It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sefer ha-Razim -- The Book of Raziel

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Today I received a long awaited book shrouded in mystery and something of an enigma. The Sefer ha-Razim or the ever elusive 'Spark of Heaven' that Adam supposedly received by the Tree of Life and lost not long after, written in the pen of Raziel the arch angel, traditionally gatekeeper of the highest or seventh heaven or firmament. Enoch had it in his possession and Noah brought it through the Deluge and gave it to Abraham until it was handed down to king Solomon and further down to, well, me apparently. Quite awe striking and if it's true, that it really is that old and that it is, at least related to the Spark of Heaven rumoured among angels and demons alike to be the hotline to God-- it's enough to give anyone the creeps.

In all it's essence, it's a medieval midrashic grimoire, in its presented form perhaps from as early as late third century AD. It’s sort of a Yellow Pages listing all the angels and powers of the seven firmaments/heavens with different spells or sacrifices &c needed to be performed in order to receive their services. A manual for the invocation of angelic entities in short, "a grimoire". It lists seven firmaments/heavens and names for the angels inhibiting them, and methods for contacting them all, from the lesser aeons to the greater ones.

It seems to reflect Gnostic/Hermetic cosmology and contains certain Kabbalah and Talmud references and is true to Kosher practice and especially Genesis 1, where the firmaments corresponds to the seven days, with first firmament being Shamayim, the same Heavens God created on the first day, and the second, Shamay Shamayim corresponds to the Firmament God created on the second day and so on, with the abode of the Sun is found in the fourth firmament and the part about the seventh firmament being a praise to God over several pages, the Sabbath, Day 7.

There are lots of hints or references to different calendars and cycles, the zodiac, time and geometry (geography and astronomy). Take the number of angels in the first firmament for instance: Sum total, 382. This is the base of the number of days in a modern Jewish leap year, which has either 383 (382+1), 384 (382+2), or 385 (382+3) days according to an algorithm for adding leap years seven times during the 19 year Metonic cycle. -- However, the text I now own refers to the "15 year cycle of the reckoning of the Greek kings", which probably refers to the 15-year Roman indiction cycle used to date Roman documents from the mid-fourth century onwards and for calculating Roman taxes in Egypt from late third century onwards.

The Roman indiction cycle was probably first introduced in third-century Roman Egypt where it was used for land or agriculture taxation. There are two main sources for the numbering (or establishing a starting year) of these cycles, based on a first cycle starting either 312 AD (Paschale) or 297 AD (Coptic) which gives an earliest dating for the scroll to late third century, and there are further evidence it must have been written around then:

en.wikipedia.org...

The Chronicon Paschale (c. 630 AD) assigned its first year to 312–313 AD, whereas a Coptic document of 933 AD assigned its first year to 297–298 AD, one cycle earlier. Both of these were years of the Alexandrian calendar whose first day was Thoth 1 on August 29 in years preceding common Julian years and August 30 in years preceding leap years, hence each straddled two Julian years.

In the first firmament, which is called Shamayim, is listed seven "overseers", angelic beings, seated on seven thrones, who each have certain entities in their command and perform specific tasks. 72 in the first encampment devoted to healing, 80 in the second (devoted to combat and war), 36 in the third (oracle and prophecy), 44 in the fourth (charms or manipulating rulers' opinions and decisions), 62 in the fifth (divination and astrology), 37 in the sixth (search and rescue) and 44 in the seventh (dreaming and interpretation of dreams).

The second firmament is called 'Heaven of Heavens', or "Shamay Shamayim". This firmament is full of fear for in it are multitudes of angels making up the heavens' military armies. Within this firmament are twelve steps, filled with angels who may serve the magician after he has been observing strict purification and fasting processes (this goes for all invocations, and differ relative to task and entity &c). There is a total of 171 angels (two with double names) in the second heaven, dealing with matters of terror and war.

In the third firmament are three fiery princes. They each rule 19, 22 and 21 angels respectively, which gives a total of 65 angels.

In the fourth firmament are seven rivers of fire and water, and on each side innumerable angels, angels of fire (or heat?) on one side, and angels of cold (or water?) on the other. In this firmament is found the bridal chamber of Helios (the Sun). 31 angels lead him during the day, another 31 during the night.

In the fifth firmament are the twelve princes of glory and majesty. They rule the four winds, the four directions, the four seasons and the twelve months of the year.

In the sixth firmament are two princes ruling over 29 and 35 angels respectively-- from their respective camps in the eastern and western flanks of the firmament.

On the seventh firmament is seated ‘The One’ or ‘The King of Kings’; ‘The Lord of Hosts’, or simply God, and he sits on his ‘throne of glory’ shining forth the seven colours of the rainbow. The four Hayoth and Opanim are also found here.

