and feeds it your number plus the spoofed "from" number, and gets to select certain calls. My guess is they also get to hear recordings of the calls after.

Bottom line is don't sweat it. My guess is somewhere, someone is having a laugh at your expense. If it keeps happening, I suggest you explain it to them in no uncertain terms during the call.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Easy. Already answered above. There are apps that let you use any other number as the originating phone number...to block the real outgoing one.

Android is just one of many....

So if I was you...I'd be looking around at who wants to be getting you in trouble????

top topics

join