It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why isn't Satan admired more?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: JUhrman

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: JUhrman

So why do you need the bible, churches, priests, deacons, and the pope? If the point is the message (which is essentially "do unto others as they would unto you") then why is all the rest of that baggage necessary?

1) You don't need it. It just still exists to this day.

So then we should be working to abolish all religions since the message "be nice to others" is integral to all of them and is the only part that is necessary.

2) It's a tradition from 2000 years ago. Do you need to celebrate Halloween, Christmas or Thanksgiving? No. So why are people still doing it? Because they enjoy it. If most people suffered from religion, it would have disappeared in this century. Figures shows it's still very alive and even growing. Maybe it answers to a need the modern society or science alone can't fulfill?

From what I've seen, people don't keep doing traditions because they enjoy them. They do them because that is what they've always done and what their parents have always done. How many times do you see someone go to church every Sunday, but sleep through the sermon or daydream the whole time? That's not enjoyment. That's just not being able to break habit.

3) To each their own, it's been a long time since the Church attacked other religion. If anything, the Church today is the most modern and progressive monotheistic religion, trying to re-establish communication between all faiths, being open to science and trying to adapt itself to new challenges. It's still an old institution full of bad habits, but at least they aren't afraid to try to change that.

I firmly believe that much of the reason that the Church doesn't attack other religions anymore is because it is illegal to do so in the countries that most of its followers live in.

Basically the Church knows very well they aren't the only truth around anymore and they are OK with that. They focus more on what they have in common with other faiths/beliefs/philosophies instead on focusing on what differs, like some people seem to excel in.

Or they have just accepted that there is nothing they can do about it.

You have all the rights to hate the Church and to believe that people are tricked to follow its teaching. But what if I told you many critical and educated individuals also make the choice to follow a proven spiritual path to give meaning to their life, be it buddhism, christian faith or even hinduism, without interpreting its teaching literally? Could you understand their choice and not consider they are deluded?

You keep talking to me like I don't know what a theist is. I know what a theist is. I even know what an agnostic theist is. But when you believe in ANYTHING spiritual, you are believing in something with no evidence to support it. It's intellectually dishonest, and that is true no matter how abstract you make your deity.

I might as well believe in Peter Pan. I have the same amount of evidence proving Peter Pan as I do god. One book.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
There are two ways to live/think

The way of give (self sacrifice for the benefit of others)
The way of get (sacrificing others for the benefit of self)

If you live according to the way of give, you admire God's way of life.
If you live according to the way of get, you admire Satan's way of life.

By our nature we are selfish, we hurt others and take from them to benefit ourselves, don't believe me... wait until you cannot get food or water and see how mankind chooses to deal with that survival method (way of get).

I would argue that with every choice which hurts others to benefit oneself that those choices are admiration's of Satan's way of thinking. As such mankind admires Satan to a FAR greater degree then the mind of God.

Admire: Look at with pleasure; regard with respect;

You respect what you obey/yield to; mankind respects Satan, FAR more then God at this time in the present age of Satan's rule.

God Bless,

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Well if the contents in the religion are false, then the answer to the question "Why?" is also going to be wrong. So no use worrying about it.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: silo13

I believe that I don't know if I have a soul, that's it. Don't look any further into those words then what is written.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Well I disagree on most points you raised.

You hate religions and wish people used other names to discuss the golden rule and philosophical matter. In the end it's mostly you that it bothers, most people don't care if your philosophy teacher is called Jesus, Buddha or Plato, and if they taught using parables or logical reasoning.

Also I want to remind you spirituality is a self-transformation enterprise, and as such, nothing supernatural.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Well if the contents in the religion are false, then the answer to the question "Why?" is also going to be wrong. So no use worrying about it.

The content of religions being false depends entirely on your definition of god that I'm still waiting.

In my personal path, god is not only possible, but tangible and real, and how I see god gives me a valid reason to apply the golden rule.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

You hate religions and wish people used other names to discuss the golden rule and philosophical matter. In the end it's mostly you that it bothers, most people don't care if your philosophy teacher is called Jesus, Buddha or Plato, and if they taught using parables or logical reasoning.

Religion itself is a cancer on society. I have no problem with people discussing philosophy.

Also I want to remind you spirituality is a self-transformation enterprise, and as such, nothing supernatural.

The base word of spirituality is spirit. Spirit is basically another word for soul. Souls are supernatural. I can learn to be nice to others and uphold good morals without spirituality.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
a reply to: Krazysh0t a reply to: zazzafrazz

Added note more on topic: It still amazes me people are so quick to follow evil - Satan - all the while denying the existence of God. And ya know why? Because it's easier.

peace

Hi Silo

Re the Soul thing, I won't go into that as my soul is not up for judgement, healing or saving or discussion from any other human being.

In regards to following Satan, no such thing, I don't believe in that creature so I pay it no heed whatsoever let alone follow it. I have a interest from a historical/anthropological perspective

Denying the existence of a Abrahamic God as a former Catholic is actually a lot harder than you can ever imagine. I would disagree 100% with that statement Silo. Overcoming indoctrination, fear teachings, condemnation, continued condemnation was quite the battle. Staying in the church would have been the far easier path to take.

edit on 19-11-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

The base word of spirituality is spirit. Spirit is basically another word for soul. Souls are supernatural. I can learn to be nice to others and uphold good morals without spirituality.

You mistake spirituality and spiritualism.

Spirit comes from Latin and etymologically means "breath". The spirit is the essence of life. In greek it's called pneuma. It's only you that think it mostly means "soul".

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

The content of religions being false depends entirely on your definition of god that I'm still waiting.

