It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexism: Men and Women Clothing Critiques

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spruce
Women are the problem. They are hypercritical when they don't need to be for the dumbest of reasons.

Why does it matter what someone wears? Why does it matter if someone wears makeup or styles their hair unfashionably?

It doesn't.

Have you ever applied for a mostly female job such as receptionist? Job requirement: Must be presentable...what they really mean is polished, young and really good looking.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

nothing screams sexy like vertical stripes on top and horizontal stripes on bottom.
ha

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Have you ever applied for a mostly female job such as receptionist? Job requirement: Must be presentable...what they really mean is polished, young and really good looking.

guys get it too..
must be 'clean cut'......you know, no mutton chops and tattoos on the throat...
i always fail that one

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

nothing screams sexy like vertical stripes on top and horizontal stripes on bottom.
ha

I am more of a flowerery and stripey gal myself, with long strands of hippie beads of which the colors do clash.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I am more of a flowerery and stripey gal myself, with long strands of hippie beads of which the colors do clash.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

I am OK are you OK? Keep in mind that I can push the clothing expectation envelope because I am not in the public eye, and I don't care what others think of my garb. If I like it, that is all that matters.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
As an accountant, I purposely chose to work in the blue collar industries just so I could go to work everyday in jeans and t-shirts. When a CFO dressed in jeans and workboots is standing in front of a bunch of welders and machinists discussing production costs, they tend to show you a little more respect by feeling that they can relate to you better.

I avoided the white collar marble tile floor accounting firms like the plague. It was just never my thing... felt too fake to me.

And the bonus: No need to waste thousands of dollars on that ridiculous female-work-wardrobe-thingy I detest so much.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
When a CFO dressed in jeans and workboots is standing in front of a bunch of welders and machinists discussing production costs, they tend to show you a little more respect by feeling that they can relate to you better.

:

good call....

speaking as a machinist, it is super annoying when the suits roll through and start explaining # to you....
show up looking like a rough neck and things go smoother

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Could it be that subliminally men and women are in a never-ending sexual dance where a human woman's (unbeknownst to everyone) nature is to make herself enticing to the opposite sex for procreation? I wonder why male birds have to look the cutest?

I don't think confining woman's nature to within those limits would fully express what it means to be a woman. But differences on a biological level do lead to certain phenomena. When phenomena such as grooming and jewelry is found cross-culturally, regardless of what society it is found in, it is usually biological in nature rather than instilled by society.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I've worn all kinds of different styles in my life.

As I say, "I don't dress, I costume".

Everything from high fashion, business suits, punk, boho, etc. I was 5'8" 120 pounds. I could wear anything.

It was fun, like a daily adventure.

I can tell you, that you are treated differently by what you wear --- by both men and women.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I too ran that gambit, but now I just wanna have fun.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I was blissfully unaware of the level of criticism some women face from other women about their appearance until my wife pointed it out to me.

What I saw:

It was an over-the-shoulder, full body scan that begun at the shoes and ended at the hair. Yes, I have been informed - shoes get noticed. I think most guys only notice shoes that are neon-bright or falling apart -

Now that this 'girl-on-girl body scan' been pointed out to me - I see it very often.

Men can get away with anything - women have laser-beams locked on them 24/7. I don't think I could handle that level of scrutiny - I feel for you ladies - I really do.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I think it's a little too much in women's direction in our culture. In others the make up and jewellery is more equally split between genders.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Me too. Retired.

I now only wear Levis, message T-shirts that make me laugh, and hoodies. Oh! And my MBTs.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Me too. Retired.

I now only wear Levis, message T-shirts that make me laugh, and hoodies. Oh! And my MBTs.

I bought a sparkly Elvis T-shirt especially for Elvis impersonator concerts at Blue Mountain, Ontario.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I will just toss my own experience in here.

I wear a suit and tie every day. I have a wide variety of them; blues, blacks, browns, dark greys, light greys, greens, pinstripe versions, window pane versions, sharkskin versions, herringbone versions. I don't have to wear them, but I enjoy it, and I do get noticed and complimented (or critiqued) for my various suits + shirt/tie combinations.

I can agree with what much of the thread said about most men only wearing the bland/same color suits most of the time not getting noticed.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TycoonBarnaby

I too have done the shimmy in finery, but don't you ever yearn to just be comfortable and carefree?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

A properly tailored suit is quite comfortable.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TycoonBarnaby

A properly tailored suit is quite comfortable.

Can you do the shimmy in it?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Can't say that I have a desire to, but yes, yes I could.

Just because I wear a suit and tie every day (well, every work day, and special occasions) doesn't mean I don't go hiking in the mountains/swimming in the oceans/hunting/fishing/bike riding/etc.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join