It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US warns Pyongyang to abandon atomic weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 06:59 PM
link   
US President George W. Bush on Sunday warned Pyongyang to abandon its nuclear ambitions as tensions rose again in east Asia following a naval clash between North Korea and South Korea.

"We strongly urge North Korea to visibly, verifiably, and irreversibly dismantle its nuclear weapons programme," Mr Bush said in St Petersburg, following talks with his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin.

"The United States and Russia are determined to meet the threat posed by weapons of mass destruction and the means to deliver them."

news.ft.com.../StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1054416314709&p=1012571727085

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I wish they'd stop messing around and go to war already, we all know that its coming.
Hrm...I'll check the status of the carrier battle groups later to see who is where, and who's on alert.
I just wonder when Tokyo and Seoul will wake up to the "Bowl full of sunshine" breakfast.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This is the same thing we hear everyday. What else is new???

This isn't an attack aganist you DR, but it is an attack aganist GW.

My questions to the US is this:

What makes the US Government think that other countries will accept the fact that certain technology will be restricted to certain nations???

What makes them think that any country cares what the US Government thinks???

In my opinion all technology contains knowledge and all knowledge is vital to the health and being of men, women, and child. Be they Saudi, Russian, French, North Korean, or American. There will never be any stability so as long people oppress others with restrictions.

Don't get me wrong, North Korea has a bad policy on foreign trade and weapons deals, but they only do what others do on do the down low. Or in other words the underground. North Korea doesn't bother going covert. They said screw it. They simply flaunt their so-called glorious Military stance. The Government in Nother Korea will insist it is right and will not listen to any Bush or Blair.

If the US is stupid enough, then we will go to war with this Government and a lot of people will die, mostly Koreans. All for what???

Some stupid proliferation policy that has been proven to be impossible to enforce by all the top ranking Nuke Buffs.

If the US had any sense they wouldn't have called that Government evil, and compared it with Saddam's Regime,(Even though they should and that is really true) they should have realized this:

Instead of making Il Jong another Saddam, like some horrific hermit. Don't allow Il Jong to hide away like Saddam did. Hell, we don't even know where Saddam is(North Korea??, Syria??, England??, United States??, China??, Bali??, Colombia??, Nigeria??, Switzerland??, Sweeden??, Cuba??, WHERE!!!!!!!!!!)

So do we really want the same thing with this freak Jong???

I mean it is already too late and almost bound to be, if not destined. Who knows, for all we know Jong is already gone. Anyway, my point is this:

If we had allowed Jong to tour the world without the fear of persacution due to being labelled, "Evil", than we could have just walked up to him and put on the kuffs. No men need to die, especially our's. We needed only to say, "This man is a criminal."

If anyone one couldn't agree with that assesment than they could haven taken that up in a court of law.

Anyway, that is just one alarmist's opinion on the matter. Don't take it seriously. Why should you???

No one else does.

You See?

[Edited on 2-6-2003 by Abraham Virtue]

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I think that this report isn't a major issue.

North Korea is clearly in the wrong. The only way the regime can survive is by holding out for cash using nukes as a bargaining chip. It has no right to hold that technology for the purposes that it uses it for.
Blackmail is a crime in any man's book.

Ir's obvious that the current situation must come to a head in the next couple of years though.
We give them money and all they do in return is promise not to build more nukes. They still kill their people. They still starve.
Whatever the US says or does it's in a no-win situation in this one. If it goes in hard it's accused of warmongering. If it goes in softly it's accused of bowing to nuclear blackmail.

I still can't see war just yet though. Those nukes are a pretty powerful bargaining chip. Not to mention the thousands of artillery pieces already trained on Seoul.

This one is going to need full UN backing and major diplomacy. I guess we're really going to discover where China stands then.

If it was down to me, I would buy the regime out.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I think Leveller is correct on this. NK is likely using the situation as a bargaining chip, but bargaining with a power that has already lied and attempted to stick it to the US is not a good move, as we would only be asking for it to happen again in the long run.

I see this article as the US counter move in the brinksmanship game: NK is trying to threaten its way into a superior position (after all, the US couldnt really want to push the nuclear button would they?) This response is an attempt to enrage NK, and get them even more bellicose in attitude.

The end result in the US attempting to stir up the hornets nest in NK is to further alienate NK from China. In addition, the more bellicose NK gets, the more nervous China gets, and the more likely China is to yank on NKs chain.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by David
I wish they'd stop messing around and go to war already, we all know that its coming.
Hrm...I'll check the status of the carrier battle groups later to see who is where, and who's on alert.
I just wonder when Tokyo and Seoul will wake up to the "Bowl full of sunshine" breakfast.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 08:25 PM
link   
David, when you find out relay that info to bruce beach at this link...

They are allways looking for aditional sources of that kind of info

www.webpal.org...

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Wow energy, that's an awesome site you posted, thanks!!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Maybe, but then all those bomb shelters and emergency supplies went to waste back then also. What are we to do today, rebuild all those shelters, stock up on supplies and buy air purifiers?! No...we have no more reason to fear nuclear war now then we did then. Mutual destruction is and always will be the key, why else do you think Bush and any other nation want soon to be nuclear powers to disarm? Because if they don't have the means, then we have the way. Personally I think its all BS political babble, politicans will say anything and do anything to gain support for the cause at hand. Remember the saying "No new taxes." How many times you going to fall for that one?! If anyone on this miserable planet has anything to fear its their own elect leaders...or in the US's case, non-elect.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 12:54 AM
link   
the thing i found interesting about the whole thing, is that Russia is backing the USA on this one now, whitch leaves china out in the cold for the moment, could this 'united' statement be an attempt to push China the 3rd super power in to acting against NK? I only meantion this beacause a few weeks back DR posted about a joint Russia/China meeting about something. Im intrested in how China will respond to this joint effort of these 2 super powers.

[Edited on 2-6-2003 by seedy_sid]

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 10:55 AM
link   
SEOUL, South Korea -- North Korea is telling American lawmakers it has nuclear weapons -- and it plans to make more.

That word comes from the head of a congressional delegation after three days of talks in Pyongyang.

But Pennsylvania Republican Curt Weldon says he is optimistic the nuclear standoff can be resolved in a peaceful manner.

Weldon says North Korean leaders told the group they have almost completed reprocessing thousands of spent fuel rods. Experts say the reprocessing could give North Korea several nuclear bombs within months.

www.clickonsa.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2003 @ 12:05 PM
link   

North Korea is telling American lawmakers it has nuclear weapons -- and it plans to make more.

So much for their "we aren't making nuclear weapons, we're using it to provide nuclear power for our citizens" argument.

posted on Jun, 3 2003 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Looks like the hawks are starting to get in on the act.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I always thought Wolfowitz speciality was the Middle East, not the Far East.
I guess he's a hawk with a passport to everywhere at the moment though.

As for China. They seem to be coming onboard more if you believe their press.
They have discovered the G8 and all of the endless possibilities that it's money can provide.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Hong Kong seems to have whetted thier appetites.

top topics

join