I have no set definition of god. I discount all of them as there is no evidence that any version exists. Let's be clear here though, when it comes to god (whatever it may be), I'm not saying that it doesn't exist. I'm just saying I don't know.

As far as religions go, I think that none of them have the right answer on what god is. All of them are the imaginations of what humans think god is, and humans are terrible guessers.

In my personal path, god is not only possible, but tangible and real, and how I see god gives me a valid reason to apply the golden rule.

So if god wasn't real you wouldn't be able to apply the golden rule?

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

So if god wasn't real you wouldn't be able to apply the golden rule?

I would have no reason not to be selfish. I would apply the golden rule out of social pressure, but not because I would think it has any meaning.

I discount all of them as there is no evidence that any version exists.

There are proofs of a pantheist god all around you. You just don't want to call it that way because it conflicts with your definition of god.
edit on 19-11-2014 by JUhrman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I would have no reason not to be selfish. I would apply the golden rule out of social pressure, but not because I would think it has any meaning.

Sometimes social pressure is all you need.

There are proofs of a pantheist god all around you. You just don't want to call it that way because it conflicts with your definition of god.

What? Naturalism? That's too abstract and doesn't count as evidence. Evidence is testable and repeatable. Give me some of that. I'm a logical thinker, I don't care about metaphors and hidden meanings. I want to see it to believe it. So show me the evidence if it exists.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I think Satan just generalized word for adversary or enemies of the religion, that would be to proud to bow or fight back against the accusing religion. All the other fallen angels seem to have their own names, but some how they always relate to the name, Satan.

Propaganda?

The Adversaries kingdom(Satan's Kingdom) maybe?

1. Adversary, antagonist mean a person or a group contending against another. Adversary suggests an enemy who fights determinedly, continuously, and relentlessly: a formidable adversary.Antagonist suggests one who, in hostile spirit, opposes another, often in a particular contest or struggle: a duel with an antagonist.

Sounds evil enough to me, and they say only love and compassion can defeat the Devil.
edit on 19-11-2014 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Sometimes social pressure is all you need.

Sorry, I'm not like that, I do things that I chose to do because I believe in them, not because it looks cool or everyone does it :p

What? Naturalism? That's too abstract and doesn't count as evidence. Evidence is testable and repeatable. Give me some of that. I'm a logical thinker, I don't care about metaphors and hidden meanings. I want to see it to believe it. So show me the evidence if it exists.

Pantheism:

Pantheism is the belief that the universe (or nature as the totality of everything) is identical with divinity, or that everything composes an all-encompassing, immanent God. Pantheists thus do not believe in a distinct personal or anthropomorphic god.

That god must have superpowers or a personality like a super-being is only your preconceptions talking.
If you are a pantheist, the universe is god, and god is the universe. The universe is real so god is real.

Like I said, you probably wont like this explanation because for you god MUST be supernatural.

But that's not the point.

My point is that all religions are valid and interesting when you look at them through the pantheistic lens. All these myths and stories can now be reconciled with your scientific knowledge.

What you hate isn't religions, it's an interpretation of religions based on a supernatural god.
edit on 19-11-2014 by JUhrman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
is there an official bible for satan or something? i feel like he hasnt had a proper chance to speak for himself in a while. thats not a very judicial process is it.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I found it even more difficult to explore the topic of God outside of religion. There are no signposts pointing to how one should view it at that point. As for the devil, I don't think we need to look any further than us humans to witness the depths of evil.

The indoctrination of nearly all control mechanisms are designed in a way that whether we accept or deny the premise, we are controlled and indoctrinated all the same.
edit on 19-11-2014 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Pantheist or Panentheist?

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Sorry, I'm not like that, I do things that I chose to do because I believe in them, not because it looks cool or everyone does it :p

I like to say that too, but you'd be surprised at the amount of things that you do because of social pressure whether you realize it or not.

Pantheism:

Pantheism is the belief that the universe (or nature as the totality of everything) is identical with divinity, or that everything composes an all-encompassing, immanent God. Pantheists thus do not believe in a distinct personal or anthropomorphic god.

So basically naturalism, except you worship the universe.

That god must have superpowers or a personality like a super-being is only your preconceptions talking.
If you are a pantheist, the universe is god, and god is the universe. The universe is real so god is real.

Actually I already dispelled this assumption when I talked about Buddhism earlier in the thread and said it was the most logical answer to the current human religions. The god in Buddhism is closer to a place (like what you believe) rather than a physical entity.

Like I said, you probably wont like this explanation because for you god MUST be supernatural.

I won't like it? I'm agnostic. I allow for all beliefs and ideas. I just want the evidence of existence first.

My point is that all religions are valid and interesting when you look at them through the pantheistic lens. All these myths and stories can now be reconciled with your scientific knowledge.

They are just as valid as worshiping the Dark Tower series of books.

What you hate isn't religions, it's an interpretation of religions based on a supernatural god.

No, I'm pretty clear about hating religion. Religion is an institution created by man. Faith or spirituality isn't the same as religion.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I found it even more difficult to explore the topic of God outside of religion. There are no signposts pointing to how one should view it at that point. As for the devil, I don't think we need to look any further than us humans to witness the depths of evil.

The indoctrination of nearly all control mechanisms are designed in a way that whether we accept or deny the premise, we are controlled and indoctrinated all the same.

And the signposts in religion are pretty poorly written and self-serving.

Good comment

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ElohimJD

There are two ways to live/think

The way of give (self sacrifice for the benefit of others)
The way of get (sacrificing others for the benefit of self)

If you live according to the way of give, you admire God's way of life.
If you live according to the way of get, you admire Satan's way of life.

and if you listen to the taoists, there is no light without the shadow. god without satan is meaningless.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join