It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next Level BS #21: Evil Monsanto or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the GMO's

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Yeah I figured y'all would be ready for it. You even said it. To be honest I expected to see a lot more already but it seems sort of quite...so far.

There have been a few issues I didn't really agree or agree at all with you guys on here about however after keeping an open mind I changed my position on most all except one. Oh well you can't win them all.

Anyway as far as Monsanto goes I hope you tear them a new one. I have looked into the science on GMOs for a long time and from what I have discerned they are perfectly safe and just as nutritious for human consumption but that doesn't mean I like the companies that produce them.

So go ahead tear apart Monsanto and their ilk I will cheer for it but my stance on the GMOs themselves are a different matter.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The NLBS Review
By Ripcontrol

Last one I posted in I noticed a few issues and things I wanted to address
(please realize I just post here and there)

Style

The videos are presented by Joe
He comes across as the common man

His speech patterns and look give the feel of
working class
rebelling
Young but intelligent

His research however is the key here
The style is used to get across to a majority of people

The intro and set (I assume may be part green screen) feed into this

With this said
This particular show is easy to digest

Maui citizens passed a law
Monsanto is taking it to court

Monsanto is setting itself up to control food supply evil overlord style(IMHO)

However People claim it is ALL bad
allowed key crops that have been GMO'ed

They are being hypocrites in not stopping all of it

That in a nutshell was the show

My Review

I hope honesty is appreciated

First..
I am debating on getting a shirt
(yes I caught the pitch but I also understand TANSTAAFL and it takes money to do a show)
For the fun of it so if people ask I can have fun with it

Second
You lost my attention twice

I am not sure if it is back round noise at my house or not.. I will wait till next NLBS video to see

Third
I know you have more experience in this matter then but I want to add feedback so at the very least if may lead to other ideas..

Is there a way the look of the show might be changed

I am not feeling it.. It did not hold my attention
I was thinking it might be green screen if so perhaps a different element
(I know consistancy plays a huge role in marketing in terms of what the veiwer is used to)

Maybe a more Star trek feel to the presentation's background (or perhaps a more science fictiony feel)
I am just being weird.. You know the market better then I do by a country mile

(I have friend doing his own thing on Youtube, but this conversation came up with him and his green screen efforts)

____

My Idea for a show

There have been two issues of this being exposed
one a reporter was bit
and the other was some crap about election noght honor deals

Perhaps a show looking into the media itself
If they have backroom deals not to run stories this is NLBS
What else do they agree not to run
________

Conclusion
1) The style is well crafted and fits

2) I reviewed the show

a)the set design suggestion but yall are better at this then I am

3)Reporters and the deals made not to run stories

Either way I enjoyed the show and await the Monsanto episode you hinted at

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I don't understand why Maui jumped onto the green movement soapbox.

Why didn't they just simply state, "Look, we don't want Monsanto stepping in here and monopolizing our farming industry. We're doing quite fine with our own GMO research. Thank you very much."

Period.

It would have at least given them a better leg to stand on, legally speaking.

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I'm sorry but that's just not true. Gmo crops do not increase yield, and there are a multitude of credible scientific studies that clearly demonstrate that they should not be consumed. Anyone who tells you they are %100 safe is either lying or regurgitating data from the zillion 'studies' funded by gmo proponents.

The motivation behind gmos is purely for profit. Seed patents are where the big buck$ are and that's how Monsanto became the monster it is today. It's funny to me the whole "Yes Monsanto is the most diabolical corporation on earth, but their products are healthy and screw you for trying to stand up to them"...such a confused, weak and petty argument. They've obviously done something right as they have uninformed moronic minions defending them left and right because...why? Nothing else to do I suppose. It means something to those who are fighting it but it clearly means jack sh*t to those who persecute just for the sake of it. It's quite mind-boggling. This company has destroyed the lives of so many farmers. It bought Blackwater for goodness sake! E-V-I-L.

People should have the right to eat gmos, and people should have the right not to eat them, and to know whether a product contains them. Most food on the shelves specify whether the product is kosher, what's the big stink about gmos if the people have spoken? They're banned in many countries because of...superstition?

