It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philae probe detects organic molecules on comet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
No word on whether these are complex organics or not, but if confirmed this could lend a lot of credence to the theory of panspermia. As NDT says, we are star stuff.

online.wsj.com...

"The probe that landed on the surface of a comet has discovered organic molecules, the most rudimentary building blocks of life, according to the German agency involved in the mission.

An instrument aboard the Philae lander detected the molecules after “sniffing” the comet’s atmosphere. An organic compound is one whose molecules contain the carbon atom, the basis of life on earth."

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Vdogg

I guess this new information supports and reinforces the notion of Panspermia.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Think you missed the OP; someone beat you to it.
edit on 18-11-2014 by DigitalJedi805 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Already posted.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
You'll never know what it is until the data is analyzed. I'd say it's made of - paper!

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DigitalJedi805

Damnit, I swear I searched too. Oh well. :-/

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

You'll notice your thread is still here.

Duplicates are allowed if it's say, one that is in the News forum, and one in another forum, such as this situation.

So, there's no problem with your thread being a duplicate because the other one is in News, and you posted this one in Space Exploration.

Discuss away, as there are plenty of members who do not always look in the News section.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I think they found life and that's why it batteries "died". Ice worms maybe lol.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

You'll notice your thread is still here.

Duplicates are allowed if it's say, one that is in the News forum, and one in another forum, such as this situation.

So, there's no problem with your thread being a duplicate because the other one is in News, and you posted this one in Space Exploration.

Discuss away, as there are plenty of members who do not always look in the News section.

Interesting.

I was told the exact opposite on more than one occasion by moderators when I asked privately by u2u if it was ok to post something in Space Exploration and SETI@Home or in Space Exploration and Aliens & UFOs.

So which is it?

Also as far as detecting organics. Organics are common in space and we'd expect to find them on comets because the it is widely though that comets brought organics and other chemicals conducive to life developing, to the early Earth.

top topics

join