If we count all angels and gods, including seven gatekeepers or arch angels, one for each firmament, the four Hayoth and their four Opanim and God himself and his two witnesses they add up to a total of 777 entities, God included. Looks legit to me. Gives me the creeps and goose bumps I normally get from these kinds of books when they seem to be working systems of magical incantations. What I find quite nice with this book, is that even though it is a crude production, set in Courier, obviously written on a typewriter-- the incantations themselves are set in italics so it's quite simple to skip them to avoid putting any curse into effect accidentally. I'm not joking. This stuff really works. The names of the angels is listed in Latin letters corresponding to the Hebrew according to a key given, and also includes a list of the names in Hebrew in the appendix.

Conclusion: All in all, a much appreciated addition to my magic section, another mile-stone and a new step on Jacob's ladder. A new key to add to the growing keyring. Hmmm. Great!

edit on 18-11-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: Conclusion, misc and shortened intro

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Utnapisjtim

Sounds occultist to me, referring to the sun as Helios, the Egyptian God revered by the Occult who is their soon coming Messiah.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Gives me the creeps and goose bumps I normally get from these kinds of books when they seem to be working systems of magical incantations. 

I get the same feeling just reading your description of it.

I recently bought a vinyl pressing of the original wax-disc recordings of alister Crowley saying his incantations of the aethers... called Alister Crowley "the great beast speaks".

I still have not listened to the record.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: tgidkp

Aye. I heard him speak once, probably the same recording, but this was on a CD. He sounded like a mouse squeeking. Messing in incomprehensible gibberish. Odd. Odd indeed. And Creepy.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Emerald53

Sounds occultist to me, referring to the sun as Helios, the Egyptian God revered by the Occult who is their soon coming Messiah.

Helios is the Greek name/word for the Sun. Like how Norwegians call the Sun Sol. We don't worship Mithras whose many names included Sol and Helios. The Ancient Egyptian word for the Sun is Ra, it is also the name of a major solar deity. The words are much older than pantheism that turned these things (sun, moon and thunder etc) into gods, giving them personalities and weaving stories and religions on these concepts.

If Helios is a man/god he must be extremely powerful and very bright. Not the first one I'd choose to mock or curse. And restless too in all its splendour, but spot ridden, hot and stalked and chased by Selene, and held accountable for all he illuminates. If only Venus could visit him more often, or that he could stay in the same house more than a month at the time. Always on the run. I like the Sun, its light and heat is the source of life here. The Sun in the skies is my Soul. Its on fire.
edit on 19-11-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: Last §

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
An update on Raziel ha-Malak. Raziel means "Mysteries of God" and ha-Malak means "the Angel". Here is the story according to Wikipedia, my version is slightly different, but not more than can be expected. This is what they have to say about the Spark of Heaven and how it ended up with humankind:

en.wikipedia.org...

He [Raziel] purportedly gave the book to Adam and Eve after they ate from the forbidden Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (for which resulted in their expulsion from the Garden of Eden) so the two could find their way back "home" and better understand their God. Raziel's fellow angels were deeply disturbed by this, and as such, stole the book from Adam and threw it into the ocean. God Himself decided not to punish Raziel, but instead retrieved the book by means of the angel Rahab and returned it to Adam and Eve. [...] According to some sources, the book was passed on through the generations to Enoch (In 3 Enoch believed to have later become the angel Metatron), who may have incorporated his own writings into the tome. From Enoch, the archangel Raphael gave it to Noah, who used the wisdom within to build Noah's Ark. The Book of Raziel was said to have come into the possession of King Solomon

As so often with these mysterious books, they have been shrouded in mystery and lore where one story more fantastic than the former pops into view, and plenty of books claiming to be the right one has surfaced lately. Most of them from around the days of Gutenberg. This one, however, is rather different. But that the very "Spark of Heaven" should turn out to be a grimoire, well, it's not entirely unlikely, but I doubt the book I now own contains the whole corpus of the booke that opened Adam's eyes and made him speak the unutterable name of God.

Some believe that the להט החרב "lahat ha-chereb" -- 'The Fiery Sword' -- is a metaphor for the book. Others that it is the very fruit of the Tree of Knowledge and Life (same tree). Yet others say it's the original Book of Enoch and that the books we know as Enoch today are mere extrapolations assumed from the original Booke. I'd say it's all bollocks and that the Enoch tradition from which the books of Enoch surfaced, has little if anything to do with Enoch or the angel Raziel.

It is said that the knowledge contained be the source of Kabbalah and all mystery. The divine spark or inherent light that illuminates the wise. The spirit that lives in the prophetic word, that makes the blind man see instantly, or rather exclaim and rightfully so; "I SEE", when he learns right from wrong. Truly magic. But a grimoire?