I just don't get the malicious, 'you're an idiot' attitude, it helps no one. You do your thing and we'll do ours.

edit on 18-11-2014 by humanityrising because: I'm an idiot

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: humanityrising

Well, that was a fun ride. I'm not defending Monsanto. They use allelochemistry to blight the earth so that way poor farmers have to continue buying their products forever or face famine. That is evil. I'm just not reverting to the reactionary positions of "The sky is falling," because a product happens to be GMO. So long as no strange metabolites like benzene have appeared and they don't blight the earth, then they are probably all right. Transferring a protein from a yeast to an ear of corn doesn't suddenly make it deadly.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

Nechash I apologize, I just got done editing that that wasn't all directed at you whatsoever. After the 1st paragraph it kind of morphed into a generalized rant...woops!

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Hey, no problem. My ego survives in the rocky sea that is my interior world. I just didn't know where you were taking me. I felt like a strawman there for a moment.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
No thanks, will never agree with eating them and will support measures for labeling, etc. I'm not # off but rather concerned for those who are just going to accept it health wise. Also, of course if they decide to support Monsanto's actions against anti Monsanto, just based on what pro Monsanto promotes to the masses.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I love when people say the facts speak for themselves. What facts? Tests done by GMO producers and FDA approval?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nechash

I just didn't know where you were taking me.

I don't know where I'm taking myself most of the time...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ripcontrol

Thanks for the critique. First, we are not using a green screen. Recently we've grown unhappy with the background tiles of the set and looking at solutions to correct it. Second, The idea you've proposed for a topic is interesting and I've added it to the list of potentials. Thanks for watching! Cheers

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

thank you

I will say this.. you could always talk to the brits on the site

I was watching the coverage of the Scottland referendum and loved the way the Brits covered it

there sets and graphs were just a thousand times better then ours in the media
especially compared to the ones used during americas recent election

Thanks for taking the time to respond

I cant find that story so I will have to find it.. The person who told me about it follows the news business stories..

I will post the link when I get them

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

that kind of sums it up.

It isn't that Monsanto is forgiven of all their sins here. Its just that they managed to come up against a ridiculous response.

Not a bad show. I have that shirt, too.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
You can love them all you want. I'm choosing to leave them. Something is making peoples' autoimmune systems whack out, driving cancer and allergy rates through the roof, and affecting living creatures on this earth, living creatures that when observed in nature choose not to eat a lot of this stuff.

And until we figure out exactly what that is and in combination with whatever else we are doing to affect our food supplies, I will continue to pass and will continue to demand to know what I am buying, where it came from, and how it was grown. GMO and otherwise treated or manipulated foods don't taste real or act real or smell real to me.

And because I can't trace the real science or tell it from the lies and propaganda, I'm going with my gut on this one and going homegrown or local where I can, while I can.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS
HA dude! I do believe Monsanto and all the big boys procedures and legal movements and muscling in on locals are more of a hazard then the GMOs they make.

Personally I dont necessarily care, when it comes to food, my philosophy is pretty much in one hole out the other, you would be surprised what you could adapt to. But I am only speaking for myself, my mom for instance wont even eat tomatoes unless they come from the garden, she says she cant stand the taste of them. But you know what... Whatever.

And others, well I do believe that GMO's while not evil will likely have some side effects and like everything else some would be more prone to them whatever they are then other, and having a construct like Monsanto in your neighborhood doing tests, is likely to have more of a side effect then anything else there produce can create. I do not think everybody is walking away happy from that deal, besides Monsanto that is.

And those papaya which were infected with them spots, well nature does have its own mechanisms for dealing with such things. Lets just say I do not believe papayas will not go extinct any time soon, natures way of dealing with it, however it may be slower, but its more effective in the long run. But you know how it is, profit cant wait. And so a solution is found, and likely it was found about the same time the plants learned to adapt to it.

But anyways, personally I dont care what people do or this or that. GMOs for our way of life and the way society is structured are pretty much necessary, its not necessary evil but its not necessary good. Also its there land, Hawaii can do as they see fit, and I would likely believe them more so then others who would not even live there but come only once a year on vacation.

You must have seen this thread. Its somewhat pretty interesting, I dont remember the details of the video now, but at least from that video in the linked thread, well its not like they dont have there reasons, or that Monsanto is totally looking out for the interests of the locals. If the locals dont look out for the interests of the locals, well, then no one will.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

If link wont work for the thread. Here's the vid.

edit on 11pmTuesdaypm182014f2pmTue, 18 Nov 2014 23:00:35 -0600 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
All I need to know, Is that Animals don't like GMO's. Something in their nose, i suppose, indicates to them that it is unsafe. Try it, its really a simple answer. Put some GMO's out with some Organic Corn, if you can't still get it idk, but they will not touch the feed corn I have. And yes, I am assuming its GMO, pretty much all corn is nowadays, look it up. I heard this on Coast to Coast or something, and tried it myself. It seems to be true.

