It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexism: Men and Women Clothing Critiques

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

originally posted by: AgentShillington

Because that is what is expected of men's fashion. Unobtrusive and banal.

so he wore what people expect men to wear and when he did, nobody noticed...

OH THE HORROR!!

Yup. You got it. And if a woman did the same... they would have noticed.

Surprise! That's sexist.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

you mean if women wear a different 'style' every day like it is 'expected'

please man....youre trying to force an argument

men are expected to wear drab stuff..he did and nobody noticed...

so an equal experiment would be for a woman to wear a different style every day because that is what is expected right?

im done with you

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
a reply to: AgentShillington

you mean if women wear a different 'style' every day like it is 'expected'

YES!!!!

If there are different societal rules for men and women based on arbitrary factors like "expectations" than it's a sexist societal rule.

You got it! You understand.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington
So, because a woman would get called out after wearing the same clothes after 3 days, no one would get a date from shaving? I don't quite understand.

Oiy...

She would get called out because the 'norm' that she (or more specifically her producers and 'design team') has presented is a visually, and easily discernible, different outfit for every broadcast. Switching to the 'same' is deviating from the 'norm' and causing it to become the focus of attention.

As one poster pointed out, if the male anchor had shown up with a bright Hawaiian shirt on, he would be noticed for the repetitive wears immediately because he has deviated from the norm and has made it the focal point of the attention.

Similar to shaving for a date when you normally carry facial hair.

Or dressing up for a date when you normally wear casual clothing.

It isn't that he did it and nobody noticed, or she got noticed...he chose something that didn't differentiate from the norm, and was 'shocked' that people didn't notice. That isn't shocking, that is the expected outcome.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
This thread just skims the surface of this particular societal problem. It's more complex that just clothing when it deals with a women's appearance bodily or otherwise, in the media, Hollywood or anywhere for that matter. Here's what Ashley Judd has to say about it.

Judd addresses the depressing reality that a lot of the negative focus and conversation about women’s bodies is being initiated and continued by women, and that “patriarchy is not men. Patriarchy is a system in which both women and men participate,” and “we are unable at times to identify ourselves as our own denigrating abusers, or as abusing other girls and women.”

Ask especially how we can leverage strong female-to-female alliances to confront and change that there is no winning here as women. It doesn’t actually matter if we are aging naturally, or resorting to surgical assistance. We experience brutal criticism. The dialogue is constructed so that our bodies are a source of speculation, ridicule, and invalidation, as if they belong to others—and in my case, to the actual public. (I am also aware that inevitably some will comment that because I am a creative person, I have abdicated my right to a distinction between my public and private selves, an additional, albeit related, track of highly distorted thinking that will have to be addressed at another time).

www.womenactionmedia.org...

www.thedailybeast.com...

edit on 18-11-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Their harshest critics are probably other women. I have worked with the ladies and they always had tension with each other.

When I was at work the other day, a guy made a comment to a girl we work with like "Oh, I like the new nails!", to which the girl replied with something along the lines of "I hate getting my nails done, but the other girls all had theirs done so I had to".
I'm willing to bet 99% of the comments about this woman's appearance only came from other women. Guys in general simply don't care how a woman does her hair or what color dress she wears.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
Guys in general simply don't care how a woman does her hair or what color dress she wears.

Ya think?

Try not doing it and see what guys say.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Guys in general simply don't care how a woman does her hair or what color dress she wears.

Ya think?

I'm a guy, and I could care less what someone's hair looks like. I'm not going to be particularly attracted to a female who feels the need to do up their hair and put on makeup and wear stylish clothes simply for the sake of appearance. I just see it as being superficial and shallow. What should be important is who someone is as a person, what they believe in, their psychological makeup... Not how they decide to style their hair or the kind of clothing they decide to wear.

Edit to add:
The idea that there is some standard of beauty that women have to abide by is an absolute lie. Please stop thinking you need to look a certain way.
edit on 11/18/2014 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Ya think?

I'm a guy, and I could care less what someone's hair looks like.

Lots of men say that.

But, over the years I've found that not to be the reality -- with most men -- not all, of course.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It's easy to blame society for such phenomena, but these sorts of connections are held together by no more than silly string. The study of infant perception in face recognition shows that even before society has had a chance to indoctrinate, the majority of infants of both genders prefer to look at females.

Nature is the most sexist entity at work in all these cases.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
It's easy to blame society for such phenomena, but these sorts of connections are held together by no more than silly string. The study of infant perception in face recognition shows that even before society has had a chance to indoctrinate, the majority of infants of both genders prefer to look at females.

Nature is the most sexist entity at work in all these cases.

Could it be that subliminally men and women are in a never-ending sexual dance where a human woman's (unbeknownst to everyone) nature is to make herself enticing to the opposite sex for procreation? I wonder why male birds have to look the cutest?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight
As it pertains to infants, it probably has more to do with instinctual knowledge of where food can be found.

The sexual dance wouldn't typically occur (instinctively) until we are of age to reproduce. Granted, I'm sure that exceptions could be found.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420
As it pertains to infants, it probably has more to do with instinctual knowledge of where food can be found.

The sexual dance wouldn't typically occur (instinctively) until we are of age to reproduce. Granted, I'm sure that exceptions could be found.

I was fastforwarding to when nature gets a hold of us humans on a sexual level as LesMis was eluding.

Then there are societal studies:

"According to a new study commissioned by Girls Inc., a nonprofit that helps young women reach their full potential, girls are facing increasing pressure, at ever younger ages, to please. “Society still sees girls through a gender lens that requires them to be pretty and passive, while increasingly expecting girls to be smart and successful,” says Joyce M. Roche, Girls Inc.’s President and CEO."

www.education.com...
edit on 18-11-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Excellent contributions in this thread. Thank you.

Les Mis, maybe babies like to look at the female face because an infant's first and most bonding relationship is with its mother. So, the results you speak of may be more related to survival than sexism.
edit on 11/18/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Of course it is sexist. Look at FOX news for a prime example. Two guys dressed from the feet up to a necktie constricting their blood flow with a pretty woman between them dressed so scantily if she moves we will see her vajayjay...

If a man were to wear a pair of shorts and read the news obviously he could not be taken seriously. or have his shirt unbuttoned showing his chest. The ladies are eye candy and nothing else.

Give a woman her perfect outfit and make a man wear the same weight of clothing, adjusted for size, and see what he would have to do.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
And all this time I was worried about what clothes to wear daily! Relieved to know that nobody will even notice.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: InvisibleOwl
And all this time I was worried about what clothes to wear daily! Relieved to know that nobody will even notice.

Just other women

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: corvuscorrax

I should have specified I am a guy

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: InvisibleOwl

I deliberately wear mismatched outfits to create a buzz in the matrix.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Women are the problem. They are hypercritical when they don't need to be for the dumbest of reasons.

Why does it matter what someone wears? Why does it matter if someone wears makeup or styles their hair unfashionably?

It doesn't.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join