It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hypocrisy surrounding Christianity and Atheism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Just saw this video and thought you guys might be interested.

What do you guys think about this? More specifically, why do you think leading Atheists are so hateful towards something they think doesn't even exist? They are explicitly referring to God and Jesus Christ. Not to the religion of Christianity.

Although you may say it was in a hypothetical context, you cannot deny the real emotion. Why is there real emotional attachment, some would even say obsession, over something that they SHOULD, feel indifferent about.

Another interesting observation. Have you noticed that hardcore Atheists seem to have a lot of vested energy in combating creationists? I wonder why that is.

Any thoughts?
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TechUnique

Do you mind sharing with us what parts of this video you do and do not agree with? That way there is no confusion when people form their responses.

My only comment is that with presuppositions you can prove anything.
edit on 11-18-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

Do you mind sharing with us what parts of this video you do and do not agree with? That way there is no confusion when people form their responses.

My only comment is that with presuppositions you can prove anything.

What has that got to do with the actual video and what you think about it? I posted the video and posed some of my own questions and observations.

Now you add to the debate before you raise another. Don't side track this thread please.

EDIT TO ADD: You didn't even watch the video before commenting. The times don't add up. Why don't you actually contribute to the thread?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

The video talked about presuppositional apologetics.
That's what my comment had to do with the video.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I would say its because some people have a hard time swallowing the fact that some people believe the world is 6k years old and man walked with dinosaurs

Im no atheist but the very idea makes me want to slam my head against the wall...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechUnique
EDIT TO ADD: You didn't even watch the video before commenting. The times don't add up. Why don't you actually contribute to the thread?

I watched some of it. But does that matter? The last time you posted a video and got called out on its errors you tried claiming you didn't endorse it. What motivation does anyone have to discuss the video when you won't. Or when you do, you will likely be using presuppositional apologetic arguments.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

I would say its because some people have a hard time swallowing the fact that some people believe the world is 6k years old and man walked with dinosaurs

Im no atheist but the very idea makes me want to slam my head against the wall...

There is evidence to suggest that dinosaurs and homo sapiens have coexisted. Note how I said, suggest.
Soft tissue found in dinosaur bones

Obviously they've got an an answer for it. What do you think of the answer?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I watched some of it. But does that matter? The last time you posted a video and got called out on its errors you tried claiming you didn't endorse it. What motivation does anyone have to discuss the video when you won't. Or when you do, you will likely be using presuppositional apologetic arguments.

Why do you keep shifting the focus onto me rather than the video and what YOU think of the video? Are you shying away from it or something? Refer to my first response to you.

Edit to add.
Why I am responsible for telling you what the video means? I'm already posed some interesting questions for discussion. Why don't you answer those? or watch the video and comment? Otherwise what are you doing in this thread?

If you don't respond to anything I just said and have said in the OP or at least address the video then I won't respond to any of your future replies as they will be pointless thread drift. Pointless thread drift about a past thread that got drifted.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Atheists don't believe in a god(s), therefore they don't hate god(s). They may, however, hate how some people who think that they know all about god, project their own biases and prejudices and think they have the right to judge and to meddle in the lives of others, all the while claiming the moral high ground.

I realize that you're hopelessly indoctrinated in your religion, but I would think that even you could see how ignorant, biased and insulting that video is to anyone with a smidgen of intellectual honesty.

Most atheists will agree to disagree with Christians, but you guys just have to counter and say that then, the atheist must not really exist.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I told you my opinion of the video, or at least implied it.

It's crap, bluntly. I watched it all just so you know.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I told you my opinion of the video, or at least implied it.

It's crap, bluntly. I watched it all just so you know.

Why is it crap?

The video talked about presuppositional apologetics.
That's what my comment had to do with the video.

I agree with the video if that's what you were asking. Now I've answered your question can you answer the questions I posed in the OP?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I will address your comments and questions but I have seen how you are with videos you post. Last time you posted a video and everyone addressed the content you would claim the content of the video wasn't your even though in other posts you presented the video as evidence for your position. Sooo...why should I think you will not do the same with this video?

What do you guys think about this? More specifically, why do you think leading Atheists are so hateful towards something they think doesn't even exist?

Well Christians believe their god exists and act accordingly. Their god/book tells them to be hateful towards groups and they act upon it.

I don't hate your god I hate what it stands for and how it affects people. I guess in a way I hate your god the same way I can hate the bad guy in novels or movies. Actually hate is a strong word there are not too many things in life that I actually hate in fact I am having a hard time naming any however you should get the point. I dislike your fictional god the same way I dislike Emperor Palpatine in star wars they were evil. Not that I think either are real outside of a story however one does inspire some insipid actions from people (not the one from star wars).

Why is there real emotional attachment, some would even say obsession, over something that they SHOULD, feel indifferent about.

Why should people feel indifferent about it. Religion has seeped its way into every crack and crevice of life. We had presidents saying god chose them inspired them and they felt righteous in taking us to war. That alone gives me more than enough reason not to feel indifferent. Now think about every joe shmoe politician invoking the name of god and using scripture to justify their beliefs and actions which they take to congress and base their votes on.

There s plenty of reason not to be indifferent I just wonder why you havent realized it. Seems like a no brainer.
edit on 18-11-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Why I am responsible for telling you what the video means? I'm already posed some interesting questions for discussion. Why don't you answer those? or watch the video and comment? Otherwise what are you doing in this thread?