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I always enjoy your posts. I picked up a copy of Idries Shas..The Secret Lore Of Magic a while back. We noticed it missing from our library. Our inquisitive teenager was "studying it" We quickly reclaimed it and suggested to him he try some "simpler" forms of magic first.
My point of this post is that some of the sigils in Shas' book definitely click on some "collective subconscious level", hence my reluctance to try something powerful.

Good luck and take care.

This stuff really works.

Can you perhaps comment as to what success you have encountered?

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
So where's a pic of this book? You're claiming to have in your possession the original book that has been passed down through the ages? Or is this a copy of what's suppose to be that book

Surely you can manage eh? Interesting anyway!
edit on 11/21/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

I always enjoy your posts.

Thanks! I've been away a few days without internet connection, that's why I haven't replied to any posts lately.

I picked up a copy of Idries Shas..The Secret Lore Of Magic a while back. We noticed it missing from our library. Our inquisitive teenager was "studying it" We quickly reclaimed it and suggested to him he try some "simpler" forms of magic first.

I have bought a pile of books the last couple of years that still remain to be read. One of them is on Sufism. I've always found Sufism intriguing, and my view on it would be similar to my view on Kabbalah. I believe these mystical disciplines hold the keys to settlement in the ME. A common ground.

My point of this post is that some of the sigils in Shas' book definitely click on some "collective subconscious level", hence my reluctance to try something powerful.

Good luck and take care.

Yea, no worries.

This stuff really works.

Can you perhaps comment as to what success you have encountered?

I'd rather not. Wouldn't call it successful, "just" terrifying and leaving behind the feeling telling you: "Well, that was smart, now look what you have put in motion!" We are talking about potential possessions here, and ancient spiritual entities. Asking or ordering their service means that the demon or angel you invoke normally will possess one or more people, hi-jacking their bodies, using them to move about in the physical plane. So we shouldn't mess too much with it.

On the other hand, these books can also be used for healing and good. To exorcise demons is basically the same as ordering them about, showing that demon you know who it is and telling it it to peace off, and by knowing it's name and it's dominion/leader, you can bind it and cast it out of the possessed. Now, that may sound easy pleasey, trust me it's not. Some demons will remain in the bodies they possess until that body dies and they move on to some other poor sod. And to be a good exorcist you might have to fast for long periods and abstaining from sex and other pleasures for even longer time, well, it can break you down into isolation and loneliness.

Once I ended up having to reclaim my own body. What I did was I entered my own body from the front via the person who was threatening me, practically looking at meself from the skull of that other person being in some time-out situation, and since my body knows me like the glove knows my hand, the body instantly turned 180 degrees as I entered and reclaimed the body and I went from drunk to sober in an instant.

There are certain mechanics or dynamics to the spirit plane that cannot be learned from other than experience, for what works for one person often doesn't work for the other. People should know that these entities are real enough (well many of these magic texts are naturally fakes, but you catch my drift, some aren't) and what the aspiring magus should know is that by ordering these entities around for his own benefit, well, one day we all have to answer for what we have done in life before the Terrible Judge in lack of a better name, and the magician should know that he will held accountable for the intentions, implications and outcomes of his magical dealings and the crap-storms they always seem to end up in.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

It's a translation made from a well of sources. You can buy it at Amazon and it's freely available as online text in a few versions on the net as far as I know, but you'd need to know Hebrew in most cases. This is a translation, a rather crude one as such, like I said, it's written on a typewriter and then printed, but its content looks legit to me, comparing it to books on magical invocations from Greek antiquity, ancient Egypt and Medieval Europe.

ETA: So no original, which should be rather apparent from reading the OP. I collect books for their contents, not their material value. Most books I own I've bought off of Amazon or other book depositories. I love second hand book shops and even scavenge for books at local trash recycling yards. I have book cases in my bedroom now. No more room.
edit on 24-11-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: ETA

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Utnapisjtim
In the first firmament, which is called Shamayim, is listed seven "overseers", angelic beings, seated on seven thrones, who each have certain entities in their command and perform specific tasks. 72 in the first encampment devoted to healing, 80 in the second (devoted to combat and war), 36 in the third (oracle and prophecy), 44 in the fourth (charms or manipulating rulers' opinions and decisions), 62 in the fifth (divination and astrology), 37 in the sixth (search and rescue) and 44 in the seventh (dreaming and interpretation of dreams).

The second firmament is called 'Heaven of Heavens', or "Shamay Shamayim". This firmament is full of fear for in it are multitudes of angels making up the heavens' military armies. Within this firmament are twelve steps, filled with angels who may serve the magician after he has been observing strict purification and fasting processes (this goes for all invocations, and differ relative to task and entity &c). There is a total of 171 angels (two with double names) in the second heaven, dealing with matters of terror and war.

:

Wow, so even in heaven, more energy and resources are devoted to war and/or terror than other issues. So much for streets of gold and pearly gates, no tears or worries, yada, yada, yada. Now I understand why mankind does some of what they do, they're just following the heavenly examples.

