It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oddity on Mars Pic - Structure? Would be huge if so...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Ok, so this is odd to me, and not my usual posting topic, and the pic came up from another thread discussing a large square with right angles on Mars. This is the larger picture of the entire area.

I have outlined in black the area that is really odd to me. Two circles connected with two smaller circles equidistant from the others. I also outlined one of the smaller ones in green that appears to have a hexagonal shape around it. You may have to open the source file linked at the bottom to see it in larger form to see the hexagonal shape I outlined in green.

I just find the symmetry of these circle formations to be a bit too perfect to be coincidence.

Source of pic from DJW001 from this thread...www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 11/18/14 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Might be able to see it a bit better in this one blown up a bit.....

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe
I usually dismiss these Mars picture anomalies, but this one is a little weird. It's very symmetrical and the circles are a bit too perfect. Could be a coincidence, but it's unlikely. Thank you for the head scratcher haha. S&F!

Also notice how the bigger circle is connected to the circle on top of it.
edit on 18-11-2014 by WanderingSage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: WanderingSage
I usually dismiss these Mars picture anomalies, but this one is a little weird. It's very symmetrical and the circles are a bit too perfect. Could be a coincidence, but it's unlikely. Thank you for the head scratcher haha. S&F!

Also notice how the bigger circle is connected to the circle on top of it.

Yeah..that was what caught my attention in the first place....almost like a "covered walkway" between the two circles or something.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Maybe a simple cool coincidence.

The Infinite Monkey Theorem:

The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.

The probability of such coincidence is low, but superior to zero. This principle applies to craters on the Moon too.

Nevertheless, S&F for the interesting find!

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Seems like there may have been a structure there at one point, but maybe not anymore or like you said it could be buried. Like the tootsie pop the world may never know.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Maybe a simple cool coincidence.

The Infinite Monkey Theorem:

The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.

The probability of such coincidence is low, but superior to zero. This principle applies to craters on the Moon too.

Nevertheless, S&F for the interesting find!

Yeah, I know there is always a chance, but the symmetry of the placement of each circle, that they don't appear to be craters, but more formations above ground as shown by the shadows, and that the smaller circle on the left has a hexagonal shape around it all made me think this was really odd and not a natural formation.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Well, I certainly agree that it is most odd-looking.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Sometimes perspective is everything.

Take a look at it flipped 180. They no longer look above ground:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Well....they actually still look above ground to me. Especially the one with the hexagonal shape around it...the hexagonal shape appears to be indented, but the circle in the center of that shape appears raised and with a shadow cast from it. If these were craters, wouldn't the shadow be on the inside of the shapes, not the outside? The shadow appears to be on the outside of these to me.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I have yet to see any large features on Mars that appear unnatural. IMO, these are just random craters.a reply to: Vasa Croe

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Greetings,

Maybe its just me, and I'm not doubting what your seeing, but maybe its just me that I see craters.

Having said that, the flipped images that eriktheawful has posted are somewhat strange in that they give a different perspective of the, erm, craters.

Spiro

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
a reply to: eriktheawful

Well....they actually still look above ground to me. Especially the one with the hexagonal shape around it...the hexagonal shape appears to be indented, but the circle in the center of that shape appears raised and with a shadow cast from it. If these were craters, wouldn't the shadow be on the inside of the shapes, not the outside? The shadow appears to be on the outside of these to me.

Another reason I say that is if you look at the obvious crater in the same pic, the sunlight angle is different on the inside rim of this crater, where if the other was a crater it should have a dark rim on the same side as this one. This is both shown in the same orientation cropped from the same pic....see how the shadow on the two different areas is on the opposite side of the one I am questioning compared to the crater in the top pic?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Here, take a look again:

The sun is lighting up the sides of the craters on the right side, and shadows are being cast on their left side. They are in the ground, so craters.

However, I've circled a spot in red. It's not a crater, it's a butte sticking up from the ground. Sun is lighting the left side and shadow to the right. So it's not a crater. But instead a large mound sticking up.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

It's possible they're as a result of a Caldera Volcano like these.

geology.com...

edit on 18-11-2014 by gortex because: edit to add link

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

That is because this is actual two different images stichted together. They were taken at different times, so the light and shadows will be in different places.

You can see the stitch line going across the middle of the original image.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Except that the Moon is geologically inactive. And has been that way for about the last 1 billion years.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne
a reply to: gortex

Except that the Moon is geologically inactive. And has been that way for about the last 1 billion years.

Right.

Except the OP image is from Mars. Not the moon.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I see a berm thrown up around an impact crater. Looks more recent than the surroundings.

From this distance the lines appears sharper than if you got closer up. I don't know what the scale is or the diameter of the crater in question.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Oddity on Mars Pic - Structure?

Who mentioned the Moon ?
Mars was very geologically active and it's now believed some features that were presumed to be impact craters are actually Calderas.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join