Well I will tell you why I asked you to tell us what you agreed or disagreed with in the video. Last time you posted a video that got easily debunked you fled from discussion of the topic and made statements that you didn't have to answer for anything in the video because they weren't necessarily your views. Even though they obviously were and other statements you said backed that up. You make contradictory statements. So it is perfectly acceptable for me to ask you to clarify your position in regards to this video. You didn't pose any interesting questions for discussion, you posed questions you think you already know the answers to. How do I know that? Well for one, that video outlined it nicely. This thread is basically this thread. Secondly, your actions in the "biggest lie" thread. You aren't interested in discussion. You are only interested in re-enforcing your beliefs by baiting atheists and non Christians into your thread. Only to form "valid" arguments proving them wrong, using presuppositions a.k.a. assumptions. I have nothing more to say to you.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Well I will tell you why I asked you to tell us what you agreed or disagreed with in the video. Last time you posted a video that got easily debunked you fled from discussion of the topic and made statements that you didn't have to answer for anything in the video because they weren't necessarily your views. Even though they obviously were and other statements you said backed that up. You make contradictory statements. So it is perfectly acceptable for me to ask you to clarify your position in regards to this video. You didn't pose any interesting questions for discussion, you posed questions you think you already know the answers to. How do I know that? Well for one, that video outlined it nicely. This thread is basically this thread. You aren't interested in discussion. You are only interested in re-enforcing your beliefs by baiting atheists and non Christians into your thread. Only to form "valid" arguments proving them wrong, using presuppositions a.k.a. assumptions.

Don't worry though, I have nothing more to say to you.

Wow. You go to an awful length to not take part. I just told you I agree with the guy. Why can't you answer my questions? If i knew the answers why would I be asking them?

Do you even have answers? Is that the problem?

You just don't know. So you lash out and try and reason that it's somehow my fault for you not having an answer. The God 'question' makes everyone so uncomfortable. So uncomfortable that you just lash out.

Can you tell me why this is or why you disagree with what I said? Or are you just gonna spin it again. Talk about how you didn't like how I posted in the other thread. If you're not going to contribute to the discussion and are just going to try and attack me then what is the point of you being here?

You say I'm baiting you. You're the one being rude and unreasonable.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

All right, you got me to make one more post.

Have you noticed that hardcore Atheists seem to have a lot of vested energy in combating creationists? I wonder why that is.

Because creationists use:

Dishonest tactics.
Dishonest science.
Ignore evidence that doesn't agree with them.
Twist data to agree with them.
Form apologetic arguments aka straw man.
Form arguments based on assumptions aka presuppositions.
They misrepresent real facts when told to teach them. (e.g. evolution).
They indoctrinate children in schools with all of the above. (e.g. Texas)

Need I continue?

Have any opinion of me you like. I've no more to say to you on the subject.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
OP. This post is not aimed at you personally, but at the video, which I have just finished...

I have never seen anyone try so hard to convince themselves something doesn't exist. It's really quite simple. There is no god, and I don't hate him/her/it, because he/she/it does not exist. However, I, along with many other atheists, ant-theists, and anti-religionists, have grown weary of having the xtian version of a non-existent deity, shoved down our throats for the past 2000 years.

When atheists talk about "god", it's no different than talking as if a unicorn existed. It doesn't, but if I say I would like to ride one if it did, then I suppose by the video's logic, I must actually believe in unicorns, or I wouldn't be talking about them, or want to ride one. Sure, that makes sense. NOT.

Although you may say it was in a hypothetical context, you cannot deny the real emotion. Why is there real emotional attachment, some would even say obsession, over something that they SHOULD, feel indifferent about.

Let me come to your house daily, for the rest of your life, with Koran in hand, and do my best to convince you that that Allah, not Jesus, is the real savior. How long before you throw me out of your house in anger? Why get angry? Allah doesn't exist.

Another interesting observation. Have you noticed that hardcore Atheists seem to have a lot of vested energy in combating creationists? I wonder why that is.

This has been answered thousands of times on ATS. It is because xtianity has spent the last 2000 years vesting every bit of energy they have in conquering the world, by whatever means necessary, including murder, genocide, and torture. Of course, these days we have a kinder, gentler, xtian who wears us down with sheer volume of attacks against our sensibilities.

I am all for anyone believing whatever they want. But don't come knocking on my door, or telling me how I'm going to spend eternity separated from a god I don't even believe exists. I'm sorry, but evangelical/fundamentalist xtianity has earned the vitriol it receives many times over.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Are you an atheist?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

Are you an atheist?

Sigh,

It seems I am according to Christians. I don't believe in the biblical God or a creator god, that dwells outside of all that exists. I don't believe in a supreme being that is watching us and wants to be worshiped...etc. I cant think of a single supernatural thing that makes me believe in a self determined supernatural supreme being that meddles in human affairs, gets angry and jealous and needs to be honored.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

All right, you got me to make one more post.

Have you noticed that hardcore Atheists seem to have a lot of vested energy in combating creationists? I wonder why that is.

Because creationists use:

Dishonest tactics.
Dishonest science.
Ignore evidence that doesn't agree with them.
Twist data to agree with them.
Form apologetic arguments aka straw man.
Form arguments based on assumptions aka presuppositions.
They misrepresent real facts when told to teach them. (e.g. evolution).
They indoctrinate children in schools with all of the above. (e.g. Texas)

Need I continue?

Have any opinion of me you like. I've no more to say to you on the subject.

All of what you said can apply to you.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join