It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC to get 10,000 public surveillance devices.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic
Thousands of wi-fi equipped "pay phone kiosks" costing over $200,000,000 will be installed throughout NYC.

Pay Phones in New York City Will Become Free Wi-Fi Hot Spots

Passing by in a vehicle or on foot will automatically record the location, time, identity, route and accompanying persons.

This information can/will be accompanied by a video image of the 'persons of interest'.

Over 4 years ago I had a falling out with Verizon. Actually I have had several falling outs with Verizon since 1999, but I am stuck, since it is the only carrier that I can get a signal out of, in my neck of the woods 8% of the time. That is great since the with all the others I only get a signal between 0 to 3% of the time. I have never understood how they can get a signal out into the middle of the jungle, with no electricity, for the "Computer For Every Child Project, yet I can't get a consistent signal of more than 1 bar in rural south Florida, with cell towers all around me.

The fight, 4 years ago, happened when my cell phone died, exactly seven days after the warranty expired, and they were trying to force me to get a new phone, which was free, but I would lose my unlimited data plan. I refused and since my brother got a new phone every year, I just took his old phone. This worked until recently when he got his new phone but had to send in his old one. The phone I have now has been one of the worst phone I have ever owned. I don't want to anger any Droid Razr fans, but this phone has been nothing but one nightmare headache from the moment I touched it. I suffered through because it was free and I got to keep my unlimited plan. This is important to me because since I can't use my phone to make or receive calls, I can connect to the internet by wifi.

Now this piece of junk is hit or miss and barely holding on, so I have to get a new phone, but I am not going to give up my unlimited plan and I am not going to pay over $50.00 for any phone. So I have decided that maybe I don't need a fancy high tech phone after all. I have wifi, so I can connect to the net with a cheap tablet or computer. All I need is a cheap phone to make and receive calls when I am away from home. So I am seriously thinking about ditching the ridiculously priced smart phones and going back to using a phone the plain old fashion way. That should make it little bit more difficult for these kind of trackers, or maybe not.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Sounds like a great plan. I remember back when the English installed an elaborate camera system in London that wasn't very well recieved. This New York version seems more modernized and trustworthy.

Thousands of wi-fi equipped "pay phone kiosks" costing over $200,000,000 will be installed throughout NYC.

Pay Phones in New York City Will Become Free Wi-Fi Hot Spots

Passing by in a vehicle or on foot will automatically record the location, time, identity, route and accompanying persons.

This information can/will be accompanied by a video image of the 'persons of interest'.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
It is a thing to worry about if the people doing the surveillance don't got your interests in their favor.

originally posted by: Ceeker63
At least someone is watching,
. Surveillance is not a bad thing, it helps capture the bad guys. If you are not doing anything wrong what is there to worry about? I for one do not mind if some entity is doing profiling. Other large metropolitan areas have surveillance. Not a big deal in my book. IMO

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I really cannot understand for the life of me why teenagers and other people are not just shooting out cameras everyday??? Seriously you can destroy most of these cctv cameras with a pump .22 pellet gun from walmart as long as you hit the optics part and not the housing. Or hell just put a suppressor on an SBR with zero'd optics and you could take out dozens of cameras in a single night. why don't people do this???

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Give a government that kind of power and they can never be 'de-throned'.

And citizens become subjects.

The police operates independently from the government. Who do you think arrested Nixon during the Watergate? Nixon himself?

Nixon was never arrested...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
At least someone is watching,
. Surveillance is not a bad thing, it helps capture the bad guys. If you are not doing anything wrong what is there to worry about? I for one do not mind if some entity is doing profiling. Other large metropolitan areas have surveillance. Not a big deal in my book. IMO

i bet your a public servant, towing the party line and report to your bosses every morning the stuff your read and the dis-info you posted.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DYepes
I really cannot understand for the life of me why teenagers and other people are not just shooting out cameras everyday??? Seriously you can destroy most of these cctv cameras with a pump .22 pellet gun from walmart as long as you hit the optics part and not the housing. Or hell just put a suppressor on an SBR with zero'd optics and you could take out dozens of cameras in a single night. why don't people do this???

We live in a country where I cant drive a used car I just registered the day before three miles (quite literally) to the inspection sticker station to get it inspected to have an inspection sticker-- without getting a $130 ticket for not having a valid inspection sticker.

...and you want to know why people aren't going around with 22's shooting out cameras?

Cops straight up murder dogs just for walking around IN THEIR OWN YARDS. They shoot unarmed people. What do you think would happen if someone went around NYC shooting off 22's at pay phones?

They'd be shot dead (estimated 500 rounds fired, 50 hitting the person) before they got to the second camera.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DYepes

Yeah we try that in the UK, they just stick local taxes up to pay for the damage.

Still i rather take our CCTV over american trigger happy cops.

New york it seems will have both,....,sucks to be a new yorker......

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
well NYC it would I suppose be difficult to conceal anything to shoot out cameras with. With in a typical city that is not giant skyscrapers for miles around, I would imagine it being quite simple at night when there is barely any cars on the road with something you can hide under your jacket. We should probably get this ball rolling. I mean after all, if people can be raped and/or murdered on the street in the middle of the night without any witnesses (happens everyday night somewhere in this country) it would have to be magnitudes simpler to take out cameras and walk off into the darkness.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join