Interesting post OP. Might have to get the book.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Political power seems to be the main incentive behind all religion, and war is the ultimate power of politics so in a way it does make sense. Well spotted

edit on 24-11-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: ...

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

As I understand it they're involved in earthly matters of war.

With that said, yes there are heavens where war, strife and such exists, the devas and asuras warring is one example.
Such places would be lower heavens.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

Yes, and if I'm not mistaken, those seven thrones I mentioned in the first heaven (Shamayim) are the seven thrones of the Dragon. Traditionally the first heaven is the abode of the Dragon. According to Revelation he has seven crowns as in seven thrones.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Would that be Lucifer?

Would that be Māra?

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Excellent, it is a very good book, you just have to have an open mind, I also suggest along with that book, any of Israel Regardies works I suggest a Garden of Pomegranates, the Sephir Yetzirah aka Golem making 101 JK, Kybalion and top it off with Melchizedek and the Mystery of Fire by Manley P. Hall, you will have a good time reading this amazing information that is part and parcel the cornerstone of all occult and secret teachings....
edit on 27-11-2014 by phinubian because: added info

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLaughingGod

Would that be Lucifer?

Lucifer was a Roman astrological deity that inspired Dante and Milton to write their bestsellers. I am talking about the Dragon, Satan, the Old Serpent. God's Right Arm, his weapon of choice when dealing with humans and gods alike.

Would that be Māra?

Māra? I don't know that one too well. Are you talking about the Buddhist demon? He does seem to have a few things in common with the Christian devil. Perhaps the Medieval Church and Milton et al used Māra as inspiration when they put Satan through his makeover in post-evangelic Europe as they built their fear-machine.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: phinubian

Excellent, it is a very good book, you just have to have an open mind, I also suggest along with that book, any of Israel Regardies works I suggest a Garden of Pomegranates, the Sephir Yetzirah aka Golem making 101 JK, Kybalion and top it off with Melchizedek and the Mystery of Fire by Manley P. Hall, you will have a good time reading this amazing information that is part and parcel the cornerstone of all occult and secret teachings....

Well, I mean that Crowley and Regardie has brought about more confusion than actual progress in these ancient magical systems through their studies, as they have further developed the old systems into something that does indeed work magic-wise (or majick, they even reshaped the word for it), but the intrinsic value of these ancient systems, well, I feel they have corrupted the order of things divine.

When dealing with these things, my approach is to go to the source or as close I can get. I keep this book together with books on Kabbalah, like the Bahir and the Sefer Yetzirah, but I should probably move it to the magic section, together with Solomonian magic and Alchemy. I have much of the same approach to astrology. I use the old system of seven stars, since I find that modern astrology is way too caught up in making money on crap that doesn't really work as once intended, and distorting the path to stop other magicians from gaining illumination, and eliminate any criticism and competition through pervasions and pseudo-science-- rather than being true to these ancient systems and use the same language as the ancients if you catch my drift.

That said, I do have quite a few friends who have studied the authors and material you mention, and they certainly find great value for their needs, but I am not really into eternal oaths and their particular reworking of the mechanics of magic to make it work in our days, coupled with modern astrology and cosmology. Thing is, you need quite a lot more than a lodge hierarchy and a new astrological order to reshape magic. They obviously understood these systems, but I see much of their work as sacrilege or chaos, distorting the ancient order of how to cope in these crap-storms. But yeah, one day I guess I'll read up on Regardie and the like. Speaking of the devil: Have you read any of John Dee's stuff?
edit on 28-11-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: misc

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Agreed, but if you do have the foundations first, you can discern what you need to use from the research that has in fact occurred even by the later Occultists, such as Crowley and Regardie, there is some value in their work which of course is based on the facts, rituals and mythos of the Sephir Yetzirah, Book of the Dead and what could predate any notion of how they have been woven into Judaism.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: phinubian

Indeed. But to me modern Majick is more about the pleasures of the ego than making a difference and direct the world according to the old order of things. Like when they changed astrology to include the dark stars stepping up from seven to a total of 10 stars, plus the lot of fortune, added a bunch of fixed stars and well, it's like changing the number of days in the week from 7 to 10 days and expect a smooth transition and for the ancients to understand what day it is today and getting news on what might happen tomorrow. This is not an easy task if you change the core like these people have contributed to. It's like you change our base-10 system into base-12 expecting that the oldies will manage to fill out the tax return forms and count sheep at night with two extra digits.

Works for fogging up reality and hiding from the ancients, but I feel my responsibility is to the ancients as well as to my future self and some sort of genuinely good force that governs stuff like the cosmos and the laws of nature, so I stick to the original plan. I prefer to travel light and go steady, that's all.
edit on 28-11-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: ....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join