It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet landing: Organic molecules detected by Philae

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
My understanding was they got a good whack of data before power down. Its now a matter of interpreting it. They did say they got a run through of all the tests they would have done repeatedly.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Or Maybe 'Philae' (Grin) landed in a puddle and blew a Fuse,,,,,,, Reminds me of a Johnny Cash song, 'Deliahs gone - one more time- Deliahs gone'. AH AHA

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Dam I should have posted. I knew they were gonna say they found something I knew it. Dam

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
So now we know , as we already knew.. That comets are the spermcells of the universe. .Find a good egg to settle and Bingo...

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: notquiteinsane
a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel

I'm just saying the thing was fine for 10+ years but now it "landed" and has no battery?!?

Sounds goofy.

(S+F) (cool stuff.)

I think you mistake Rosetta for Philae. Can't really blame you though, most people have no idea what this is all about and how it really works.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I thought this things battery died? I honestly feel like any type of et is ever discovered it will be held from us until they want the public to know or until a ufo hovers of a city like Los Angeles and millions of people see it. So organic matter found? I'm sure it's nothing or they would have his that from us as well

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
It should have had a radioisotope power system but the flat earthers and tree huggers would have lost their minds. If it had a radioisotope power system to supplement the Solar panels they could have probably got it moved to a better position and it would have lasted for years.

Nasa
edit on 19-11-2014 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
It should have had a radioisotope power system but the flat earthers and tree huggers would have lost their minds. If it had a radioisotope power system to supplement the Solar panels they could have probably got it moved to a better position and it would have lasted for years.

Nasa

I agree but how do we get over the argument of.. if it explodes in the atmosphere then its nuclear rain party time?

These devices should be launched from the moonbase we should have built by now imho .. although you still would have to get the fuel up their unless its mined off world, Asteroid mining? etc.

Remember we only get 1 planet , but we could try 100 moonbases without showering earth with radiation.

Q

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

Our own Earth could be considered to be Egg shaped rather than spherical in nature. And she's been repeated violated in the past by an innumerable amount of both asteroids and comets. Hence the infinite diversity in infinite combinations aka life I imagine.

edit on 19-11-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake
Like a bowl of soup you throw different rocks at.. wait a few months and look diversity of critters crawl out..?

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

I suppose that's one way of looking at it, if our Earth is the soup and those few months translate into billions of years.

edit on 19-11-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

The only issue I see with that statement is they actually haven't sampled the surface at all yet. When the article says it is xx amount of dust over an icy surface, that is actually based off of comet model theory, not any tests the lander has completed yet.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum_Squirrel

The Philae lander has detected organic molecules on the surface of its comet, scientists have confirmed.

Carbon-containing "organics" are the basis of life on Earth and may give clues to chemical ingredients delivered to our planet early in its history.

The compounds were picked up by a German-built instrument designed to "sniff" the comet's thin atmosphere.

Other analyses suggest the comet's surface is largely water-ice covered with a thin dust layer.

Comet landing: Organic molecules detected by Philae

Long has it been surmised that comets could seed life and water in the universe, first question that springs into my mind is ok .. but where did the floating chunks of water come from? travelling at great speeds?
An exploding water planet? maybe their is a Tap/Faucet somewhere

Still amazing news , 10-20 cm of Dust then water ice? , man would i like to drill into that ice , if stuff can survive their life will be prevalent as it survives just about anywhere.

As always we live in exciting times

Q

This is a pretty spectacular discovery, however,
organic compounds does not=life.

Rebel 5

edit on 19-11-2014 by rebelv because: Fix reply quote

edit on 19-11-2014 by rebelv because: fix quote

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lagrimas

There are water stars! They give off steam for hundreds of thousands of miles n when it finally cools down...
Water flying through space!

here

Sorry, the quote I was responding too was:

"a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel

I'm just saying the thing was fine for 10+ years but now it "landed" and has no battery?!?

Sounds goofy.

(S+F) (cool stuff.)"

That's because the landing thruster was malfunctioning.
They went ahead with the landing anyway, which didn't
go quite right; the lander hit hard and bounced at least
a couple of times and ended up landing on its side
at an unintended
location on the Comet. Its solar panels need sunlight,
and the intended landing site would have provided
enough sunlight to the panels providing recharge to the
battery cell, however its sitting in a location that only
gets 1.5 hours of sunlight per day, not enough to re-
charge the battery cell.

In addition, they used a lot of the landers juice, to use
its arm to try to bring it into an upright or semi-upright
position.

At least this is the official story.

Rebel 5

edit on 19-11-2014 by rebelv because: fix quote

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Organic molecules are actually common in space between and around stars. The mechanisms of formation do not need life; they are complex reactions using light and radiation to form the molecules. A list is readily available.... en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Fantastic stuff and what a great time to be alive to see all these developments. Seems the 'dirty snowball' theory is looking correct after all so where does this leave the EU people?

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Pilgrum
Same place they ever were.
Holding a bag full of not much.

But the icy conglomerate model is a bit dated.

edit on 11/20/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   

I think comets are a big fat red herring - in humanity's case.

Maybe comets seeded the firsts races on other planets billions of years ago - and possibly early life on Earth even,

But the simple fact is, according to our understanding of evolution we are really struggling to explain how our brains capacity increased so quickly, there shouldn't have been enough time if we use other animals progression as a guide.

One of the best ways to explore the Universe is using self replicating units - Trillions of them (or the seeds) fired off in every direction. (What are we?)

And imagine if we never managed to develop the required knowledge to warp space and jump through worm holes - we would probably look at firing our DNA out there in the hopes it would take hold and we would flourish once again somewhere else.

Milton Wainwright has found some interesting things up in the stratosphere.

That said, I still believe we had a kick start with the help of another race/intelligence that we can't even begin to understand - and I believe it was a little more direct than firing bio-matter from the other side of the Universe

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: notquiteinsane

Sounds goofy.

(S+F) (cool stuff.)

That is not what happened. It planned on using Solar power. It did not land where they wanted it to (which was a high probability given it's shape), and so the panels will never see sunlight (unless it moves, which is possible).

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

The only issue I see with that statement is they actually haven't sampled the surface at all yet. When the article says it is xx amount of dust over an icy surface, that is actually based off of comet model theory, not any tests the lander has completed yet.

No, it clearly states analysis of the data. The word analyses is used. This is all data collected by the lander.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join