It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC to get 10,000 public surveillance devices.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Thousands of wi-fi equipped "pay phone kiosks" costing over $200,000,000 will be installed throughout NYC.

Pay Phones in New York City Will Become Free Wi-Fi Hot Spots

Passing by in a vehicle or on foot will automatically record the location, time, identity, route and accompanying persons.

This information can/will be accompanied by a video image of the 'persons of interest'.

edit on 18-11-2014 by SkepticOverlord because: fixed link

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

From the link…

It is expected to cost more than $200 million to build the network.

That will "blossom".

The city’s Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications said the network would be 100 times as fast as average municipal Wi-Fi systems, and more than 20 times as fast as average home Internet service in the city.

For the watchers it means they can locate someone "a 100 times faster".

Officials also sought to pre-empt the privacy concerns. The city said it would “never share or sell any protected personal information” collected on the network.

Exception clauses in the privacy act with your contract will be pages long, as usual.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
10,000 reason why i'm glad i don't live in NYC.
Pretty creepy.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
So they want to turn NYC into London. Gotta love these 1984 tactics.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Think of them as 'robot policemen' on a stationary beat.

Of course the next step will be mobile robot policemen.

Think mini predator drone quad copter with sub-machine gun.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
At least someone is watching,
. Surveillance is not a bad thing, it helps capture the bad guys. If you are not doing anything wrong what is there to worry about? I for one do not mind if some entity is doing profiling. Other large metropolitan areas have surveillance. Not a big deal in my book. IMO

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

" If you are not doing anything wrong what is there to worry about?"

I thought this line of justification was all but gone by now.

Peace

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
. Surveillance is not a bad thing, it helps capture the bad guys. If you are not doing anything wrong what is there to worry about? I for one do not mind if some entity is doing profiling. Other large metropolitan areas have surveillance. Not a big deal in my book. IMO

Give a government that kind of power and they can never be 'de-throned'.

And citizens become subjects.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

I live in Canada. In the city I live in, criminal activity was in a spike. It has significantly decreased when the police started putting cameras up. The truth is, society is too damn stupid to do without any surveillance. We ATSers may not like it, but it's the truth. As soon as authority goes away, people become asses once again.

It's the sad truth.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic

The police operates independently from the government. Who do you think arrested Nixon during the Watergate? Nixon himself?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63

And then they change what they define as "wrong" and it steps on your toes- and it will be too late to do anything about it.

First they come for the bad guys- then they come for the preppers. (See? Because they're considered terrorists, now...)
Then the weirdos, the homeless, and the mis-fits....

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
And then they change what they define as "wrong" and it steps on your toes- and it will be too late to do anything about it.

There are objective definitions of right and wrong, such as the Golden Rules, which is universal.

<

edit on 18-11-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

originally posted by: Psynic

The police operates independently from the government. Who do you think arrested Nixon during the Watergate? Nixon himself?

If Nixon had this kinda technology, he'd still be President.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I admit I sometimes have a hard time understanding technology.

Let's say that a person does not have a cell phone, nor a laptop...how can a person make a phone call from these new updated versions?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
why would anyone want to live in NYC...it's crowded, you pay out enormous amounts of money for shelter, and other living expenses, you are under constant surveillance, and you are ground zero for any type of terrorist attack....no thanks

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
No problem - just dont go online whilst walking around central NYC. Believe it or not, it is actually possible to go for hours without having to send a tweet or watch youtube. Honest! You dont even die!!!

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

And it smells. Oh wait, it's a spotless utopia.

Yeah sure.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyMayhew
No problem - just dont go online whilst walking around central NYC. Believe it or not, it is actually possible to go for hours without having to send a tweet or watch youtube. Honest! You dont even die!!!

oh that statement was just too rich lol. todays youth go into a state of catatonic coma upon disconnection from their life invader tracking devices.

the bible said we would voluntarily take the mark of the beast on our hand or forehead.

what a coincidence that cell phones are always in our hand or up to our heads....

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DYepes

Nah it's money. It's always on our mind and we can't "survive" without it. So it's always in our hands.

One episode of the Andy Griffith Show had a hermit named Regis who was protesting gold in the town. He shouted "Barbarians! Worshipers of Mammon!", that man outside the system was correct.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: caladonea

I admit I sometimes have a hard time understanding technology.

Let's say that a person does not have a cell phone, nor a laptop...how can a person make a phone call from these new updated versions?

Sounds like you just walk up to it and 'log on'.

A camera will record your image and scan your retina and then put you into the 'special' file for luddites and other uncooperative types after first filtering your voice for key words and updating your terrorist risk level score, and that of your parties.

No charge.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join