It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexism: Men and Women Clothing Critiques

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
a reply to: AgentShillington

The male grooming and fashion industry is massive.

Which brings us right back to the point of the article. In a society where male grooming and fashion is so extensive, the lack of comments on this man's clothing choices becomes even more of an indicator of a sexist society.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
It does when the discussion points to mostly or only women being the criticizers...did you read any of the posts?

As I said, women can be sexist (toward women), too. It doesn't really matter who did the criticizing, the point is that no one cared or noticed that the man wore the same thing every day for a year... Could a woman do that without being noticed? No. Because people look at women in a certain light that is much more physically-centered compared to how they look at a man.

And I mean people, not men. This isn't a man vs woman thing. It's the way our whole society perceives women (visual, make-up, hair, smile, size) as compared to how we perceive men (competence, intelligence, sense of humor, ability).

Not everything on ATS has to be a knock-down, drag-out fight about one side vs the other. It's just an interesting experiment I heard about and thought I'd see what ATS thought about it.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I agree both male and females.notice what a woman wears and judge her for it.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
, the point is that no one cared or noticed that the man wore the same thing every day for a year... Could a woman do that without being noticed? No. Because people look at women in a certain light that is much more physically-centered compared to how they look at a man.

i still say his experiment had a flaw....
these news anchor dudes look like they wear the same suit every day anyway...the color/design of the tie changes..thats about it.
with the way ladies dress in general, it is a lot harder to miss.

if he would have worn a certain pattern or a shirt with a certain picture on it every day, people would have noticed...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Yup, it's very telling that nobody noticed him wearing the same suit every day for a year.

It's been drilled into society's skulls for centuries... women are arm candy/mantel pieces/fixtures... valued and judged by their outward appearance. Women themselves fell into this meme and became their own worst enemies, but not only that, they also learned from a very young age to use that outward appearance as a tool to attain their wants and needs.

It's only been in the recent few decades or so that the female gender is finally getting recognized and taken seriously for what's going on between their ears, and not just what their cup size is.

And it's going to be several decades yet before society learns to let go of the 'arm candy' mindset (if at all)... even more so for the women themselves because that tool has been such a trusty old friend for so long.

It's a sad state of affairs what society has done to itself when you stop to think about it.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
i still say his experiment had a flaw....
these news anchor dudes look like they wear the same suit every day anyway...the color/design of the tie changes..thats about it.
with the way ladies dress in general, it is a lot harder to miss.

if he would have worn a certain pattern or a shirt with a certain picture on it every day, people would have noticed...

That isn't a flaw in the experiment, it's the whole point. A man can wear the same clothes every single day for a year on national television and not have anyone notice because of the sexist standards put on women that are not placed on men. A woman could not have done the same.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

or could it be a dark blue suit and a blue suit and a black suit all kinda look the same on tv so nobody notices...

a suit is a suit.

anchors wear suits...every time they are on air.
ladies might wear a long dress. then a skirt. then a pants suit...

i guess i am the only one that understands this....

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

or could it be a dark blue suit and a blue suit and a black suit all kinda look the same on tv so nobody notices...

a suit is a suit.

anchors wear suits...every time they are on air.
ladies might wear a long dress. then a skirt. then a pants suit...

i guess i am the only one that understands this....

So, do you believe a woman could get away with wearing the same pantsuit every day for a year and no one would notice?

ETA:

Anchors are men AND women, btw.
edit on 18-11-2014 by AgentShillington because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
had he worn this shirt

people would have noticed he was wearing the same thing on day 2.

he chose to be very subtle with it and wear a suit that looks like every other suit he has worn...

flaw

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

i think people would notice.....
in general ladies dont wear a pant suit every single day while on the air though and that is why people would notice.

in general, every male anchor from every news station wears a boring ass suit..every day.....

why must you make an issue out of nothing

i know anchors are men and women....i made a mistake with my language..pick it apart.
i have a coupe sites open and my daughter is in banshee mode....sorry for typing too fast
edit on 18-11-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Well yeah, because he makes a good point. A standard clothing design (blah suit & tie, for example) isn't going to be noticed after a while. Someone wearing different styles, colors, etc will be noticed. We had a weather lady down in FL who wore suits. I only noticed it when she started adding some color to her suit options. It was the bright-arse red one that had me take notice in the first place -- normally, she wore stuff like gray or black I think.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

To be honest?

If the female anchor had always worn suits, I doubt anybody would have noticed if she wore the same suit everyday either!

People are creatures of habit. Our entire sensory system is designed to highlight changes from habits/norms/etc.

It is a crucial and instinctual self defense system.

Some where along the line (maybe from the beginning), that same system was used for mates to differentiate themselves from other potential mates.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

If you think people would notice that a woman would do that, you understand the point of the experiment. He was pointing out that very fact.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

To be honest?

If the female anchor had always worn suits, I doubt anybody would have noticed if she wore the same suit everyday either!

Absolutely not.

I don't think she would make it 2 weeks, and I am being generous, I bet it would be major news after 3 days.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Well yeah, because he makes a good point. A standard clothing design (blah suit & tie, for example) isn't going to be noticed after a while. Someone wearing different styles, colors, etc will be noticed.

of course it wouldnt be noticed...thats why this guy picked the basic drab suit to be very subtle about his little experiment.
had he worn the shirt i posted people would have noticed right away......

i think people just like to nit pick and make issues out of nothing

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

why did he wear a drab suit for his little experiment?

any idea?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

why did he wear a drab suit for his little experiment?

any idea?

Because that is what is expected of men's fashion. Unobtrusive and banal.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

If what you say is true, than no man would have ever gotten a date from shaving.

Or doing his hair, dressing 'up', etc.

And,neither would any women!

We do these things because it differentiates us from the 'norm' and puts 'us' at the focus of their sensory input.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington

Because that is what is expected of men's fashion. Unobtrusive and banal.

so he wore what people expect men to wear and when he did, nobody noticed...

OH THE HORROR!!

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

If what you say is true, than no man would have ever gotten a date from shaving.

Or doing his hair, dressing 'up', etc.

And,neither would any women!

We do these things because it differentiates us from the 'norm' and puts 'us' at the focus of their sensory input.

So, because a woman would get called out after wearing the same clothes after 3 days, no one would get a date from shaving? I don't quite understand.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join