It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patton Oswalt sums up religion fantastically

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I've been diving too deep into reading books (and threads on here) and watching documentaries lately.

I saw some Patton Oswalt stand up pop up on Netflix. I figured I'd watch it to relax since he's one of the best comedians in history (obviously my opinion).

The stand up special was called "My Weakness is Strong" and I laughed from start to finish. After reading so many religious threads on here lately I thought I'd share a clip from his special.

This clip summarizes religion extremely well in just over 3 minutes and isn't even hateful.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Long time lurker here. I made an account just to say that Patton Oswald and his view and opinions on guns makes me throw up in my mouth. Thanks!

edit on 18-11-2014 by fieldyznutz because: spelling

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: fieldyznutz

Which views? He likes guns :p

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Louis CK is, subjectively, funnier... and so are many others, but that was a decent attempt at explaining the religious thang.

So thanks for posting... despite the 'throw-upy' mouths of some. Might I suggest a good tooth-brushing?

edit on 11/18/2014 by Baddogma because: made louis a lois ...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Well, Louis CK holds the title of best comedian right now unquestionably. Patton Oswalt is definitely up there in my book. Did you ever see his twitter troll thing. It was absolutely hilarious.

www.avclub.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

No I didn't...thanks for the link. eta and that was seriously funny and I have to think it took some time to construct those tweets!

And I'm pretty picky when it comes to comedy... the standard yucksters give me a migraine... but I liked Oswalt already and know he's a cut above... his starring role in Adult Swim's Heart She Holler is ... er... unforgettable? That IS him... right?
edit on 11/18/2014 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45
twitchy.com...

m.huffpost.com...

m.mic.com...

not so sure he does..

edit on 18-11-2014 by fieldyznutz because: (no reason given)

Also, he swears up and down that Sandy Hook actually happened. The guy is a tool.
edit on 18-11-2014 by fieldyznutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

I dunno. I haven't watched much adult swim in ages. I kinda barely watch TV at all except for a handful of shows.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: fieldyznutz

The majority of people think Sandy hook happened. Are you calling every single one of those (99.9999% of all people) tools?

He's for gun control which most people are for. He's not anti gun. I don't see why anyone needs an assault rifle in this day and age.

He's also totally right with that Rambo thing in my very biased opinion.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I used to be an agnostic then an Atheist after my nephew died in a car crash a few days before he was born and the law of the UK said that because he didn't take his first breath he wasn't legally a person - I know and then after my Mum had a heart attack and needed a triple heart bypass a few years ago, I sort of prayed my heart out. Now I know people say well that's a bit bat spit crazy, so I like to think that I've been on both sides of the fence, but through all that, I've had two constant ideas when it comes to Religion -

1 - Being agnostic or an Atheist is still a religion is a sense. You absolutely, definitely believe that there is nothing after the end. That life was born into a once empty void which became a universe out of chance and from that came humans and everything else - That's a belief that you hold and so that is a religion, of course that is how I see it.

2 - I have never and would never insult someones intelligence for their beliefs. I dont point at a scientologist and laugh about their belief (even though some might say that's a very hard thing to do). I dont mock people who believe that pigs are scared or cows (sorry dont know which). I let those who choose to believe, believe and those who wish not to, well I leave it to them.

My basic idea and reasoning behind god and the grand design is actually a pretty simple one. One that has yet to be disprove after it was first thought up (cant remember who it was) and it comes down to maths. - Nothing, plus Nothing equals everything.

Tell me how that is possible. Show me where Nothing (which is what at this time, science says was before the big bang) added with nothing (Remember the big bang is the birth of the universe currently at least) equals everything that was, is and ever will be in the universe, you cant.

And one more thing, My theory on there being a creator is simply this - The creator only helps in small ways, ways that would always leave that nagging question of 'Is there some one out there creating all this' in our minds and let mankind and all life in the universe live their lives in the way they choose.

Thanks for reading and sorry if its a rant.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Danny85

Well, sorry for the loss... really, I know it sucks... but believing in some form of afterlife and being an atheist are not mutually exclusive.

I have run into innumerable examples of seeming contact by dead people, and still hold an "anti-organized religious" stance.

It's a big universe and anyone saying they have it all figured out is very likely ...wrong.

new topics

top topics

join