Has anyone ever tested GMO's for Glycophosphate? Its gotta be completely loaded with the stuff, I don't see how they would get it out of the food. They are basically dumping it everywhere in large quantities, and people wonder how they got cancer. The way I see it, we are just a few well crafted lawsuits away from ending the tyranny. The constitutional violations continue to pile up, they are indefensible in my opinion.

If I am eating Kosher, cause I'm a Jew, don't I have the religious right to know what the hell I am eating?

Shame on you NLBS, being so ignorant should be a crime.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   
A reply to: theNLBS

Not being from the US I have always found your NLBS to be entertaining at the least as most matter in the show just relate to the US.

What surprised me this show Joe, was your statement regarding after doing your research you are now quite happy eating your GMO food.

Well let me be the one to inform you, you need to do more research, maybe also look more outside the USA for information.

Forget the trials and the studies for a moment, be them false or true on either side off the argument. The fact is many countries have banned are are heading the direction of being virtually GMO free especially in Europe.

www.gmo-free-regions.org...

Why do you think this is?

How can anyone possible know what the long term effects are on humans when we are only looking at 20 years or so of human consumption.

Also remember it is not just your food that is GMO but pretty much everything you consume and also use, soap, lotions, oils etc things that you put on your skin daily.
Also all your meat and poultry have been fed on GMO.

So especially in the USA for example you have the general population which is having a massive doses of GMO intorduced into there lives regarding everything you are consuming,
With no choice, no labelling etc.
If I was in the US I would be seriously worried what the long term affects are going to be.

Remember they told us smoking was good for you, at least there was a choice, look were we are now regarding smoking and what it has done and is still doing to our societies.

Good luck USA, your going to need it.

P.S. No star or flag this time Joe.

edit on 19/11/2014 by TheDon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Interestingly, one of the subjects on Morning Joe this morning was Science Deniers and the hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle. Seems Democrats and Republicans both deny science when it suits their agenda. Their subjects were the XL Pipeline, which science claims is safe but Democrats are overwhelmingly against, and man-caused climate change, which science says is happening but Republicans discount. Each side denies the science when it's convenient. Are they listening to NLBS?

If nothing else comes from this NLBS, I would hope it would get people to open their minds and realize that people tend to cleave so strongly to their chosen political leanings that they are willing to deny what's right in front of their faces.

I have the same concern others have expressed. Is the "science" bought and paid for by the lobbyists who own our government? I don't know who to trust. So, until I do (which I don't imagine happening) I'm going to have to go with my gut and say that I have serious reservations about embracing GMO foods until I see some longer-term studies. The fact that Monsanto is behind it and their first, last and only concern is profit, leads me to be leery. So I'll go organic whenever possible and avoid GMO. If animals won't eat it, that's a huge red flag. I think I'll try that experiment.

XL Pipeline? I'm up in the air. More research needed.
Man-caused climate change? Yeah, it's happening.
Religion/Creation? Nope.
GMO? More research needed.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
This is one subject that I have actually done extensive research on. I will admit, when this issue first came about, I jumped on the band wagon, with out knowing much, hating GMO. Let me make this clear. I am NOT talking about cross breeding plants, grafting plants, ect. I'm talking about injecting chemicals and genes.

I probably have over a hundred articles, reports and even some actual testing, from some colleges, that I actually had to pay for the findings. ( I even learned to stay away from most natural news and the like, unless they can be backed up by trustworthy sources.)

You may be fine in eating GMO. Hey, that's great. But to not at least encourage people to have the right to choose?
From what I have read? That is almost criminal.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

·It does not matter how a farmer, a forester, or a gardener’s seed or plants become contaminated with GMOs; whether through cross pollination, pollen blowing in the wind, by bees, direct seed movement or seed transportation, the growers no longer own their seeds or plants under patent law, they becomes Monsanto’s property.

Source

Certainly didn't take me more than 45 seconds of looking to see where he's coming from, although individual family owned farms rarely make headlines when they go under.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join